IGNORED

my view on the console war (you know which one)

2600problems

ColecoVision was definitely the winner, I think.

Wait... you are talking about the Arcadia/5200/ColecoVision/Vectrex console war, right?

Nope. That person was talking about the console war between the Sega Genesis and the Super Nintendo.

Edited by 8th lutz

Been an awful lot of wannabe policing in the forums of late. We can talk about what we want, and we don't need people coming in to tell us that they don't like a thread or a tangent or whatever.

Back on the SEGA tip, as a longtime SEGA fan, my buddy came up to me one day with some gaming magazine announcing the Dreamcast. As a Saturn owner, I remember being so disgusted (by Saturn being left out to dry so fast) that I vowed never to buy one (I think I broke that vow around 2006 or so). That was basically when SEGA "died" for me. In 1999 or 2000, I bought my buddy's PlayStation (once he had shown me some games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Parasite Eve) after years of being staunchly anti-Sony and didn't look back.

Neo Geo also had a decent supply of run n' gun/platforming games too, puzzles, and brawling games. It wasn't just fighting and (space) shooters, and a selection of solid sports/racing games too. They only really lacked in RPG style games, the closest being those adventure/rpg(very lite) stuff like Crossed Swords 1 and 2(MVS boot was made but a CD game really) and Super Spy.

This is a fair point. I was obviously exaggerating when I said that it's all shooters and fighters.

Of course there are great Neo Geo games that don't quite fall into either category such as the Metal Slug series, Sengoku 2, and Shock Troopers.

Us regular folks, who might wear tennis shoes or an occasional python boot, know that exquisite little system as way too expensive.

Perhaps the peasantry might consider renting one on a per-play basis at their local amusement parlour.

Comical snobbery aside, (though it is immense fun) one way that Neo Geo may have won the 16-bit war was simply by continuing to fight it half a decade after the others pulled out and moved on. Its best years were after the 16-bit era. SNK had too many of them in arcades to ignore the market, and it didn't work well when they tried. They'd set themselves up as the biggest bargain in the industry, and the pricey home system was mostly along for the ride. Toward the end I do wonder how many copies of each AES title they were selling. I bet it was under 100 per region.

Edited by Reaperman

This is a fair point. I was obviously exaggerating when I said that it's all shooters and fighters.

Of course there are great Neo Geo games that don't quite fall into either category such as the Metal Slug series, Sengoku 2, and Shock Troopers.

Exactly. To give you an idea of my sincerity of it. Here's what I currently own, and on top of that I also have two shooters and an arcade single screen platformer title in the mail currently or soon as well.

Baseball Stars, Burning Fight, Bust A Move, Bust A Move Again, Crossed Swords 2, Cyber Lip, Eightman(kit), King of the Monsters, League Bowling, Magician Lord, Metal Slug, Metal Slug 2, Mutation Nation, NAM1975, Neo Turf Masters(kit), Ninja Combat, Sonic Wings 2, Sonic Wings 3, Spin Master, Strikers 1945 Plus. Actual fighters -- The Last Blade, Samurai Shodown 2 and 3, KOF 98, and World Heroes. All that I have on MVS along with that 161in1. So I'm one of those odd stand outs who really got into the non-fighting NG library and find it stands tall up against the 16bit giants of the era and then some. NG is something I've enjoyed since 1990 and played it whenever I could, and when the NGPC popped out same there too, so when I had a chance nearly a year ago now to get a MVS cabinet with 9 legit +multicart in a bundle locally I snapped it up no second guessing even occurred there. :D

If money wasn't a problem Super Dodgeball I'd have first, then stuff like Sengoku 2 and 3, Twinkle Star Sprites as well, and a few others that are in that $150-300+ range.

Perhaps the peasantry might consider renting one on a per-play basis at their local amusement parlour.

Comical snobbery aside, (though it is immense fun) one way that Neo Geo may have won the 16-bit war was simply by continuing to fight it half a decade after the others pulled out and moved on. Its best years were after the 16-bit era. SNK had too many of them in arcades to ignore the market, and it didn't work well when they tried. They'd set themselves up as the biggest bargain in the industry, and the pricey home system was mostly along for the ride. Toward the end I do wonder how many copies of each AES title they were selling. I bet it was under 100 per region.

You can either consider that SNK won the war by managing to keep the Neo Geo system alive way past the others... Or more accurately, considere that they lost the battle as they had to keep using old hardware to survive, and they only tries to modernize or replace it (Neo Geo CD, Neo Geo 64) were not so great.

Anyway, putting Neo Geo in the war is unfair; like Nintendo is doing those days since the Wii, SNK were in their own niche market, and aside from the CPS Charger, they never had any real competitors.

You can't lose to someone else when you're playing alone.

Edited by CatPix

No way. Nintendo was the clear winner of that particular console war. Individually, both the NES and SNES outsold the Genesis in every major region (except Europe where Genesis barely edged them). Combined, the NES/SNES were a devastating combo punch from Nintendo. Start talking about software, and it's not even close. 13 SNES games sold over 3 million copies each. Only 2 Genesis games (both Sonic) can say the same. Not even from a sales standpoint, the SNES had the more memorable Gen-defining games. Super Mario World, Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past, Star Fox, Final Fantasy III, Donkey Kong Country, etc...

Don't get me wrong though. I appreciate Sega as a console maker a lot more now than when I was a kid. I just recently started growing my Sega CD and Sega Saturn collections. But, Nintendo won that war hands down.

No way. Nintendo was the clear winner of that particular console war. Individually, both the NES and SNES outsold the Genesis in every major region (except Europe where Genesis barely edged them). Combined, the NES/SNES were a devastating combo punch from Nintendo. Start talking about software, and it's not even close. 13 SNES games sold over 3 million copies each. Only 2 Genesis games (both Sonic) can say the same. Not even from a sales standpoint, the SNES had the more memorable Gen-defining games. Super Mario World, Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past, Star Fox, Final Fantasy III, Donkey Kong Country, etc...

Don't get me wrong though. I appreciate Sega as a console maker a lot more now than when I was a kid. I just recently started growing my Sega CD and Sega Saturn collections. But, Nintendo won that war hands down.

Even if you take the traditional view that the two systems ended the generation effectively tied... that still means that Nintendo managed to get 50% of the market, despite launching considerably later and with a more expensive unit. That absolutely speaks to Nintendo's strengths at the time. If the generation ended in a tie, I'd call that the tiebreaker.

And now for a completely different viewpoint - neither system "won"!

In my household anyway. No Nintendo or Sega systems here currently. The system(s) that have lasted the longest and played consistently throughout the years, all bear the brand 'Atari'... with Intellivision a not_so_close second. :love:

Not even the mighty ColecoVision has ever come close to dethroning Atari here. Speaking of which, ColecoVision had an adapter to play Atari. So did the "intelligent" Intellivision. But have you ever seen an adapter for Atari that plays ColecoVision or Intellivision games on any of their systems? Hell no you haven't! lol

Decade after decade, it's Atari game systems FTW. :rolling:

yes, I'm only joking - but no, I'm not kidding

• Like 2

This thread is mentally challenged.

That's not a good alternative. Mentally challenged could simply mean you're working on a complicated task that requires plenty of thought. You could be mentally challenged rebuilding a four barrel carburetor.

Arguing the offensiveness of synonyms is stupid.

I went through 700 SNES roms (took me a week) on an emulator pulling each of them up and judging them good or bad. Now I am 100 roms into the Genesis library and I am having a really hard time. The difference in graphics is stunning. The winner of the console wars? The turbografx-16 because Shmups.

Edited by airsoftmodels
  • Like 1

the game gear was revolutionary for the time, had color, yes it was a battery hog but at least you didn't have to look at pea soup green.

The PC Engine GT/TurboExpress was released at the same time as the Game Gear and the Atari Lynx the year earlier.

I love it, but it was outdated on arrival and nothing about it was revolutionary. Playing compromised ports of existing SMS games was cool, but not as cool or convenient as playing your actual existing TurboChip/PC Engine games with full screen display and a clear screen.

It had a TV tuner like the TurboExpress, except it was hard to make out what you were watching, because of blurriness and poor contrast.

That seemed like such an exciting time ... lots of platforms, lots of new technology, lots of new capabilities just coming into their own like CD storage for soundtracks and full motion video, primitive 3D and texture mapping, plenty of custom controllers and PC peripherals. Everything was SO EXPENSIVE and fragmented though, and you couldn't count on everything running well. I remember walking through places like Electronics Boutique all the time and coveting all the pricy 3DO and Sega CD and Jaguar and other stuff. That Sega CDX package at $400 was an almost irresistible siren song. Fortunately I didn't have $400 and was able to wait to get a secondhand one later.

It seems like we have things so much better now -- just a few platforms that are very healthy, standard excellent controllers, good technical performance is more or less a given, a healthy used game marketplace, digital distribution, casual and indie games for free or close to it.

• Like 2

It really was an exciting time. Back in 1992 $199 for the SNES (like $350 today) was a lot of money to spend on a console when you are a college grad with limited funds. The games cost a fortune: between $30 and $60, so which ones were worth the money? But it was gonna be worth it because the graphics were "arcade quality". It would be like having an entire arcade in your home! I was an "Atari guy", so I never owned the NES nor the Master System. I was for the most part unbiased.

For months, every time I went into a mall, I would look at the backs of all the games to see the screen shots. We didn't have the internet available to us or great game review sites yet. One strength of the Genesis was a ton of great sports games, but I wasn't into sports at all. For me, it all came down to the pack-in. The "mature" Street Fighter II appealed to me more (I had seen a lot of fighting games on the Neo Geo) than the manic game play of Sonic the Hedgehog. The die was cast, and I became a Super Nintendo owner.

• Like 1