Photo

Price surge for Intellivision Flashback Overlays?

91 replies to this topic

#76 Duglor OFFLINE  

Duglor

Space Invader

• 27 posts

Posted Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:23 PM

Hi.

New Here.

I sure am interested in getting a pack of these overlays......but not at $250! goodness me!  I wish I had purchased them back when they came out. I only recently discovered the flashback a week ago.

(sigh)

I wonder if paper overlays work at all? or what else can be used if anything.

-Doug

#77 fdr4prez OFFLINE  

fdr4prez

Stargunner

• 1,329 posts

Posted Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:55 PM

Hi.

New Here.

I sure am interested in getting a pack of these overlays......but not at $250! goodness me!  I wish I had purchased them back when they came out. I only recently discovered the flashback a week ago.

(sigh)

-Doug

Search the forum about replacement overlays and see what comes up.

There have been people that print on paper or even transparency film.

With the expected release of the Intellivision Flashback 2, we can hope for a re-release of the overlay pack for the FB1

#78 Lathe26 OFFLINE  

Lathe26

River Patroller

• 2,898 posts

Posted Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:05 PM

Where are you seeing $250? That does seem really high. Was this for the Flashback Overlays packs or one of the rare Orphan Overlay packs (those get expensive).

#79 mthompson ONLINE  

mthompson

Dragonstomper

• 626 posts

Posted Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:24 PM

According to this post, a set of Flashback overlays sold on eBay not long ago for $300.

#80 Lathe26 OFFLINE  

Lathe26

River Patroller

• 2,898 posts

Posted Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:59 PM

According to this post, a set of Flashback overlays sold on eBay not long ago for $300.

Geez. It's probably cheaper to buy the original overlays off of eBay, even if they come with cartridges you can't plug into the Flashback.

#81 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

Stargunner

• 1,915 posts

Posted Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:05 PM

Hi.
New Here.

(sigh)

-Doug

You can try getting the original Mattel/Imagic overlays. Guys here might have extras they might sell and they are better quality than the flashback versions. Maybe start a new thread with a list of overlays you're looking for.

#82 JasonlikesINTV ONLINE  

JasonlikesINTV

Quadrunner

• 8,297 posts

Posted Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:16 PM

It all depends on what you're going for. The original supplemental overlay pack for the Flashback (2014/2015) was a STEAL at $15, especially since overlays for orphan (INTV Corp) games were included. Prior to that set, single pairs of Orphan Overlays by Psycho Stormtrooper were selling for an average of $6-8 with some (Diner) occasionally selling for up to $25 :o

There was a recent price surge where a few sets (<10) sold between $100-300, however the most recent sale on eBay was $52...still high, but it's hard to beat $1/pair under any conditions. Homebrewers can chime in if I'm way off.

If you emulate, use a multicart, or only have the loose carts and just want overlays, you have a few options:

1. Originals on eBay: Individually, you probably won't find any for less than $2/pair ($0.99 + $1.00 shipping). You might find a seller with a bunch who is cool with combining shipping. I occasionally see bigger (more affordable) lots on eBay, but it's hit or miss.

2. Make your own: Much more work and potentially expensive if you want quality.

3. Ask around here or post in the wanted section of the marketplace. Maybe someone will throw you a bone.

4. Honestly, most games don't require them and as you learn the game you stop looking anyway. There are pics of the overlays in the manuals and ample online sources where you can reference/print them. However, some games do use the keypad more heavily. You may want actual overlays for those (D&D, Tron, Utopia, Night Stalker, Sea Battle, Sub Hunt, etc), but they'll take a beating (and are harder to find in good condition).

Summary:
If you're just putting out a feeler for a cheap set, good luck. You never know until you ask. If you're willing to put some work into it, read up and try making some...or put some time into aggressively hunting for them (ebay, retro stores/sites, etc). How many games are we talking? 10 or 125? The less you need, I'd recommend buying originals on eBay. Want a complete set? Tougher task. Either way, good luck!

Edited by JasonlikesINTV, Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:18 PM.

#83 Duglor OFFLINE  

Duglor

Space Invader

• 27 posts

Posted Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:35 PM

Where are you seeing $250? That does seem really high. Was this for the Flashback Overlays packs or one of the rare Orphan Overlay packs (those get expensive).

Flashback overlay packs on ebay

#84 Duglor OFFLINE  

Duglor

Space Invader

• 27 posts

Posted Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:37 PM

Thanks for the advice. Will ask in the marketplace. :)

-Doug

It all depends on what you're going for. The original supplemental overlay pack for the Flashback (2014/2015) was a STEAL at $15, especially since overlays for orphan (INTV Corp) games were included. Prior to that set, single pairs of Orphan Overlays by Psycho Stormtrooper were selling for an average of $6-8 with some (Diner) occasionally selling for up to $25 :o

There was a recent price surge where a few sets (<10) sold between $100-300, however the most recent sale on eBay was $52...still high, but it's hard to beat $1/pair under any conditions. Homebrewers can chime in if I'm way off.

If you emulate, use a multicart, or only have the loose carts and just want overlays, you have a few options:

1. Originals on eBay: Individually, you probably won't find any for less than $2/pair ($0.99 + $1.00 shipping). You might find a seller with a bunch who is cool with combining shipping. I occasionally see bigger (more affordable) lots on eBay, but it's hit or miss.

2. Make your own: Much more work and potentially expensive if you want quality.

3. Ask around here or post in the wanted section of the marketplace. Maybe someone will throw you a bone.

4. Honestly, most games don't require them and as you learn the game you stop looking anyway. There are pics of the overlays in the manuals and ample online sources where you can reference/print them. However, some games do use the keypad more heavily. You may want actual overlays for those (D&D, Tron, Utopia, Night Stalker, Sea Battle, Sub Hunt, etc), but they'll take a beating (and are harder to find in good condition).

Summary:
If you're just putting out a feeler for a cheap set, good luck. You never know until you ask. If you're willing to put some work into it, read up and try making some...or put some time into aggressively hunting for them (ebay, retro stores/sites, etc). How many games are we talking? 10 or 125? The less you need, I'd recommend buying originals on eBay. Want a complete set? Tougher task. Either way, good luck!

#85 Illtiger1 OFFLINE  

Illtiger1

Chopper Commander

• 183 posts
  • Member of the INTV Brotherhood

Posted Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:33 PM

Wow, this is insane.  Glad I bothered the hell out of them with emails after my preorder for the overlays took months to fill.

#86 SoulBlazer OFFLINE  

SoulBlazer

Quadrunner

• 5,153 posts

Posted Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:41 AM

I admit I've never used mine even with all the hassle I went through to get them. If these are really going for a couple hundred I should think about selling mine. :)

#87 Rev OFFLINE  

Rev

A.K.A. Revolutionika

• Topic Starter
  • 15,296 posts

Posted Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:26 PM

Sold for 199 on 8-26-17.

IMG_0667.PNG

#88 JasonlikesINTV ONLINE  

JasonlikesINTV

Quadrunner

• 8,297 posts

Posted Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:31 PM

Yeah, what's odd is that the $200 one sold just hours before this one at auction (sold for ~$80):

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 322662782313

I mean, great sale for Fushek, but the buyer must have thought the other auction would exceed $200 and jumped on the BIN. Don't get me wrong, they're really cool and even at $100 for a set of 52 pairs it's not a bad deal. Brand new overlays for $2/pair would be tough to beat on eBay. But $200? I guess I'm glad I grabbed 3 packs at $15/pack :D

What really blows my mind is that these go for $200, but a pack of Sears overlays won't sell at $125 :o

#89 wolfy62 OFFLINE  

wolfy62

River Patroller

• 2,702 posts

Posted Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:01 AM

Yeah, what's odd is that the $200 one sold just hours before this one at auction (sold for ~$80):

I mean, great sale for Fushek, but the buyer must have thought the other auction would exceed $200 and jumped on the BIN. Don't get me wrong, they're really cool and even at $100 for a set of 52 pairs it's not a bad deal. Brand new overlays for $2/pair would be tough to beat on eBay. But $200? I guess I'm glad I grabbed 3 packs at $15/pack :D

What really blows my mind is that these go for $200, but a pack of Sears overlays won't sell at $125 :o

Keep 1,sell 2! :)

#90 Fushek OFFLINE  

Fushek

Stargunner

• 1,518 posts
  • Actively Seeking Spiker!

Posted Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:31 AM

Yeah, thought that was odd as well.  Maybe they didn't notice the auction?

The irony of the situation is that I used profit from selling overlays to buy more overlays.  Ordered one of the "blemished" Imagic overlay sets. :-D

#91 intellivotion OFFLINE  

intellivotion

River Patroller

• 2,048 posts
  • Time Zone Traveller

Posted Thu Sep 7, 2017 8:29 AM

let's see what will happen with this listing: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 401399823818

We don't get only the overlays: with some extra bucks we get also the Intellivision Flashback and a power adapter for us Europeans  :ponder:

#92 BBWW ONLINE  

BBWW

River Patroller

• 2,818 posts
  • If it is not fun move away slowly.

Posted Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:34 PM

I will have some overlays of several types available for trade at PRGE.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users