IGNORED

Super Mario Odyssey

Rick Dangerous

Just watched the trailer for this game. Looks AMAZING! Almost had a little Sonic Adventure vibe to it...and more. Also felt echoes of Super Mario Sunshine, a personal favorite. Looks to be a very different feel from Super Mario 3D world, which i enjoyed but for some reason liked the 3DS version better.

What are your hopes, dreams and wished for the next Mario game? Please discuss your thoughts as well once it's released.

• Like 1

This is definitely a day one purchase. I really liked the graphics and that neat hat trick. Going to have to wait a long time though for this one.

I liked the shot of Bowser in a tux dresser up like Odd Job and throwing his hat as weapon...good 007 throwback.

Lots to like in the preview, looks stunning.

• Like 1

It's a filler date for 2017 because Nintendo said holiday this year, and Amazons dating system won't allow something that loose so they went with that far out. The 29th is a Friday, the last day of this year when a fedex or UPS guy would drop games off to a store or online warehouse(amazon) type place as they don't do weekends unless you really pay up.

• Like 1

Nintendo says Holiday 2017, Wikipedia ways Q4 2017. I think a pre-Xmas release is a must, and it could well be out around Thanksgiving time judging from other big releases from the company.

Agreed, Amazon's end of year dates are made up and no one should worry about them.

This will be their system seller for holiday 2017. You can bet they have about 300 programmers locked int he basement at Nintendo HQ working on it 7 days a week right now..

• 3 months later...

I was excited about this game when they announced it, but after seeing all the great gameplay that they showed at the treehouse event, I"m so excited about this game I can't even BELIEVE how awesome it looks. Being able to use cappy to turn mario into basically ANY enemy or any items in the surroundings is really a cool gameplay mechanic. I mean who doesn't want to run out and Turn Mario into a HUGE TRex?!?

I CAN'T WAIT for the game to come out. Really glad they wen't back to the Mario 64/Sunshine type gameplay mechanics. Couldn't be happier.

I think it's primarily done too. They have months to fine tune or do any level of moderate upgrades or minor changes that would add to the experience but it could easily get released this summer if they so wished I bet. As it is now they can garner heavy holiday sales leaving this period open for those 3rd party games rolling out among others.

I decided to ask here since I haven't been able to find out anywhere else. What engine is this game using? Right now I'm feeling like it's using the 3D World engine but expanded. In some aspects it looks like a UE4 game, kind of like the new Kingdom Hearts but with lower res textures.

It's kind of weird, but I like it. You can tell on the city level and forest level that the game engine wasn't built for realism. The Mexico style world looks amazing, though. It's like a weird step in between last gen and current gen.

Looks great though, I cannot wait. icon_eek.gif

Edited by Atari Master

I decided to ask here since I haven't been able to find out anywhere else. What engine is this game using? Right now I'm feeling like it's using the 3D World engine but expanded. In some aspects it looks like a UE4 game, kind of like the new Kingdom Hearts but with lower res textures.

It's kind of weird, but I like it. You can tell on the city level and forest level that the game engine wasn't built for realism. The Mexico style world looks amazing, though. It's like a weird step in between last gen and current gen.

Looks great though, I cannot wait. icon_eek.gif

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't their own. Is Nintendo known for using other devs game engines?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't their own. Is Nintendo known for using other devs game engines?

Wouldn't it be crazy if it were straight Unity, and someone was able to extract assets and port it to other systems?

I would put my money on proprietary engine, too. And NOT something we've seen on Wii U like Super Mario 3D World, which came out in 2013.

• Like 1

I don't recall Nintendo really using much of other peoples work for their big games instead creating their own from the ground up. I read that the game has more in common with the breath of the wild style of gaming than normal mario that it is in a way more aligned with Mario Sunshine than any of the other 3D games. It's a free roaming game with smattering of challenges here and there but it's more about the ride, the story, and the crazy locations and things to do than some set of stage based challenges to rough it through.

So far, my seven year old has let me play it for three minutes, and only when he runs across a difficult puzzle, unreachable piece or amiibo help. I may not get too much hands on play with it until he beats it or he falls asleep. Over his shoulder watching it looks really fun and as simple or as involved as the player makes it. Very much zelda like and sm sunshine, galaxy ish. There's a ton of gameplay references in it. From smb to 3d world. Cute, thinkers game and we'll executed is my first reaction. Just for some background, he has beaten botw in roughly my time play on it. So he's going to be an expert in his own right very soon. He says he loves it.

• Like 1

I preordered mine this week to get the Prime discount, and I just found that it is not coming until Tuesday. Yet, if you order now with Prime now that it is out, it would have gotten to my place on Sunday. Strange that. Whether it comes Sunday or Tuesday makes no difference to me; I'd rather just get the Prime savings since it will be a long time before Nintendo discounts this one.