IGNORED

Zelda Breath of the Wild - Advice/Help thread

Tanooki

Very nice DF. I had linked that earlier one that didn't have the line graph but you really could just eye ball the hell out of how much smoother it got, but it's nice to see how they shot at average on the Switch version as it really rocketed up towards nearly being a constant 30fps (29.5 I think he said was average) game wide. A good 20 or so percent increase is nothing but amazing given they didn't drop anything to get the boost. It's all about learning your system and new tweaks you can throw at it given the limitations of that ported up engine from WiiU. Yet WiiU showing its age got nothing out of it really at all which is a shame, but given the hardware and age, not a surprise.

Very nice DF. I had linked that earlier one that didn't have the line graph but you really could just eye ball the hell out of how much smoother it got, but it's nice to see how they shot at average on the Switch version as it really rocketed up towards nearly being a constant 30fps (29.5 I think he said was average) game wide. A good 20 or so percent increase is nothing but amazing given they didn't drop anything to get the boost. It's all about learning your system and new tweaks you can throw at it given the limitations of that ported up engine from WiiU. Yet WiiU showing its age got nothing out of it really at all which is a shame, but given the hardware and age, not a surprise.

I'm surprised they were able to pull off what they did on the Wii U. It's a great looking game and a true Swan song for the system.

I'm surprised they were able to pull off what they did on the Wii U. It's a great looking game and a true Swan song for the system.

Swan Song? Yeah. But visually, Xenoblade X did it nearly a year and a half earlier. :P

Great looking games though, I agree.

Anyone experienced Zelda withdrawals or vivid dreams or a slightly altered reality related to the Zelda Universe? I share a dream I had the other night:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/264104-you-know-youve-been-playing-too-much-zelda-when/

Kind of related to Tetris effect. I close my eyes and I see little pieces of Hyrule infused into reality...

No doubt that game really was the tops for WiiU pushing that reused spruced up hardware to the max. That's why is said I wasn't surprised it really didn't improve things as I had a feeling it was already pushing the edge while on something like the Switch there's far more room to give we can only speculate at at this point.

No doubt that game really was the tops for WiiU pushing that reused spruced up hardware to the max. That's why is said I wasn't surprised it really didn't improve things as I had a feeling it was already pushing the edge while on something like the Switch there's far more room to give we can only speculate at at this point.

They are still learning how to optimize the Switch. One thing that really blows my mind, is how very few bugs have been discovered given the vast scope of the game. About the only time I've seen someone "bug out" the game was in a YT video by attempting to leave the plateau without the Glider and finally succeeded.

Apparently they used stasis plus the sledge hammer to knock an iron boulder into Lake Hyrule while standing on it. If performed correctly, Link will land in the water without taking damage from the fall, and can swim to shore. There is a fog plane above link as well as an invisible "death cube" surrounding the plateau, and while it is possible to save in the region, you cannot interact with much, and touching the invisible walls of the "death cube" zone or the fog plane will result in either an instant Game Over or return you to the edge of the plateau.

I may create a new profile to dick around with the Plateau area and try this.

All the credit in the world to Nintendo on this and grateful they delayed it as they did. The amount of bugs in such a game could have been horrendous but ultimately it is next to nothing. Even that stunt you got there leaving without the glider is kind of a gray area since it'll kill and return you if you hit that death cube you mentioned so you're not really trapped there. They did a hell of a job with it, had they got the switch optimization of 1.1.1 out at launch on the cards no less it would have been stunning without those complaints.

• Like 2

Hmmm... Uncovered the last of my memories. Both the spirit of Zlda and Lady impa told me i was ready to go fight ganon. Some stuff I need to do first. Stock up on ingredients for hearty meals. Cook up some mighty bananas for attack plus stats. Five bananas in a pot give me +3 attack for over 5 minutes (in addition to any bonus the ancient tech proficiency awards) and I got the guardian suit upgraded to level 3 for +54 defense. All fairies including the horse god. 81 Shrines. 17 hearts. 3 full stamina wheels. I may trade in a spare stamina wheel to the gargoyl fairy outside hateno village for five extra heart containers. That would give me 23 hearts total as the extra stamna wheel won't have much benefit in the final fight. And make sure all my Devine Beast abilities and master sword are at 100% before I go in there. And stock up on ancient weapons. Maybe trade in some ancient tech loot at the Akkala Tech lab for more ancient arrows and/or ancient weapons. That ancient chainsaw thingy is tempting. Hylian Chainsaw Massacre. LOL!

Any tips, recommendations before I fight Calamity Ganon? I still got 39 Shrines to find, and a metric ton of Korok seeds and Compedium entries to fill. Also some left over side quests I've neglected, but I'm good to go. I think.........

Any tips, recommendations before I fight Calamity Ganon? I still got 39 Shrines to find, and a metric ton of Korok seeds and Compedium entries to fill. Also some left over side quests I've neglected, but I'm good to go. I think.........

Dude.. You are going to demolish him with your eyes closed. You need no tips with how long you have been playing. :lol:

Get rid of all your stabled horses except for your best one.

Or get rid of any sub-par mounts.

Slay them? The horse god fairy will be very upset... :sad:

Chocolate, my best steed, is 4 star strength, 3 star speed, 4 star stamina, wild temperment.

Pokey, my first steed, is 2 star strength and speed, 3 star stamina, gentle temperment.

Those are the two I really care about, but I got two others I rarely use. I actually won the hurdle minigame contest with Pokey because she was easier to control. ;-)

So the riding portion of the Ganon fight simply call upon a random horse? Should I take Chocolate (my best steed) out of the stable before I face Ganon?

Dude.. You are going to demolish him with your eyes closed. You need no tips with how long you have been playing. :lol:

Yeah probably. I just need to cook up some hearty truffles / radishes for full health recovery, and mighty bananas for burlyness, and maybe get some ancient weapons from the tech shop. Chainsaw thing would be fun.

Oh and one more little thing, I promised my mom I'd let her watch when I fight Ganon. No do-overs... :P

Slay them? The horse god fairy will be very upset... :sad:

Chocolate, my best steed, is 4 star strength, 3 star speed, 4 star stamina, wild temperment.

Pokey, my first steed, is 2 star strength and speed, 3 star stamina, gentle temperment.

Those are the two I really care about, but I got two others I rarely use. I actually won the hurdle minigame contest with Pokey because she was easier to control. ;-)

So the riding portion of the Ganon fight simply call upon a random horse? Should I take Chocolate (my best steed) out of the stable before I face Ganon?

I actually don't know how the horse is selected, but it chose my worst horse, which was first in my stable.

I wanted Epona or Melyngar (royal white stallion), instead I got Patty my first horse, (2 star mediocre).

• 3 weeks later...

A language pack that allows the user to select the language they want to play in, if it's not already available, will be shortly.

I wonder if there's any point to download it for an English only speaker? While I imagine the UK and North American variants are identical, if Nintendo of Europe actually hired their own voice actors for the UK market, it might be an interesting variation worth the space on my console's memory if I ever decided to replay this years down the road.

Edit: Can't find a hint of any differences, so Nintendo's European and North American branches must've did the logical thing.

Edited by Atariboy

• 1 year later...

Time for a bump. I completed the DLC in January 2018. Later that weekend I fought Ganon and beat the crap out of him. Yeah I put the game down for a while. LOL...

The fight was pretty easy with the motorbike, Ancient Armor upgraded to four stars, Ancient chainsaw blade thing (x2 damage with the ancient armor), an assload of Mighty Bananas fried into dishes that triple boosted my attack power, a five star horse with ancient armor that has seven star stamina with it equipped (can also summon him anywhere but used the bike instead during the Ganon fight), etc etc etc...

The ancient monk at the end of the DLC temple was by far my favorite boss. He goes through like 9 stages, way more ass-kick than Ganon ever was. In fact the final boss was a let down after all that. And I recorded this number on my Switch tablet in January, finally posted it today:

Probably the worst thing about beating the game was you can never really complete the main quest. Mine still shows 19/20, even with the star showing that I beat Ganon. I also recently completed all the Shrines and am currently working on completing all side quests. Oddly, I got the Cap, Tunic, and Pants of the Wild that came as an unlock for completing all Shrines, but my adventure log still shows 41/42 Shrine quests completed. What am I missing? Probably not gonna go for all 900 Korok seeds but I did get a hat that helps me reveil them. As it stands now I'm still only a bit over 35% complete with the adventure. This game has no shortage of content.

Still haven't done the Trial of the Sword yet. Naked Link has battle an army of increasingly more powerful enemies with no weapons, armor, or food. The Eventide Island wasn't bad (food and weapons laying about everywhere) but the Trial of the Sword is brutal. Worse, there's no saving...

Time for a bump. I completed the DLC in January 2018. Later that weekend I fought Ganon and beat the crap out of him. Yeah I put the game down for a while. LOL...

The fight was pretty easy with the motorbike, Ancient Armor upgraded to four stars, Ancient chainsaw blade thing (x2 damage with the ancient armor), an assload of Mighty Bananas fried into dishes that triple boosted my attack power, a five star horse with ancient armor that has seven star stamina with it equipped (can also summon him anywhere but used the bike instead during the Ganon fight), etc etc etc...

The ancient monk at the end of the DLC temple was by far my favorite boss. He goes through like 9 stages, way more ass-kick than Ganon ever was. In fact the final boss was a let down after all that. And I recorded this number on my Switch tablet in January, finally posted it today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=768t1tPCxZU

Probably the worst thing about beating the game was you can never really complete the main quest. Mine still shows 19/20, even with the star showing that I beat Ganon. I also recently completed all the Shrines and am currently working on completing all side quests. Oddly, I got the Cap, Tunic, and Pants of the Wild that came as an unlock for completing all Shrines, but my adventure log still shows 41/42 Shrine quests completed. What am I missing? Probably not gonna go for all 900 Korok seeds but I did get a hat that helps me reveil them. As it stands now I'm still only a bit over 35% complete with the adventure. This game has no shortage of content.

Still haven't done the Trial of the Sword yet. Naked Link has battle an army of increasingly more powerful enemies with no weapons, armor, or food. The Eventide Island wasn't bad (food and weapons laying about everywhere) but the Trial of the Sword is brutal. Worse, there's no saving...

This post told me that I know very little about BOTW. I was all excited a few months ago when I finished all the towers.....haha. I've never finished a Zelda game but I think I will stick this one out. It'll just take a few years.

• Like 1

This post told me that I know very little about BOTW. I was all excited a few months ago when I finished all the towers.....haha. I've never finished a Zelda game but I think I will stick this one out. It'll just take a few years.

Truth be told, there's a metric ton of stuff to do in this game, even without the dlc content. The motorbike was worth it in the end if a bit over the top. There is a substantial amount of content in the dlc2 pack. When you obtain the one hit obliterator, it would be wise to perform manual saves often, since you have to fight a gauntlet of tough enemies, and one hit will kill you.

DLC1 pack requires you to obtain the master sword in the lost forest before you can start the Trial of the Sword. DLC2 pack requires you to conquer all four beasts before you start the fifth beast challenge.

With both packs, there's a bunch of dlc chests hidden in the world that give you valuable and useful items. Some of this stuff is available as soon as you leave the great plateau.

• 7 months later...

i just picked up this game a week ago and finally have some time to sink into it. holy smokes, what a huge game in scope.

i'm wondering if i will ever complete it ;_; i gotta stop taking pictures of squirrels, first!

You'll find yourself in a weird place that the game will cause hours to melt before you realize what happened. The game doesn't really transition outside of leaving the plateau, it's seamless. The corners of the world with the bit guardians themselves are not really lands, but they ARE the dungeons. The game sets barriers, some, well many, if you can figure it out can be worked in multiple ways. Sometimes you could be stuck, but one of those special powers you get from the region may let you bypass a trap because you can fly or pop a shield, it's all over the place. That game was the first in years I actually would lose track of time on and force myself to stop. 3 games so far on Switch have done this, but it's the only unique to the system as the others were Diablo 3 and Starlink.

If you're not some insane collection type you could drop the game in under 50 hours, but if you feel the insane need for every armor, every korok seed, it'll get insane.

• Like 1

That's one of the nastier ones, at least to me the area in general was. That run up to the water area was a pain in the ass with all the one hit shock death kills. I've been for awhile now considering playing the game again but I hate I can't retain my save so it's a put off as I let other games get in the way. As soon as you feel you can manage to scrape by, try and go in the back door of the castle and you may just get lucky and snap up the best shield in the game which would be a solid help now.

I think I did the water guardian last, kind of a bad move considering you get that healing perk. I found really though the high jump/flight trick and shield trick you can pick up the most useful, especially if some puzzles confuse or you're not the perfect timing wizard when it comes to third person combat.