IGNORED

Developers/testing required for mini-itx clone system - ÉclaireXL

foft

I developed the TK-II firmware in a high level visual programming language called FlowCode which does go through an interim C compiler (Boost C) and then into machine code. If you think it will be of any help I can give you the C code, but keep in mind that it won't be commented, nor pretty, or efficient since there is a lot of extraneous code associated with this process. Still interested?

- Michael

I'd be interested in the C code, too.

I developed the TK-II firmware in a high level visual programming language called FlowCode which does go through an interim C compiler (Boost C) and then into machine code. If you think it will be of any help I can give you the C code, but keep in mind that it won't be commented, nor pretty, or efficient since there is a lot of extraneous code associated with this process. Still interested?

- Michael

Yes please. Is there a manual too?

• Like 2

Yes please. Is there a manual too?

A manual? I wish ;) best I can do for the moment is point you to HERE.

And here's the C code for the latest TK-II firmware: TK-II-OS_V1_9X.c.zip

I was surprised to see that comments from my FlowCode got integrated into the C code. Now as I said earlier this isn't going to be very pretty, and there were a few quick and dirty solutions implemented to filter keystrokes in various ways. But in a nut shell what the code does is first translate the PS2 keyboard scan codes into a more logical format via a table (gets rid of all the unused spaces in the key map). This is then converted to upper and lowercase ASCII. And finally into actual Pokey expected key codes. So this covers the minimum that is required to get stuff to happen when pressing a key. On top of this there are routines for sending macro strings to Pokey, for recording macros, and some other stuff related to handling Cap Lock and navigation. Also there are routines for initializing the keyboard, turning on or off LED's, or re-initializing a keyboard after hot-plugging.

Have fun going through my code :grin:

- Michael

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've got to admit that I find myself getting more and more interested in these projects. Especially if there is some hope of getting an Atari-similar keyboard for either/both. PC keyboards are great for a PC (especially since many/most operations are done with a mouse). But IMO an Atari needs an Atari keyboard. Hope the WASD idea works out. Wireless would be awesome, but maybe too much to hope for, and probably only even possible on the Eclaire XL. (?) A good smooth mouse for Eclaire?

-Larry

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just found out about the ÉclaireXL. Very impressive job! I'd definitely think about getting one from a production run.

Question: would it run my exported ROM from my old 600XL? It's a Scandinavian machine and the ROM hasn't worked in the emulators I've tested (Atari 800MacX).

Just found out about the ÉclaireXL. Very impressive job! I'd definitely think about getting one from a production run.

Question: would it run my exported ROM from my old 600XL? It's a Scandinavian machine and the ROM hasn't worked in the emulators I've tested (Atari 800MacX).

Send me the file and I can check

• Like 1

I've got to admit that I find myself getting more and more interested in these projects. Especially if there is some hope of getting an Atari-similar keyboard for either/both. PC keyboards are great for a PC (especially since many/most operations are done with a mouse). But IMO an Atari needs an Atari keyboard. Hope the WASD idea works out. Wireless would be awesome, but maybe too much to hope for, and probably only even possible on the Eclaire XL. (?) A good smooth mouse for Eclaire?

-Larry

yes, the WASD idea has worked out. :) Waiting on the ANSI keyboard code I gave Foft to be implemented as well as some extra shortcut keys to fill in the blanks. In case you missed it, here is the 400/800 version of my keyboard with my EclaireXL.

post-33323-0-27346500-1500263085.png

I also have XE and XL style designs.

• Like 8

yes, the WASD idea has worked out. :) Waiting on the ANSI keyboard code I gave Foft to be implemented as well as some extra shortcut keys to fill in the blanks. In case you missed it, here is the 400/800 version of my keyboard with my EclaireXL.

I also have XE and XL style designs.

That setup looks amazing. Which case is that?

That is VERY snazzy!

Thanks! The real amazing thing is what is under the hood! A serious A8 machine lurking under there.

"I also have XE and XL style designs."

Would love to see these!

The 400/800 style is the first prototype I had made to test the design. The issue right now is there are more keys on the keyboard than the system supports so there are a fair number of blank keys. I have made suggestions on our dev forum about some shortcuts I would like to see added to "fill-in" these blank keys. I imagine it will get done at some point but I don't want to pay to make any more keyboards until then so I just have the XL & XE in design format at the present time.

That setup looks amazing. Which case is that?

Thank you. The case can be found here...

https://smile.amazon.com/iStarUSA-S-21-Compact-Mini-ITX-Enclosure/dp/B0077CRF6Q/ref=sr_1_96?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1504893306&sr=1-96&keywords=mini+itx+case

That has got to be the best looking Atari themed custom case and keyboard I've ever seen!!! Great work

Thanks Michael, that's very nice of you to say. I do have a 1088XEL plan as well... :)

I would sure buy one or two of these.

I'd also like to say I find it amazing that Atari never died at all, it just went underground and is being carried forward by us. The thing that calls itself Atari now is of no account. I know of no other community that has as much activity and expertise still working. Commodore 64 folks might be close, but as far as I know they don't have the kind of push forward that we do. Really amazing.

I'm keen on getting some help with the firmware. Is anyone capable/willing to take on the role of 'main firmware developer'? So I can focus on purely the hardware side.

It can be written in any language, but since code size needs to be small, and the existing firmware is written in it, I propose C. Debugging will be via gdb and a jtag connection to the eclaireXL.

The firmware currently provides the following features:

i) USB HID joystick and keyboard decoding

ii) SD card reading, fat decoding

iii) SIO drive emulation

iv) Cartridge emu setup

v) OS/BASIC rom loading

vi) Video settings

I'm in the process of changing the core to be more a 'modern system' with the 6502 and antic as additional bus masters. Previously the 'ZPU' was bolted on top of the Atari as an afterthought.

The plan is to use the VexRiscV CPU (can compile with GCC, debug via GDB) and a crossbar wishbone interconnect. All the atari custom chips, USB hardware, SD card, will be mapped into a large linear address space. Then the 6502 and antic will access this via an address translation layer. With possibly a 2nd PIA to allow the 6502 to access some of the additional hardware and settings (e.g. turbo!).

I'm busily working on the hardware changes for this, which will take some time to build. After which I'll need to port or rewrite the firmware for the new setup. I think it needs a significant rewrite to be 'good' but I don't think I have the time/motivation for that. Is anyone up for the challenge?

Edited by foft
  • Like 1