Photo

Need more info about HX5102

4 replies to this topic

#1 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 2,184 posts

Posted Wed Mar 8, 2017 5:09 PM

Short question: By chance, has anyone got a broken, non-functional HX5102 device? Any if you had, would you offer it for lab experiments? :-)

The HX5102 is the Hexbus floppy device (controller + drive). I am currently analyzing the ROMs because I want to create an emulation in MAME. I am almost done with the analysis; I think that I have a quite good idea how the system works so that an emulation is within reach.

However, there are some points that I got a bit stuck on. In particular, this concerns the CRU bits; there are some SBO/SBZ/TB that I cannot make a good sense of.

I have some high quality photographs from Jens-Eike's device from which I hoped to get some enlightenment. But the circuitry is pretty complex, and there are many traces running beneath circuits, which make it almost impossible to follow.

The other challenge is that I have no emulation for the Intel 8272A; I believe that I understood the overall operation, though. But as you see this is a real challenge: I can only rely on the software for a system that I have no schematics for, using a chip that does not have an emulation yet.

[Edit: What I find really creepy is that 5 minutes after posting this message, I searched Google for HX5102, and found this very message at second place.]

Edited by mizapf, Wed Mar 8, 2017 5:21 PM.

#2 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 9,478 posts
  • Location:Virgo Supercluster, Gould Belt in the Orion arm of Milky Way galaxy.

Posted Wed Mar 8, 2017 5:49 PM

You've probably already found this stuff, but in case any one else is curious....

It would be cool if someone was thinking of re-creating this stuff for real hardware in the TI community.

Attached Files

#3 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,184 posts

Posted Thu Mar 9, 2017 5:50 AM

I do have the included PDF and BIN files, not the JEDEC files. Is there a way to retrieve the logic from the JEDEC files?

---

Here's my current state of disassembly; I focused on the low-level routines at >2000 and higher; the code at lower locations is copied from the standard TI DSRs. As you can see, this has got quite far already, but as I said, some points remain unclear.

Maybe I have to simply try to implement it with some optimistic assumptions. I could just ignore the unclear CRU flags and see whether something is missing.

Attached Files

#4 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,184 posts

Posted Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:45 AM

OK, got some nice progress in the meantime, but still some way to go. You may want to have a look if you are interested:

http://www.mizapf.eu/files/board.xcf

(caution, this file is more than 60 MiB large, to be opened in GIMP)

#5 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 9,478 posts
  • Location:Virgo Supercluster, Gould Belt in the Orion arm of Milky Way galaxy.

Posted Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:59 AM

Wow, that full sized image is IMPRESSIVE!

I wish I had more time to admire it, but I have to leave for work now.  :(

It's a work of art.  I think I'll print up your full-sized version it up and stick it on the wall in the den.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users