IGNORED

Sinclair ZX Vega+ funding campaign halted by Indiegogo

"The Spectrum ZX Vega+, backed by Sir Clive Sinclair, had achieved its original crowdfunding target.
But then Indiegogo halted further fundraising because of delivery delays and a lack of communication to backers.
The project's organisers had asked the BBC not to reveal the development.
The BBC understands no consoles have been delivered to backers, despite a pledge last month that they would "ship after 20 Feb 2017".
And the company behind the project - Retro Computers Limited - suggested these details might put its team at risk
..."
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39191064

Well, if Indie "We take scams project rejected by Kickstarter" gog rejected it, that mean something.

And Clive Sinclair, hah! The man that botched the video color display of the Sepctrum because he didn't wanted games on it. Speaks volumes about the guy.

• Like 2

Agreed ... Sinclair is one of those things where you really had to be there at the time to understand the appeal (I was not and do not). Of course, you have a Videopac box as an avatar (which I respect, since Odyssey 2 was my first game system), and I have a Dreamcast avatar, so ....

719bde03c59f9cf16b064fcb57f1c45e.jpg

Agreed ... Sinclair is one of those things where you really had to be there at the time to understand the appeal (I was not and do not). Of course, you have a Videopac box as an avatar (which I respect, since Odyssey 2 was my first game system), and I have a Dreamcast avatar, so ....

719bde03c59f9cf16b064fcb57f1c45e.jpg

I see the appeal in the ZX Spectrum.

I mean, for most people, the appeal of the Atari 2600 is equally alien, but when you like the system, it's almost impossible to understand why other people doesn't like it.

A simple factor for it's success might be the price :

In 1981 in France, the Atari 2600 was sold for 1490 FF, a ZX Spectrum sold for 999F.

Anyway, I respect the ZX Spectrum and the community around it, the amazing creations that come out for it, the huge Russian/Eastern European community that works on the mode advanced (made back in the day) 128K version wwith AY sound chip, Beta Disk interface and TR-DOS system, etc.

My comment was that because Clive Sinclair backed up the project meant nothing. He, after all, had a company that sold milions of computer in Europe, but he decided to sell it at the peak of it's sales to Amstrad to build an urban electric car, that never caught on because it was built like a ZX Spectrum... but sold the price of a premium car :D

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

I haven't checked THE64 FB page for the last few hours, but shouldn't they be having a blast right now, when some of their former colleagues and apparently biggest nemesis are having trouble in public?

It might happen to THE64 as well, just that so far they haven't advertised a distribution date to be missed.

Edited by carlsson

More drama please!

Here you go! Retro Computers Limited just relased a new update (about future updates!) at Indiegogo:

In the first of a number of updates we will be issuing today, we want to let you know that we are still very much here and working to finish the project. We are also going to re-issue some earlier statements to throw some light on some of the darkness that has engulfed our project. Watch this space....

Edited by roots.genoa

First of all, I would like to announce that we are going to announce several announcements.
These announcements are an effort to hold off legal action... err... I mean to shed some light on the dark that has been dark due to the lack of light that has engulfed this project because we totally screwed people over and didn't want to say anything.
These announcements will be the same as previous announcements because nothing has really changed, we are still up to our ass in bugs.
We fully intend to finish this project, but it was delayed because we used funding to give ourselves a regular job rather than actually pay for a product, but once it's finished, and have no idea how we will actually produce it because we spent all the money on strippers, alcohol, and cocaine.
We are clearly in over our heads both on software and hardware.
We should have just created a Bluetooth keyboard to use with an existing emulator, or just put a Pi in the damn thing, but we our egos were to big to use common sense.
Thank you for listening.

:evil:

Edited by JamesD
  • Like 3

First of all, I would like to announce that we are going to announce several announcements.

These announcements are an effort to hold off legal action... err... I mean to shed some light on the dark that has been dark due to the lack of light that has engulfed this project because we totally screwed people over and didn't want to say anything.

These announcements will be the same as previous announcements because nothing has really changed, we are still up to our ass in bugs.

We fully intend to finish this project, but it was delayed because we used funding to give ourselves a regular job rather than actually pay for a product, but once it's finished, and have no idea how we will actually produce it because we spent all the money on strippers, alcohol, and cocaine.

We are clearly in over our heads both on software and hardware.

We should have just created a Bluetooth keyboard to use with an existing emulator, or just put a Pi in the damn thing, but we our egos were to big to use common sense.

Thank you for listening.

:evil:

Just to be clear, I threw in a jab at THE64 in that comment while I was at it.

• Like 1

Well, several project that ultimately ended being scams (the Chameleon, the lazer razor, etc...) were kicked out of kickstater and were accepted by Indiegogo, so it's only natural that people feel this way.

Also, unless they changed their policy, on Indiegogo, each cent givent to a prject is immediately sent to the project creator, and is not refundable by default. Unlike Kickstarter that will give the money only if the goal is reached.

We're delaying the IndieGogo to make it EVEN BETTER! GREATER AGAIN Simple as that. And suckers will pay for it

:grin:

• Like 2

Well, several project that ultimately ended being scams (the Chameleon, the lazer razor, etc...) were kicked out of kickstater and were accepted by Indiegogo, so it's only natural that people feel this way.

Also, unless they changed their policy, on Indiegogo, each cent givent to a prject is immediately sent to the project creator, and is not refundable by default. Unlike Kickstarter that will give the money only if the goal is reached.

:grin:

Translation:

The money immediately goes to the project so they immediately get their cut

To be fair to the Spectrum Next they are taking things very slowly and it looks like they will not launch until it is all right. Unlike others that just seem will never get there, such as the StarForce Pi that has constantly missed its release targets.

Sent from my Harrier from EE using Tapatalk

To be fair to the Spectrum Next they are taking things very slowly and it looks like they will not launch until it is all right. Unlike others that just seem will never get there, such as the StarForce Pi that has constantly missed its release targets.

579952_1.jpg

• Like 1

What's the difference?

The Spectrum Next isn't what we are criticizing either.

So why are you defending it?

• Like 1

Let's see how much more bullshit will be generated. Technically they said a 'few' weeks. So that means 3. Because 1 week is 1 week, a couple of weeks is 2, a few is 3, and 4 is a month, 6 is 6 and 8 is 8. Anything longer means months.

Seems more and more kickstarters fail because of infighting and personal differences.

Edited by Keatah