Photo

Robotron Insanity

10 replies to this topic

#1 dgdgagdae OFFLINE  

dgdgagdae

Chopper Commander

• 106 posts

Posted Thu Mar 9, 2017 10:38 PM

I was at the arcade tonight, and I saw someone get to level 27 on Robotron. Once he got to level 21, it was like he was getting an extra life every level. I've never seen anything like it. Mad skillz!

#2 Nebulon OFFLINE  

Nebulon

Stargunner

• 1,517 posts

Posted Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:58 PM

That friggin' game is insane.

I still don't understand how anyone can play the higher levels.

I try and try and I still suck at it.

Someday perhaps...

#3 spacecadet OFFLINE  

spacecadet

Stargunner

• 1,918 posts

Posted Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:47 PM

I probably never got past level 4 or 5. I didn't have as much trouble with that as with Defender, though. Everyone has certain types of games that they're just no good at.

#4 Cynicaster OFFLINE  

Cynicaster

River Patroller

• 2,227 posts

Posted Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:35 AM

Robotron is bloody insane but it's awesome. 

You really need good controls for it.  This means either an original cabinet with properly functioning Wico joysticks, or some kind of home setup that mimics the original controls for use on MAME.

For several years I would play Robotron on my MAME cabinet using the P1 and P2 joysticks, which worked OK, but there are some big shortcomings.  First of all, the joysticks on a real Robotron are roughly 10" apart, whereas many generic 2-player control panels (including the panel I made, the common X-Arcade tank stick, and lots of other home built ones I've seen) have a spacing much wider than that.  IMO, that close spacing of the sticks is essential in giving the player that feeling that they're really in control and engaged with the game.  Another big shortcoming with my previous setup was that the joysticks were Happ Competitions, which use microswitches.  They're great general purpose sticks, but far from ideal for Robotron. 

So, what I did recently was build a whole new control panel for my cabinet that is dedicated to Robotron.  I've got a pair of high-end, Wico-inspired, balltop sticks (Dominux8's from GroovyGameGear.com -- pricey, but very nice) at the proper spacing, and now playing Robotron on my cabinet is a complete blast.  The control panel is swappable, so I can put the old one back on whenever I want; only takes a minute or two.

#5 Nebulon OFFLINE  

Nebulon

Stargunner

• 1,517 posts

Posted Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:58 AM

I was at the arcade tonight, and I saw someone get to level 27 on Robotron. Once he got to level 21, it was like he was getting an extra life every level. I've never seen anything like it. Mad skillz!

You know, one of the coolest things about what you posted is that you saw this happen just this year.

There are still humanoids walking around today that have Robotron Mad-Skillz.

And it was at an arcade!

#6 sramirez2008 OFFLINE  

sramirez2008

Stargunner

• 1,416 posts

Posted Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:19 PM

This is my sons favorite arcade game.  He plays it at our local arcade here north of Houston (The Game Preserve) and we've both played it at YESTERcades in Redbank.  I agree that this game is best played at the arcade, unless your able to purchase an Edladdin Super Twin 78 controller.  Pair this controller with the 7800 version of Robotron and you will be amazed at how well the two work together.  

Below is my sons best score so far on the 7800 with our Super Twin 78.

7800 Robotron HS.JPG     Wave 32.JPG

#7 SoundGammon OFFLINE  

SoundGammon

Stargunner

• 1,074 posts

Posted Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:57 PM

Have you played the challenge level where you only get one life?

#8 sramirez2008 OFFLINE  

sramirez2008

Stargunner

• 1,416 posts

Posted Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:03 PM

We both tried it and didn't last too long. We will occasionally play the 2 player version where one player controls the fire and the other controls the movement.

#9 Zonie OFFLINE  

Zonie

Stargunner

• 1,471 posts

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:36 AM

I suck at level 1...

#10 FOX2600 OFFLINE  

FOX2600

Chopper Commander

• 121 posts

Posted Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:42 AM

I love Berzerk on the Vectrex, not as insane as the awesome Robotron but at least I can get thru a few "levels" lol

#11 Clive OFFLINE  

Clive

Combat Commando

• 1 posts

Posted Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:55 PM

ROBOTRON TIPS: cont...

On brain waves; protect Mikey and save him last. This will preserve all the other humans. They cannot be turned into progs until Mikey is captured. Or if you die, this strategy is over.

On tank waves; Kill all boxes, then... travel counter clock wise and complete the circle around the tanks to discontinue there snowballs.

On all waves; Hunt the Spheres by Making your way to the sides, close to the corners, where Enforcers are being created by the Spheres. However stay a little bit away from the edge where bullets are flying along the edge.

Play well,
Clive

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users