Neo Geo games now in US eShop

35 replies to this topic

#1 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

Swingin' Space Reporter!

• 8,103 posts
  • Let's Dance!

Posted Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:20 PM

Yay, legitimately purchased Waku Waku 7 is now mine! 

The Switch really looks like a big flat Atari Lynx if I turn on the scan line filters.

I wish the developers would settle on a convention for pause, forward, and back ... right now it's a bit like early Playstation days where some games used X to go forward in menus, and others used the O button.

Nintendo games on Switch want you to press A to confirm, and B to go back. Of course they're in the opposite places from the Xbox controller, sigh. 

Neo Geo on Switch games want you to press - or + menus and A to confirm. I guess that's like START and SELECT. 

Blaster Master 2017 wants you to press B (home plate on the button diamond) to go forward, which would have felt natural to me had it not been for the Zelda game retraining me so well.

Argle bargle!

#2 Punisher5.0 OFFLINE  

Punisher5.0

River Patroller

• 3,144 posts

Posted Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:38 PM

I'm going to try out Metal Slug tonight. It's good to hear that there are filter options. How pixelated did the game look on the handheld screen?

#3 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

Swingin' Space Reporter!

• Topic Starter
  • 8,103 posts
  • Let's Dance!

Posted Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:51 PM

The default filter is blurry and awful. Turning filters off is pixely but sharp. There are 3 or 4 levels of scan line filters you can choose. I like the first one but it's a matter of personal preference.

#4 keepdreamin OFFLINE  

keepdreamin

Dragonstomper

• 565 posts

Posted Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:56 PM

can have all the filters you want, no Universe Bios? no thanks.

#5 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

Stargunner

• 1,425 posts

Posted Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:55 PM

I'm very interested in those games too but I don't think I'll likely end up buying any unfortunately for SNK, Hamster or Nintendo. :)  I've got most the games in my cabinet already I'd like to have one way or the other, and for on the go neo.emu with dumps of them supplied for it. :D

#6 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

Swingin' Space Reporter!

• Topic Starter
  • 8,103 posts
  • Let's Dance!

Posted Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:37 PM

can have all the filters you want, no Universe Bios? no thanks.

I assume that's this http://unibios.free.fr/index.html

What can it do that a good emulation front end can't? There are lots of features in these collections and I'm curious, thanks

#7 travistouchdown OFFLINE  

travistouchdown

River Patroller

• 3,378 posts
  • Do the math!

Posted Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:52 PM

If you have to get just one, which should I start with? 

#8 keepdreamin OFFLINE  

keepdreamin

Dragonstomper

• 565 posts

Posted Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:33 PM

I assume that's this http://unibios.free.fr/index.html

What can it do that a good emulation front end can't? There are lots of features in these collections and I'm curious, thanks

The universe bios is a build upon the old Neo Geo debug bios.  It's pretty much a standard install on the actual hardware for Neo Geo owners, and has been for many years now.  Among other things, it allows you to activate cheat options on the fly for each game that reach beyond the standard soft dips.  This is a must have for some titles, setting matches in Windjammers for infinite time for example.  You can quickly change between region, language, arcade or home mode.  Being Neo Geo games are arcade gmes, you can easily access the game soft dips, which include quite a few more options than you will typically find in a eShop style release.  For example, you can remove the level/credit display from the bottom of the screen.  There's other goodies like a soundcheck jukebox, game CRC check etc..

An emulator front end is mostly useful for setting hard dips (freeplay) for example, so you don't have to "insert" coins.  But for the rest of the stuff, you'll find it in the bios.

If you've got the recent neo geo bios zip pack, it will contain one release prior of unibios.  So in retroarch for example, you can set bios mode for "unibios" and use it.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Neo-Geo#using-the-universe-bios-unibios 

• On the Unibios boot screen
    • Neo-Geo A+B+C (RetroPad B+A+Y) for BIOS Menu
    • Neo-Geo B+C+D (RetroPad A+Y+X) for Test Menu
  • At any time
    • Neo-Geo Start+A+B+C (RetroPad Start+B+A+Y) for In-Game Menu

Edited by keepdreamin, Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:33 PM.

#9 Jess Ragan OFFLINE  

Jess Ragan

Phanto of the Opera

• 9,523 posts
  • Keys and Thank You

Posted Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:42 PM

Of the five offered? Either Waku Waku 7 or King of Fighters '98. I personally don't like KOF '98 ('99 and 2000 are my favorites of the Neo-Geo era KOFs), but it has more content overall than Waku Waku 7, which just has the seven fighters plus two bosses. It's a charming game and you'll love the nods to Japanese animation tropes, but its cast makes Skullgirls' selection of characters look immense by comparison.

If you don't like fighters (and if so, why not?!), I'd go for Shock Troopers instead. It's a sleek, fast-paced overhead view military shooter, like Ikari Warriors shifted into fourth gear. Nam 75 probably won't hold you attention for long. Although I'm in the minority on this one, I think Metal Slug 3 was one of the weaker entries in the Metal Slug series. Enemies in the later stages take... way... too... many... hits to kill.

#10 Punisher5.0 OFFLINE  

Punisher5.0

River Patroller

• 3,144 posts

Posted Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:42 PM

Can't go wrong with Metal Slug. This will be the third system that I bought it for.

#11 Punisher5.0 OFFLINE  

Punisher5.0

River Patroller

• 3,144 posts

Posted Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:20 AM

I would say KOF98 is the favorite of most Neo Geo fans so it was a good idea to go with that one. I have it on the AES and it's a great game. It has lots of character and background animations. I think I'm only missing 2001 so I've played almost all of them on original hardware. For me 2003 is my favorite but they are all great and can't go wrong with any of them.

I tried out Metal Slug last night and they did a good job getting it on the Switch. There are a ton of options (including saving!) and it feels just right. I had to change the button mapping because the original set up had it impossible to jump and fire at the same time. The only thing they need to fix is the dull colors but they already said they were.

#12 Punisher5.0 OFFLINE  

Punisher5.0

River Patroller

• 3,144 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:19 PM

There was an update released and now the color looks great and no delay in gun fire sound. This probably fixed all the Neo Geo games but I only have one to test it with.

#13 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

Swingin' Space Reporter!

• Topic Starter
  • 8,103 posts
  • Let's Dance!

Posted Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:36 PM

The updated colors are much more vivid, very impressive! I wonder why it looked washed out before? 

#14 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

Stargunner

• 1,425 posts

Posted Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:07 PM

Perhaps it was what they tested it on?  I'm not saying it's right, but maybe they didn't even bother to run it on the actual system itself or some kind of dev kit with a screen but instead coded it exclusively on a computer.  Back when the GBA first came out there were some games that had some odd color choices or were so dark in spots when played on a GBA you couldn't make out stuff without being under a very bright close light which in cases still was a chore.  Castlevania suffered badly from it which is why the other two titles were shades lighter.  The developer admitted they hadn't got a kit yet or a system ahead of them finishing it and used the PC-dev kit tools Nintendo provided and never bothered to look at it in a real world setting which was a big boo boo on their part.  I'm not saying it's right but maybe Hamster just took what they had with limited tools and just ported it without checking their work entirely as it wasn't just like some TVs or some Switch panels had the issue but it appears to have been wide spread.

#15 Punisher5.0 OFFLINE  

Punisher5.0

River Patroller

• 3,144 posts

Posted Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:14 PM

Yesterday one of the best Golf games ever made was added to the list. I'll definitely be buying Neo Turf Masters soon.

"On the Gleen!!"

#16 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

Stargunner

• 1,425 posts

Posted Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:58 PM

Damn right, glad I have the real deal on that, kit and all.  It's just so magnificently well made, and VERY rewarding in how you can push forward not having to drop more coin.

#17 Punisher5.0 OFFLINE  

Punisher5.0

River Patroller

• 3,144 posts

Posted Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:06 PM

Yep I have it on MVS too.

#18 godslabrat ONLINE  

godslabrat

River Patroller

• 3,999 posts
  • I took the midnight train going a-ny-where...

Posted Sat Apr 1, 2017 2:31 PM

If Nintendo adds TG-16 to its Switch offerings, I'd get one for the ESHOP ALONE.

#19 Punisher5.0 OFFLINE  

Punisher5.0

River Patroller

• 3,144 posts

Posted Sat Apr 1, 2017 3:38 PM

If Nintendo adds TG-16 to its Switch offerings, I'd get one for the ESHOP ALONE.

I'd like to try some Turbo Graphx. I've never played one before.

They added the first Metal Slug a few days ago.

#20 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

Stargunner

• 1,425 posts

Posted Sat Apr 1, 2017 5:49 PM

Given how expensive TG games are, especially the CDs, if they started carrying over that pre-eshop lineup that Wii got I'd be all over that.  You had stuff for like $8-10 with the likes of Dracula X, Ys Book 1+2, Gate of Thunder CD(which had bonk1+2 w/bomberman hiding) and more going on.  I'd buy into that eshop virtual console.

#21 travistouchdown OFFLINE  

travistouchdown

River Patroller

• 3,378 posts
  • Do the math!

Posted Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:39 AM

Has anyone played that golf game yet?  Really craving a good round of golf on my switch, and since EA has their head too far up their ass to make a decent PGA game, let along one for nintendo,  I'm thinking it may be my only option for a while.

I read that the greens are fairly narrow and unforgiving.  Can anyone confirm if this game is worth my 8 dollars? :) 

#22 Punisher5.0 OFFLINE  

Punisher5.0

River Patroller

• 3,144 posts

Posted Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:01 AM

Has anyone played that golf game yet?  Really craving a good round of golf on my switch, and since EA has their head too far up their ass to make a decent PGA game, let along one for nintendo,  I'm thinking it may be my only option for a while.

I read that the greens are fairly narrow and unforgiving.  Can anyone confirm if this game is worth my 8 dollars? :)

It's the best golf game I've ever played. I have it for Neo Geo and still bought it on Switch I like it that much.

Also, I hope we get Baseball Stars 2 eventually. That's another favorite.

#23 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

Stargunner

• 1,425 posts

Posted Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:58 AM

You just called Neo Turf Master ...that golf game? :P

Seriously though, it's actually one of the best crafted 2D style golf games ever made, and the fact that it's an arcade game is all the most puzzling and cool too because they worked within such tight confinement of wanting to squeeze quarters, but also make for a pleasing time with a sense of gambling your money with it too.

Gambling is that you get 4 free holes to start, if you can -1 (Birdie) you get a free hole, -2 (albatross) you can gain another...yet if you par and under you lose holes.  Other than that, it has 6 characters 4 courses (5th can unlock), and each character has their own benefits and hindrance to performance and it does show it.  All the courses are set, but the wind is all over the place so it varies things each play.  It uses the tried an true old since Nintendo Golf forward style of the tap tap tap play for swing, power, accuracy and using the stick to select clubs, back/top spin, and the rest.  It's one I would really suggest it, even if not on switch if you have an android or ios phone to buy it on there for on the go just to pick away at the holes since it'll save your work.

I actually own the full kit for the MVS arcade release (it and 8Man are my only kits) I like it that much and even on the arcade with my neosavemasta I can save progress too.

#24 Metal Jesus OFFLINE  

Metal Jesus

Stargunner

• 1,067 posts

Posted Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:04 AM

I picked up a couple of these as well: Metal Slug & Shock Troopers/ 

#25 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

Swingin' Space Reporter!

• Topic Starter
  • 8,103 posts
  • Let's Dance!

Posted Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:28 AM

I recently discovered that golf game ;-) on mobile, where it has been smartly ported by Dot.Emu with good simple controls. I like the cheesy graphics and was happy to buy it again for Switch.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users