CS1 capabilities

37 replies to this topic

#26 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 9,299 posts

Posted Thu Jan 4, 2018 8:13 AM

It may be that a multi-stage load is required... initially I had hoped to avoid it, but now that youve got me thinking about it, I could make it fun.... :)

Ill have to investigate how it can be done.

Thanks for making me think.

#27 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 9,299 posts

Posted Thu Jan 4, 2018 8:50 AM

I dont see how it would work.... multi-staging the load.

Youd have to MERGE one program with another, because when a new program is OLDed, it clears the pre-existing program away. There would have to be a bridge somewhere to merge two programs together, IMO. RUN does not have this issue, RUNning one program from another... but since this cannot be done from cassette, I think the only way to do a multi-stage load would be to (as falcon suggested) create some sort of an assembly bridge to allow the merging of two CS1-loaded programs into one program in memory...

I cant see how it could be done, otherwise. If someone has an idea, Im all ears. :)

#28 sometimes99er OFFLINE  

sometimes99er

River Patroller

• 4,111 posts

Posted Thu Jan 4, 2018 9:32 AM

Here's the first idea. You write program 1 and save it to CS1. Then you write program 2 and save it to CS1. NEW. Rewind cassette. OLD CS1. RUN. It will then prompt you for cassette operation.

Program 1
100 CALL CHAR(49,"AA55AA55AA55AA55")

110 RUN "CS1"

Program 2

100 PRINT "1"

110 GOTO 100

Edited by sometimes99er, Thu Jan 4, 2018 9:33 AM.

#29 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 9,299 posts

Posted Thu Jan 4, 2018 9:42 AM

Yes, I see. I have done this many times with DSK. But I am 99.9% sure you cannot RUN CS1.

CS1 can only be OLDed from or SAVEd to. Once the CS1 program is in memory, then it can be ran.

RUN, when used in a program, cannot be used when CS1 is the location of the program to be ran.

#30 sparkdrummer OFFLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 860 posts
  • Status? I don't need no stinkin' status!

Posted Thu Jan 4, 2018 9:57 AM

You can definitely RUN "CS!" from command mode and in a running program.

#31 sometimes99er OFFLINE  

sometimes99er

River Patroller

• 4,111 posts

Posted Thu Jan 4, 2018 9:58 AM

But I am 99.9% sure you cannot RUN CS1.

Okay. The emulators react fine with the program statement RUN "CS1". I haven't pursued it any further. Sorry. I haven't used cassette files since coming back to the TI, so I can't pull strings and do something quick and dirty. But I like cartridges. I hate printers - they consume cartridges one after the other.

Edited by sometimes99er, Thu Jan 4, 2018 9:59 AM.

#32 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 9,299 posts

Posted Thu Jan 4, 2018 10:01 AM

Then the .1% of uncertainty in my mind was valid. :)

I dont have my system set up right now, but it is encouraging to know this is possible. I did not think it was so.

Thank you sometimes and spark. Somehow I was convinced from past experiences that you couldnt do this.

#33 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 9,299 posts

Posted Thu Jan 4, 2018 10:02 AM

I hate printers - they consume cartridges one after the other.

:lol:

#34 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 9,299 posts

Posted Thu Jan 4, 2018 10:10 AM

From an old magazine:

5. In Extended BASIC, the command RUN "CS1" loads a program from the cassette drive and immediately runs it. It is equivalent to OLD CS1 followed by RUN. With a disk drive and Extended BASIC, you can use RUN "DSK1. filename", where filename is the name of the program on disk that you want to LOAD and RUN.

So, since this is the case, I wonder if string variables will retain properties if I give them value in Program #1 and try to use them in Program #2?

Time for some testing. :)

#35 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 9,299 posts

Posted Thu Jan 4, 2018 10:17 AM

As I suspected, the CHAR values are retained but it seems like variables are wiped... this is DSK testing, but I assume the behavior also applies to CS1 as well.

#36 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 9,299 posts

Posted Thu Jan 4, 2018 10:20 AM

Now, to revisit reading records from CS1. I need to figure out how to load data from tape into a pre-existing program.  **Looks like pages 207-212 of the Reference Guide are going to give me what I need.

At one point I went through all this, but I just cant seem to remember!!!

Edited by Opry99er, Thu Jan 4, 2018 10:37 AM.

#37 Casey OFFLINE  

Casey

Chopper Commander

• 214 posts

Posted Thu Jan 4, 2018 11:31 AM

I can certainly try RUN “CS1” in a program for you when I get home today. There’s no way to supress the cassette operating instructions though, so if you have a neat screen display, it’ll be gone by the scrolling instructions.

#38 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 9,299 posts

Posted Thu Jan 4, 2018 11:53 AM

Thanks Casey!

As the other fellows have said, RUN CS1 works... :D

You are correct about the scrolling... however I think it will not be a problem because all of the loading I will need to do will take place prior to the program starting up. Im looking forward to trying some things out. I will send you s couple programs to try out when you have some time... I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but Ill need someone to help me test on a physical machine before I can be confident.

Thanks for your offer to help!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users