IGNORED

Can a SD2IEC be used like a floppy replacement?

bpatte02

I wanted to know if a SD2IEC can be used to replace a floppy drive for my Vic-20. I though about playing around with Personal Finance on it and the program can save data by either a datasette or floppy disk. I wanted to know if I have a blank SD card in my SD2IEC is it possible for the Vic-20 to write that data to it like it would a floppy? It seems more of a desirable option given that my other option is cassette and that can be hit or miss. Just curious because I have the device and I'm not very knowledgeable of it's capabilities.

Thank you for the suggestion, however I was looking to use a cartridge program called Personal Finance which saves it's data either by cassette or floppy, I wanted to know if I could save the data on an SD card from the Vic-20 by tricking the computer into thinking the sd2iec is a floppy drive, not load the program from the SD card, but to save the data I input via the program onto the SD card. I hope that makes sense.

Thank you for the suggestion, however I was looking to use a cartridge program called Personal Finance which saves it's data either by cassette or floppy, I wanted to know if I could save the data on an SD card from the Vic-20 by tricking the computer into thinking the sd2iec is a floppy drive, not load the program from the SD card, but to save the data I input via the program onto the SD card. I hope that makes sense.

How would the program know a device that emulates a floppy drive isn't a floppy drive?

It just opens a file on a drive and reads/writes.

It should work fine.

I think it will work fine, because this type of program doesn't set up its own fastloader routines with the floppy drive, which is the area where SD2IEC devices otherwise have trouble.

Perhaps you will want to create a blank D64 file, and set up a list of disk images to browse through with the appropriate buttons, if your device has those installed, as I tend to remember that it default to the root folder of the SD card on power on, which will happen after you inserted the cartridge program and restarted the computer. Then again, the program might accept to write files directly to the SD card without going through a D64 image anyway.

Edited by carlsson

SD2IEC behaves like a generic 1541 clone and works fine with many disks and programs. However those that uses fastloader which covers a lot of the games will not work because SD2IEC does not emulate true 1541 mode.

You should be OK with many uses. I use my mainly for making backup copies of old disks and for transferring games from internet to real disk to play,

It worked like a charm. I got an old 64mb SD card and formatted it and my Vic copied my data over to it with no problems. As always thanks everyone for your support.

For future reference, did you create a blank d64 file and mount that? Or were you able to write directly to the SD2IEC?