Photo

How long can one leave a 99/4A powered on?

5 replies to this topic

#1 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Space Invader

• 14 posts

Posted Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:21 PM

Weird question, but I was just thinking about this since I've had my TI on since like 9am this morning.

Is there a recommendation for how the computer should be powered on?  It doesn't appear to generate a lot of heat but I'm not sure if it's rough on the electronics or not.

Since the last time I played one I was a kid I don't have really any context.  :)

Thanks in advance!

#2 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 2,057 posts

Posted Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:29 PM

At this point i wouldn't leave one on you aren't using. Electronics are getting older..  unless you have some spares

In the 80's mine was on 24/7 for about 2-3 years running my BBS until I decided I wanted my TI back and set up a PCXT for the BBS.. Richard Bell runs his BBS currently 24/7 and it's on pretty much nonstop.. I think he did some upgrades to his console not sure if any are power related..

Greg

#3 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 14 posts

Posted Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:40 PM

At this point i wouldn't leave one on you aren't using. Electronics are getting older..  unless you have some spares

In the 80's mine was on 24/7 for about 2-3 years running my BBS until I decided I wanted my TI back and set up a PCXT for the BBS.. Richard Bell runs his BBS currently 24/7 and it's on pretty much nonstop.. I think he did some upgrades to his console not sure if any are power related..

Greg

Cool, thanks!

#4 InsaneMultitasker ONLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• 1,483 posts

Posted Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:33 PM

Like Richard and Greg, I ran my TI nonstop for a few years for BBS purposes.  I still run my Geneve system 24x7 (to operate Heatwave BBS) but no longer keep everytning turned on, both to limit heat output and to feed less $$ to the electric company. 

#5 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• 1,702 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:33 PM

Weird question, but I was just thinking about this since I've had my TI on since like 9am this morning.

Is there a recommendation for how the computer should be powered on?  It doesn't appear to generate a lot of heat but I'm not sure if it's rough on the electronics or not.

Since the last time I played one I was a kid I don't have really any context.   :)

Thanks in advance!

+1 to what Greg said.  I too had my 99/4A on 24/7 for 3 years while I was running a BBS back in the 80's.  But since electronics are getting older and we all know how capacitors dry out over time.   

#6 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 14 posts

Posted Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:43 PM

Thanks all!  That's what i was suspecting, so I wanted to make sure that I didn't prematurely bork a console before I had its replacement.  ;)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users