IGNORED

Three drives report "BOOT ERROR" on over 100 floppies that worked last year

Starman

I know there's been a move to create pure versions of cracked software without the various pirate/BBS loaders but it would also be cool to extract all the loaders into compilation disks where they can be seen/preserved.

• Like 1

You never know what lurks on a disk.... countless pieces of information saved and forgotten... oh that's just my old terminal program disk... but.... there is a text file you captured with a fix no one remembers or there is a game that no one has and you downloaded it, and look there is a complete painstaking typed manual with hints for a game! Why heck look at that I forgot I had the POS software on this disk, oh my a custom config/batch system with boot loader!

These disks are often skip forgotten or trashed.... heck even some capture buffer info on hard drives and interfaces etc... all kinds of very useful things hide on these disks.... I for one chose carefully what I downloaded saved and captured on floppies back then... they were a commodity and I didn't waste my money to put a story about pocket lint consistency on them... now once I had a hard drive all that kind of stuff happened... :)

Bottom line old disks keep getting skipped and lots of time it's valuable software or information hiding on that disk!

_The Doctor__

Edited by _The Doctor__

After 30 years, I know where the text files are :D

My goal with these discs is to back them up as images to preserve them as they are, and then go through them to weed out the redundant files (because...everyone needs 9 copies of the same version of Preppie II).

Is there some kind of app/game database for the Atari 800 series?

Atarimania is constantly looking for missing and incomplete entries

Archive.org is also on the look out for every shred that they can find....

stop selling yourself short, it may seem like an over whelming amount of items on those sites, but I have almost always found that everyone eventually find that one more thing that was missing or wanted but we couldn't name it till we saw it again!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

kheller2,

If it helps you, the S/Ns on the drives are:

83A FF 41279 055

83A FF 44911 075

And just to give a project update - I ordered an SIO2PC (USB) from Atarimax. My goal is to archive everything in .ATR images first, then go through them and remove the redundant files. For example: I have a copy of Stealth and Landscape. I consider those to be different, but I think I have five copies of the same binary of Montezuma's Revenge.

I'd never seen or heard of the Landscape version of Stealth! I just downloaded it from Atarimania. Thanks!

It's been a week and no word on my SIO2PC from Atarimax. How long does it take for them to ship something?

I'm pretty sure Steve Tucker (the guy who basically *is* "AtariMax") has a day job or some kind of life separate from supporting Atari nerds like us. So I'm guessing stuff like that, and the repro OSS carts he makes and sells, are probably built to order or in very small batches so he doesn't have too much cash tied up in hardware. I've had orders from him ship a couple days after I placed the order, and recently one took about two weeks to ship.

• Like 1

Atarimania is constantly looking for missing and incomplete entries

Archive.org is also on the look out for every shred that they can find....

stop selling yourself short, it may seem like an over whelming amount of items on those sites, but I have almost always found that everyone eventually find that one more thing that was missing or wanted but we couldn't name it till we saw it again!

There are hundreds of missing software, manuals, etc.

Allan

Hi all,

I've had a collection of about 300 Atari 800 floppies for about 30+ years. As of last year, they were fine. All of them. Today, I decided to check them all out so that I can back them up with SIO2PC. When I booted my 800XL with the disk in one of my 1050s, all I got was "BOOT ERROR". Another floppy - BOOT ERROR. Another 1050 drive - BOOT ERROR. My Spartan Archiver 810 drive - BOOT ERROR. I literally tested about 100 floppies hoping one of them would work. Heads are clean on all floppy drives.

The problem I have is that I don't know how to tell if all three drives went bad or if all my floppies went bad. I realize floppies go bad, but I have a bunch of PC and ST floppies that still work after 30 years. Statistically, I'd think that some of those floppies should work. They've always been kept in a temp. controlled area, away from dust (in a container).

So, here's the thing - I don't want to get an SIO2PC if the floppies are shot. There's really no point, and it's a waste of money. Is there some way to get a clean floppy with an OS on it to test? All my Atari Master Floppies don't work, both version 2 and version 3.

If all this data is gone, I'll be upset because there may be things (games) that the community doesn't have. Also, my old BBS is on one of the floppies and there's some interesting personal stuff on there I'd like to back up. Also, the game I sent to the Star Wars Fan Club that won the Creativity Contest is on one of the floppies and that's giving me an error as well.

EDIT: I should mention that I swapped the IO cable. Could this be a problem with the 800XL?

I had a similar experience. 30 year old Atari disks that worked fine just a couple of years ago, no longer work now. I didn't change how they were stored or anything. Maybe we're running up against the limits of how long these things can last?

Not even close.

Allan

Been trying for YEARS to get Atari Frog to allow download sets or packs rather than this one at a time thing, a few years back he said he would look at it as a possibility but then nothing.

Many years ago I tried 'mirroring the site but its protected from it...

Such a shame as I don't have the time or patience to get it all by hand.

Also a shame about the vast amount of missing software, I bet it IS out there but people just don't want to let it be archived even though they will still own this mega rare game etc..

Well, I'm still waiting on the SIO2PC but for funzies I decided to start going through the floppies I have and seeing if they correspond with what's on atarimania. I came across a floppy with a handwritten label "Tunnelworld (NOTE: name to be changed to 'Crusade')" with an Artworx label. No information about this is anywhere on the 'net. Anyone know what this might be?

EDIT: And no, I'm not looking at these floppies in a drive until the SIO2PC gets here.

Edited by Starman
  • Like 2

from artworx the title... space crusade: tunnel world sure sounds about right, that would be an excellent find. don't think I've seen it hiding anywhere. maybe they were the tunnels of Armageddon! it could be a space trap though

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 1 month later...