Photo

You can't get more biased...

36 replies to this topic

#1 AtariNostalgia OFFLINE  

AtariNostalgia

Space Invader

• 20 posts

Posted Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:59 PM

Wow! This person either does not know Atari 8 bit computers or he is so biased he can't see (nor hear)...

Edited by AtariNostalgia, Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:00 PM.

#2 Xebec OFFLINE  

Xebec

Chopper Commander

• 219 posts

Posted Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:13 PM

Most of his videos are pretty good;  not everyone knows the Atari 8-bit as well as we do :).  This is now also one of his older videos - he's gotten a bit better over time.  English is not his native language also.  

In this video he does get the Jay Miner part correctly; similarities to the Amiga, etc.    the A8 picture quality does need some mods to look best.  

Maybe I'm a fanboy of his channel - but his video seems OK?

#3 shoestring OFFLINE  

shoestring

Chopper Commander

• 220 posts

Posted Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:25 PM

I've been following his channel for awhile and he does some really good game reviews. He is the only guy on YT that does lets compare videos on real hardware, he refuses to do comparisons on emulators.

He does admit in his videos that he may be biased towards the c64 in some ways because that's the system he grew up with however, I don't think there's anything wrong with his view on the Atari.

#4 popmilo OFFLINE  

popmilo

Stargunner

• 1,387 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:55 AM

I've been following his channel for awhile and he does some really good game reviews. He is the only guy on YT that does lets compare videos on real hardware, he refuses to do comparisons on emulators.

He does admit in his videos that he may be biased towards the c64 in some ways because that's the system he grew up with however, I don't think there's anything wrong with his view on the Atari.

Agreed. Good videos. He pointed out enough good things about Atari and didn't say anything really bad about it.

I'ts normal that he has bias towards Commodore. Feeling the same over here. Grew up with c128 and nothing can replace that feeling of growing up with that machine in corner of the room waiting for you to get back from school :)

I bet people growing up with Atari feel the same towards their machine.

#5 Tillek OFFLINE  

Tillek

Dragonstomper

• 581 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:48 AM

For some, the war will never be truly behind us... :(

#6 JamesD ONLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 7,346 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:04 AM

There are several problem I see with his analysis.

On the Atari, he doesn't mention programmers can overcome what appears to be much more limited sprite hardware, but he mentions how easy the C64 can put additional sprites on screen.  What is a DLI interrupt?  I guess he doesn't know and he skips the part where the hardware can automatically change the color palette without CPU intervention once you set up the display list.  Without seeing the actual results that are possible, you would think Atari graphics were limited to what you see in early titles like basketball but maybe with a few more colors.  And those chrome function keys are not so good... because clearly, you constantly use those and you need them to be regular keys?

He also seems to skip talking about some of the issues the C64 has.  If you are going for lots of full screen color and animation rather than just hardware sprites, you have to use character oriented graphics and then you have to deal with color clash... which he never mentions.  It's also much slower for bitmapped graphics where you draw lines (vector type graphics) due to the character oriented memory layout, and there is no mention of the horribly slow disk drive transfer speeds from the factory.  But it has SVideo!

No significant comparison of BASIC or DOS, just that Atari has commands that support sprites and sound... wait... what???  Sprites?   And where is the mention that the C64 has NO commands for anything graphic or sound related whatsoever.  Oh yeah, the Atari has a couple more commands from the sound of that.  To which I say, DRAW A LINE.
Atari BASIC has it's problems, but come on, this is one of it's major strengths over the C64 and it's only mentioned briefly in passing like it's not a big deal.

All it takes is a slightly different tone and a few omissions to bias the comparison.  You come away with a much more negative impression of the Atari than it deserves even if his assessment really isn't wrong.  The function keys aren't just "not regular keys", they are "not so good".

It's not a horrible comparison, but it does appear to be biased.  I'm not sure about "you can't get more biased"... because I've seen more biased.  But it is definitely biased.

#7 Stefan Both OFFLINE  

Stefan Both

Moonsweeper

• 262 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:54 AM

so... what to do?
arrest him ;) ?

Stefan

#8 Stefan Both OFFLINE  

Stefan Both

Moonsweeper

• 262 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:11 PM

Before I'll get hit by friendly fire, here
my "more serious" suggestions.

a) write him, or at least point him to this discussion. He speaks english, he should be able to understand. He doesnt look like the devil himselve, nor he talk like that. Maybe he just doesnt know better.

b) make your own YT-channel. And tell him ;)

Stefan

#9 JamesD ONLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 7,346 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:02 PM

Before I'll get hit by friendly fire, here
my "more serious" suggestions.

a) write him, or at least point him to this discussion. He speaks english, he should be able to understand. He doesnt look like the devil himselve, nor he talk like that. Maybe he just doesnt know better.

b) make your own YT-channel. And tell him ;)

Stefan

Look at the replies on youtube.  He argues with anyone that disagrees.  His bias is much more obvious there.

#10 Bryan OFFLINE  

Bryan

Quadrunner

• 10,503 posts
  • Cruise Elroy = 4DB7

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:17 PM

Don't do too good of a job educating people. A8's are already expensive enough on ebay! :)

#11 Defender II OFFLINE  

Defender II

Stargunner

• 1,148 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:50 PM

Don't do too good of a job educating people. A8's are already expensive enough on ebay! :)

:thumbsup: I totally agree. I have better use for my time than to waste it trying to convince C-64 users that A8's are better and don't need more competition buying parts and software. :-D

#12 gamer-stu OFFLINE  

gamer-stu

Chopper Commander

• 103 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:28 AM

He's actually one of my favorite retro Youtubers. You're right in that he doesn't know a lot about Atari 8-bits, but he sure has fun playing the games.  I love the video of him playing the APX Salmon Run:

Edited by gamer-stu, Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:32 AM.

#13 Fred_M ONLINE  

Fred_M

Moonsweeper

• 271 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:32 AM

I also watch his videos. Most of his videos are very funny because he is not very good in playing videogames. I think we should not take everything so seriously  ;)

If you don't like his videos, than don't watch  ;)

#14 gargoyle OFFLINE  

gargoyle

Chopper Commander

• 185 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:20 PM

I didn't find his comments biased at all. And oh yeah, one can get way more biased than this.

Edited by gargoyle, Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:21 PM.

#15 emkay ONLINE  

emkay

Quadrunner

• 8,504 posts
  • What's up?

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:30 PM

Seems he encountered the PAL issue with Salmon Run.

#16 gamer-stu OFFLINE  

gamer-stu

Chopper Commander

• 103 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:18 PM

"I'm not an expert on salmon, but I think they mate a little differently."  :-D

#17 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 2,354 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:39 PM

the guy is completely biased and you recognize it over time.... it is a pattern.... I don't think he realizes the Amiga is the Atari's successor...   Just put a C= on it and it is wunderbar! is somehow besser in some vays!

at least he gives some credit to it's creativity though!

He is warming up to the Atari slowly maybe in another 15 years he'll be a convert!

Edited by _The Doctor__, Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:45 PM.

#18 JamesD ONLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 7,346 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:51 PM

"I'm not an expert on salmon, but I think they mate a little differently."  :-D

I was expecting "but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!"

#19 Irgendwer OFFLINE  

Irgendwer

Stargunner

• 1,154 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:53 PM

the guy is completely biased and you recognize it over time.... it is a pattern.... I don't think he realizes the Amiga is the Atari's successor...   Just put a C= on it and it is wunderbar! is somehow besser in some vays!

Who cares. If you like to raise your blood pressure read this thread from the beginning till end: http://atariage.com/...ri-v-commodore/

• NRV likes this

#20 Stefan Both OFFLINE  

Stefan Both

Moonsweeper

• 262 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:58 PM

Without this thread, I'd never seen a single
clip of him. I don't mind at all, but I also
did not expect to see the computer wars
still active...
I'm happy to have all the systems A and C,
8 and 16/32 bit ... it's totally different
to play / work with, but I have the same fun.
My opinion is, our world has bigger problems
to solve. I would not even have the time to
run my own YT cannel.

Stefan

Edited by Stefan Both, Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:58 PM.

#21 fujidude OFFLINE  

fujidude

River Patroller

• 4,581 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:17 PM

Yeah, it's okay to reminisce about the old systems and discuss advantages and disadvantages, but no one's manhood should be tied to the triumph of any particular brand / model.

Edited by fujidude, Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:21 PM.

#22 sanny OFFLINE  

sanny

Chopper Commander

• 167 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:38 PM

What is a DLI interrupt?  I guess he doesn't know and he skips the part where the hardware can automatically change the color palette without CPU intervention once you set up the display list.

If I don't miss anything, I don't think that is possible. The DLI interrupts the CPU and it in turn modifies the colors.

#23 JamesD ONLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 7,346 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:45 PM

If I don't miss anything, I don't think that is possible. The DLI interrupts the CPU and it in turn modifies the colors.

Some people take things a bit too literal.

#24 spacecadet OFFLINE  

spacecadet

River Patroller

• 2,118 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:58 PM

I think the word "biased" is kind of strange in this situation. The guy clearly owns all these machines, he bought them himself, and now he's making a video sharing his opinions on them. "Bias" and "opinion" aren't the same thing. People throw around the word "bias" because they think it's a bad word that discredits whoever they're talking about, when really what's going on here is just that he has an opinion that you disagree with.

YouTube is a great thing because anyone can make a channel and share their videos. If you don't like his opinions, you can make your own channel and share your opinions instead. If you make coherent arguments, more people will agree with you and subscribe to your channel. But I can't see what a post like this is supposed to accomplish.

#25 shoestring OFFLINE  

shoestring

Chopper Commander

• 220 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:02 PM

He does give credit when it's due. So I don't think he is biased at all.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=7poswTbHIaM

If you think you can make a better comparison between the c64 and Atari then open your own YT channel and make a video. It's not as easy as you think.

Edited by shoestring, Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:03 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users