Photo

Collecting every singleitem in Level 3 of Montezuma's Revenge (Parker Bros)

24 replies to this topic

#1 subjugator OFFLINE  

subjugator

Space Invader

• 32 posts

Posted Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:01 PM

Level 3 has both sides of the pyramid open, but passages between them are mostly blocked.

Just wanted to see if it can be done - it is surprisingly challenging, but still did it with a score of 109,750 (on Altirra). See if you can get a higher score

Attached Thumbnails

• monty-level3-allitems.png

#2 Atari Nut ONLINE  

Atari Nut

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:47 PM

Is there anyway to get unlimited lives in this game?

#3 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

River Patroller

• 4,587 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:41 PM

How are you playing it, real machine or emulator?

If real are you using atrs or real cart / disks...

Depending on the answer I might be able to cheat it for you..

Edited by Mclaneinc, Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:42 PM.

#4 rdea6 OFFLINE  

rdea6

River Patroller

• 2,435 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:18 PM

The one by Utopia has a never die hex byte change to cancel the lives count down.  If you are interested in this version I can upload it here..

#5 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

River Patroller

• 4,587 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:30 PM

Is there a difference between the Parker Bro release and the original by Utopia?

I presumed all the Utopia releases were classed as beta's?

I only ask as many versions mix up the two releases

Which is the right version to have the drawn Monty revenge intro (ish), I presumed the release version but I have atx's that don't show that intro?

Edited by Mclaneinc, Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:40 PM.

#6 therealbountybob OFFLINE  

therealbountybob

Quadrunner

• 7,082 posts
  • High Score Club New Season Starting

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:42 PM

There's lots of info on the Montezuma game(s) on this HSC Thread - S7 R9 :)

#7 Atari Nut ONLINE  

Atari Nut

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:46 PM

I'm using the Parker Bros .atr version on a 130XE.  I'm launching it from the FAT32 Loader of the MyIDE-II Cart.  The Utopia version was never finished and can't be completed.  It has more rooms and that great intro.  It also has some nice little extra details such as the spider webs in the rooms.  The main character is called Pedro in the Utopia version and Panama Joe in the official released Parker Bros version. 

#8 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

River Patroller

• 4,587 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:50 PM

Thank you that man, it just shows how confusing it is but there some mega info in that thread..

THANK YOU

Paul..

#9 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

River Patroller

• 4,587 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:54 PM

I'm using the Parker Bros .atr version on a 130XE.  I'm launching it from the FAT32 Loader of the MyIDE-II Cart.  The Utopia version was never finished and can't be completed.  It has more rooms and that great intro.  It also has some nice little extra details such as the spider webs in the rooms.  The main character is called Pedro in the Utopia version and Panama Joe in the official released Parker Bros version. 

Well here's a trained Parker Bros version from my stock...

With all the confusion I hope its the right one...

Paul

Just re-looked and I have versions that load up like the Parker version but are classed as Utopia beta's ?????? argh..............................

This naming convention thing stinks so much after all these years...

As i don't have the original any more its so hard to tell what is what.....

Attached Files

Edited by Mclaneinc, Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:58 PM.

#10 Atari Nut ONLINE  

Atari Nut

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:05 PM

Thanks Paul.  What do you mean when you say "trained"?  Does that mean unlimited lives?

#11 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

River Patroller

• 4,587 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:08 PM

Yes..Trainers were a relic of mostly the late 80 / 90's, basically it meant options to do thing you could not normally do...

Back then it was normally X lives where X was the number of lives, normally 255 as FF was an easy hex edit, some games checked to see how many lives you had and acted accordingly against it so FF became a little obsolete and us cheaters had to up our game :)

Edited by Mclaneinc, Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:12 PM.

#12 Atari Nut ONLINE  

Atari Nut

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:46 PM

The "trained" version is still difficult.  Now we need someone to modify the superior Utopia version to make it winnable.

#13 DavidMil OFFLINE  

DavidMil

Chopper Commander

• 223 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:53 PM

How many levels are there in the Parker Brothers version?  I thing I've got up to level 5 a couple of times, but died right away a things are

moving soooo fast.

DavidMil

#14 subjugator OFFLINE  

subjugator

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:30 PM

How many levels are there in the Parker Brothers version?  I thing I've got up to level 5 a couple of times, but died right away a things are

moving soooo fast.

DavidMil

9 levels - 9th level repeats infinitely. Levels 5-9 are the same, with the only difference being darkness starting earlier into the level. Level 9 is completely dark and must be beaten by memory (at until you find the torch). This is a TV screenshot of me finally beating Level 9 on real hardware without saves/cheats a couple of years back.

pm16j.jpg

Edited by subjugator, Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:33 PM.

#15 Atari Nut ONLINE  

Atari Nut

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:47 PM

With the Unlimited Lives version attached above, does anyone know how to select a starting level above 3?  I read you can hold down SELECT while booting but I can't get it to work.  Also tried the un-modified version and I still can't select a starting level above 3.

#16 DavidMil OFFLINE  

DavidMil

Chopper Commander

• 223 posts

Posted Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:36 PM

One other thing I remember about level 5:  If you run into a skull, or a spider, or a snake without a sword they don't disappear.

learned this the hard way.

DavidMil

#17 Rybags OFFLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 14,655 posts

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:27 AM

Tragic that the original game was never properly finished and the Parker release IMO is a shadow of it and moved too far away from the action adventure that was the original intent.

Like Spelunker this game is worth re-engineering such that new levels could be created, and within the spirit of the Utopia original.

#18 DavidMil OFFLINE  

DavidMil

Chopper Commander

• 223 posts

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:52 AM

9 levels - 9th level repeats infinitely. Levels 5-9 are the same, with the only difference being darkness starting earlier into the level. Level 9 is completely dark and must be beaten by memory (at until you find the torch). This is a TV screenshot of me finally beating Level 9 on real hardware without saves/cheats a couple of years back.

pm16j.jpg

You did it from memory?  Wow!  I have trouble remembering how to get to my bathroom..

David

#19 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

River Patroller

• 4,587 posts

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:38 PM

I can't even remember IF I have a bathroom :)

#20 Atari Nut ONLINE  

Atari Nut

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:50 PM

Tragic that the original game was never properly finished and the Parker release IMO is a shadow of it and moved too far away from the action adventure that was the original intent.

Like Spelunker this game is worth re-engineering such that new levels could be created, and within the spirit of the Utopia original.

Perhaps we can get the original author to complete his version...

#21 rdea6 OFFLINE  

rdea6

River Patroller

• 2,435 posts

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:56 PM

My thoughts on this is that the original Utopia game was finished if you got to the Tall guy and was able to taunt him for several minutes before pressing RESET and doing it again.

#22 DavidMil OFFLINE  

DavidMil

Chopper Commander

• 223 posts

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:29 PM

I would be more than happy to buy a finished version of this wonderful old game.

David

#23 Tempest ONLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• 25,701 posts

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:50 PM

I wonder how you were supposed to beat Montezuma? Maybe hit him while holding a sword?

#24 kiwilove OFFLINE  

kiwilove

Dragonstomper

• 615 posts

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:06 PM

I never persevered with this brilliant game to see later levels in it - I can agree that it would be nice to see it being enhanced or extra levels/bits added to - to breathe extra life into it.  (Also other such games...).

I did find it too hard - like Shamus - that you have to be a joystick jockey to get that far into it - and complete it.

Harvey

#25 DavidMil OFFLINE  

DavidMil

Chopper Commander

• 223 posts

Posted Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:06 AM

pm16j.jpg

The score showing, is that a roll over from 1 million or did you just run straight through the level without getting everything?  I can't get to level 5 with less than

David

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users