IGNORED

Games that use Apple II-style artifacting for colors

AlecRob

Ultima ][ does. Others in the series might. I could guess that since the games were first made on the Apple II in monochrome(to generate artifacting) it was too much work to rewrite the Atari ports.

There are many games that got ported but never improved. Again laziness and cost.

Does anyone have a list of games that use this graphical technique? I'm fascinated by this graphical style on the A8... Why was it even used? The hardware was capable of regular color, so why use tricks to produce inferior quality?

Because it was a quirk of the NTSC system, colours with no fancy tricks of code..

I got so used too and indoctrinated into NTSC artifacting with games from the Ultima series and pinball Construction Set, AND using it in some high-res graphic applications, that I hated, at first, not having it anymore with my S-video PAL XL. I am getting used to monochrome with no color and it is better for high-res games from England and Europe where they didn't use artifacting, but I will be getting an NTSC machine up and running soon for some artifacting graphics. Also, with artifacting colors, sometimes what I would do was to turn down the color on the monitor and get shades of grey that looked cool, especially on the high-res games that didn't use artifacting to advantage, but it occurs whether you like it or not.

Edited by Gunstar

Does anyone have a list of games that use this graphical technique? I'm fascinated by this graphical style on the A8... Why was it even used? The hardware was capable of regular color, so why use tricks to produce inferior quality?

I think a lot of times it was used to make porting from Apple II easier!

#1 reason not to use it: things tend to look sloppy where unintentional artifacting occurs. This is why I prefer to target 320 mode graphics for systems using s-video, and add color using PM's if necessary/desired.

#2 reason not to use it: single color artifacting ends up being at 160 anyway.

#3 reason not to use it: NTSC only.

Edited by MrFish

It is possible to get the IBM CGA color palette (16 colors) using artifacting and interlace.

The trick is to alternate the background PF2 every scanline between two colors on opposite sides of the color wheel: Blue-gold, Red-cyan, or Magenta-green, depending on which artifact phase your computer uses.

Then, all the possible artifact/non artifact blends (16 of them) will get you two reds, two blues, two greens, two yellow, two magenta, two cyan, and 4 greyscale.

• Like 1

It is possible to get the IBM CGA color palette (16 colors) using artifacting and interlace.

The trick is to alternate the background PF2 every scanline between two colors on opposite sides of the color wheel: Blue-gold, Red-cyan, or Magenta-green, depending on which artifact phase your computer uses.

Then, all the possible artifact/non artifact blends (16 of them) will get you two reds, two blues, two greens, two yellow, two magenta, two cyan, and 4 greyscale.

One of the ugliest color palettes known to man. :D

Seriously, though, do you have a practical example that uses this technique?

• Like 2

I don't think many games used it apart from some of the Apple ports, its not really a nice look and very restricted, even with changing things like Drol in PAL land from 0F to 0E in the display list still looked ugly. Stuff like Apple ports suffered from the wish to do a simple port and also keep it like the Apple look rather than using the better host machine.....Its a nonsense that runs through computer history, think Peter Johnson's ST to Amiga ports, totally lazy in terms of using the hardware but the volume of work he had made it very easy for him not to venture in to support the Amiga hardware more, page screen scrolling on the Amiga, disgusting... :)

He hated seeing us at the shows because he knew it was going to be "oy, sort out the Amiga please", same with Steve Bak (Goldrunner fame), so lazy ports..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Well, I love the way (intentional) artifacting looks in A8 games.

Choplifter - the delicate, single pixel pulsating stars in the background, and the overall crispness of the graphics.

Ultima III - High resolution text on the same horizontal plane as multi-color graphics. Even my loved Alternate Reality is kind of sloppy in this regard, wasting space on either side of the main window.

Don't think we would have gotten nearly as much software early on if artifacting wasn't available making conversions much easier. I'm skeptical software houses would have gone through the expense of converting to Atari's lower resolution modes on an unproven system.

• Like 1