Photo

Loaner Cartridge.. Fake or the real deal ?

7 replies to this topic

#1 jonnyangl OFFLINE  

jonnyangl

Combat Commando

• 8 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:26 AM

HI Guys

Does this loaner cartridge look like a fake or perhaps it is a genuine article ?  can not tell myself because
people seem to be producing repo cartridges and trying to sell them as originals .

Any response would be appreciated.. thanks 

John

Attached Thumbnails

• s-l1600.jpg

#2 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• 26,100 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:50 AM

That looks legit to me.  The sticker has rounded corners (square corners are always a give away that it's fake) and the white label has the correct font.  Congrats!

#3 jonnyangl OFFLINE  

jonnyangl

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:28 AM

Hi Tempest

I am new here and did not know where to post this type of question.  I just started collecting for the Atari and did notice that people are selling  repos and trying to pass the off as the original. For example,, i have read online that the Pepsi Invaders game that was made has no label or box made for it but I have seen people on Ebay trying to sell them as originals for a large sum of money. So hard to tell what is an original and what was a professional reproduction.  I just googled images for Pepsi Invaders and look at what i have come up with .. even Prototype cartridges.. one looks fake because of the squared label..  

Since i am a newbie collector, i dont want to be fleeced by an ebay scammer selling repos as the genuine article.   thanks for helping out guys :)

John 

Attached Thumbnails

• s-l1600.jpg
  • gallery_32062_1147_229922.png
  • pepsi fake.jpg
  • pepsiInvaders2600.jpg
  • PepsiInvadersAtari2600.jpg

#4 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• 26,100 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:10 PM

The Pepsi-Coke pictures (second and fifth) are interesting.  The loaner label and end label (the black labels) look authentic, but the white labels on them are modern fakes (wrong size, wrong font, and real Atari protos don't have end labels or actually say 'Prototype' on them).  It looks like someone took a real lab loaner and stuck fake labels on it.   The third and fourth pictures are modern reproductions.

We do have a prototype forum, so I'll move this thread there.

#5 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Sheriff

• 32,049 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:20 PM

Not worth the price. LOL

http://www.ebay.com/...rJPdC7VBwYP-BLw

#6 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• 26,100 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:32 PM

Not worth the price. LOL

http://www.ebay.com/...rJPdC7VBwYP-BLw

Lordy!  Cut a digit off that and you may be closer to the real price.

#7 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Sheriff

• 32,049 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:44 PM

I was just pointing out where the picture came from. :)

#8 mr.bill OFFLINE  

mr.bill

Chopper Commander

• 131 posts

Posted Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:01 PM

Hi Tempest

I am new here and did not know where to post this type of question.  I just started collecting for the Atari and did notice that people are selling  repos and trying to pass the off as the original. For example,, i have read online that the Pepsi Invaders game that was made has no label or box made for it but I have seen people on Ebay trying to sell them as originals for a large sum of money. So hard to tell what is an original and what was a professional reproduction.  I just googled images for Pepsi Invaders and look at what i have come up with .. even Prototype cartridges.. one looks fake because of the squared label..  

Since i am a newbie collector, i dont want to be fleeced by an ebay scammer selling repos as the genuine article.   thanks for helping out guys :)

John 

I would say #5 is fake. At best a proto with a fake label. The only real looking one is #1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users