Photo

Av mod + vcr question

8 replies to this topic

#1 Noah98 OFFLINE  

Noah98

Dragonstomper

• 549 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:20 AM

A few years ago I bought a Vader from a local shop and it was already av modded. The picture is very dark and the colors bleed. I took it apart and adjusted the color, which helped, but it still looks bad.

I picked up an old VCR from a thrift store, ran it through that, and the picture is amazing! Clear, bright, and proper colors. My question is, how can I make my 2600's picture look like that without the VCR, and why might it be happening? Is there something I could do internally to get the same effect?

#2 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

River Patroller

• 3,821 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:29 AM

sounds like the signal needs to be amplified, there's a simple transistor circuit that can be made for cheap

#3 Hank Rearden OFFLINE  

Hank Rearden

Chopper Commander

• 142 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:58 AM

A few years ago I bought a Vader from a local shop and it was already av modded. The picture is very dark and the colors bleed. I took it apart and adjusted the color, which helped, but it still looks bad.

I picked up an old VCR from a thrift store, ran it through that, and the picture is amazing! Clear, bright, and proper colors. My question is, how can I make my 2600's picture look like that without the VCR, and why might it be happening? Is there something I could do internally to get the same effect?

Did yours also have ghosting? I absolutely hate the way the picture looks on the AV mod. Arguably the picture is better on my RF unit.

I need to see if I can borrow a stand alone VCR since the AV input on the TV with a built in VCR and DVD may not be accomplishing what you are getting from a stand alone VCR.

#4 Noah98 OFFLINE  

Noah98

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 549 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:42 AM

sounds like the signal needs to be amplified, there's a simple transistor circuit that can be made for cheap

Do you know where I can find directions? I'd love to try this out and see if it helps.

Edited by Noah98, Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:43 AM.

#5 Noah98 OFFLINE  

Noah98

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 549 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:45 AM

Did yours also have ghosting? I absolutely hate the way the picture looks on the AV mod. Arguably the picture is better on my RF unit.

I need to see if I can borrow a stand alone VCR since the AV input on the TV with a built in VCR and DVD may not be accomplishing what you are getting from a stand alone VCR.

Yes, I had ghosting too. The VCR definitely made it look really good. I would try a standalone VCR unit instead of the combo and see what happens.

#6 Hank Rearden OFFLINE  

Hank Rearden

Chopper Commander

• 142 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:18 AM

I will give it a shot and report back. Just need to find someone that still has a VCR!  :-D

#7 Noah98 OFFLINE  

Noah98

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 549 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:03 PM

I will give it a shot and report back. Just need to find someone that still has a VCR!  :-D

I got mine in a thrift store for a couple bucks. I tried to get a newer one with stereo av inputs.

#8 Noah98 OFFLINE  

Noah98

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 549 posts

Posted Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:29 PM

Anyone know how to amplify the signal? Also, I get a really bright blue line on the left side. It's very prominent in Asteroids. Is that normal for AV modded systems?

#9 Hank Rearden OFFLINE  

Hank Rearden

Chopper Commander

• 142 posts

Posted Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:07 PM

No discernable difference running it through a VCR I picked up today.

Grrrrrrr .....

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users