IGNORED

Connecting to a BBS Without a Phone Line?

Tempest

I'm sure this question has been answered before, but I can't find the right info on this so bear with me. What's the best way to connect to a BBS using an Atari 800 without a phone line? Do I need a modem still or can I use a cable to connect to my PC have it act as the 'modem'? I imagine the solution involves Telnet, but I'm not sure exactly what I all need to give this a try. What software/hardware do I need?

I currently have an Atari 850 interface, an SIO2USB and SIO2PC (serial) devices. I also have a PC with serial ports and an internet connection (Windows 10 and Linux).

You can use a device by Lantronix to connect your 850 to your internet connection. Then use your favorite terminal program to 'dial' a telnet BBS.

https://www.lantronix.com/products/uds-10/

There is some additional info on the Antic Podcast: http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-episode-40-bbsing

Bill

Hmm... I do still have an 850 (thought I traded it away but just found it a few weeks ago), but I'd have to get a UDS-10. If my computer already has a serial port, do I even need the UDS-10 or can I connect the 850 to it directly?

If you have a PC running APE connected to your Atari, you can use the internet modem built into APE to connect.

I've heard of APE a few times now. Is it better than going other routes or just easier?

The Lantronix device has a jack on one side that looks like a Hayes Modem (serial) jack. The other side has an Ethernet (10BaseT) jack to plug in a CAT5 cable from your router. The Lantronix device then lets you use 'modem commands' to 'dial' sites on the internet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LANTRONIX-UDS-10-UDS-10-02-with-AC-Adapter-/292035061798?hash=item43fea56826:g:h5IAAOSwa~BYXFjs

I just looked for mine, but couldn't find it.

Bill

The Atari connects to the 850, the 850 connects to the UDS-10, the UDS-10 connects to your internet router.

The UDS-10 behaves like a Hayes modem, but instead of dialing a number, you dial an IP address. For example ATD 12.34.56.78/90 (the /90 is the port number).

• Like 1

The Atari connects to the 850, the 850 connects to the UDS-10, the UDS-10 connects to your internet router.

The UDS-10 behaves like a Hayes modem, but instead of dialing a number, you dial an IP address. For example ATD 12.34.56.78/90 (the /90 is the port number).

Oh that's neat. What's the Baud rate on it? 300? 1200?

If you want to setup and test a dial up BBS on one computer and test it from another computer without having two phone lines ... or any phone lines for that matter, I have another gadget called a Viking DLE-200B with simulates the telephone system with dial tone an everything.

Its a fun little gadget for testing or exhibiting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Viking-DLE-200B-2-Way-Line-Simulator-Emulator-DLE200B-NEW-/271125729675?hash=item3f205a518b:g:ccMAAOSwa81XRh8T

Bill

The 850's limit is 9600. The Atari can do much faster with other interfaces.

9600 should be fast enough for some good old fashioned BBSing.

Now I need to find a spare power supply and SIO cable for my 850. I guess I'll also need a Lantronix to 850 cable since the 850 has a weird pinout. Anyone sell those?

Does anyone know how well things like the Ooma and Magic Jack fare for this purpose? I remember fax machines having problems with voip. Hopefully there's some baud rate that's useable.

These suck for anything modem in my experience it was poor performance at 1200 baud anything faster won't connect. 300 was slow and laggy.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk