Photo

Connecting to a BBS Without a Phone Line?

123 replies to this topic

#26 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• Topic Starter
  • 26,211 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:48 PM

What's a phone line? :D

You laugh, but we're fast approaching that time. 

#27 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 3,062 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:23 PM

What's a phone line? :D

https://en.wikipedia.../Telephone_line

#28 Bill Lange OFFLINE  

Bill Lange

Dragonstomper

• 827 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:26 PM

Anyone know where I can get a cheap SIO cable?   I refuse to pay $20 on ebay for one.

Best has them for $10, but I think they have a minimum order size.

http://best-electron...8-bit_.htm#SIO2

#29 Brentarian OFFLINE  

Brentarian

Moonsweeper

• 298 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:39 PM

Anyone know where I can get a cheap SIO cable?   I refuse to pay $20 on ebay for one.

$12 brand new, never used Molex SIO cable. Free shipping to US. PM me if interested. I recently found a box with several SIO cables I purchased new from American Technivision in the early nineties.

#30 David_P OFFLINE  

David_P

Dragonstomper

• 812 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:15 PM

In the late 90s, Active Surplus in Toronto had a large box full of them.  (Atari OEM parts, too).  Foolishly, I only bought a few, and they're now out of business...

#31 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 2,354 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:38 PM

might be better to get an mss-100 or some of the later uds- and secure lantronix boxes not much difference in price... but the ease of use with dns and security built in makes it easier to connect with many more options that will last longer into the future....

#32 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• Topic Starter
  • 26,211 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:51 PM

might be better to get an mss-100 or some of the later uds- and secure lantronix boxes not much difference in price... but the ease of use with dns and security built in makes it easier to connect with many more options that will last longer into the future....

Is it the same kind of device? A modem emulator?

#33 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 2,354 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:56 PM

yes same kind of device... same company....  very little is changed... just more responsive... resolves names and handles secure connections.... I traded up because I can no longer locate the firmware hack to add dns to the uds-10 and as a bonus some bbs's I could not reach worked now... seems they were using secure connections...   I was digging thru my pile trying to find one of the older ones I modified to help out kyle but came up short but I found a few of the others I have used over time...

UDS-10

UDS-100

MSS-100

UDS10/100 iap models

UDS2100

and

SDS2101

EDS1100

all of them worked pretty much the same........ minor differences like I mentioned

Edited by _The Doctor__, Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:14 PM.

#34 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 3,062 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:12 PM

@Doc, on the LANTronix:

If you ever come up with info on these two issues:

The big things are (in order of priority [from a BBS standpoint])

1: Some form of BUSY message to inform the caller if this link is just busy, or dead.

2. DNS Resolution.  Would be nice to get working, would help.

It works, but could be better.

:)

#35 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 2,354 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:05 AM

still haven't found what I was looking for but am getting closer... this gives insight into how to serve some web pages.... I was hoping that a person using the browser on their favorite machine would get a web page saying what port the BBS was currently on status etc....

http://ltxfaq.custhe...eb_ServerV4.pdf

getting close... just wish I could find the dang developer post that added the dns in... grrr why is it so hard to find anything anymore....

#36 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 2,354 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:07 AM

the best I ever saw was a busy type message...

dead was not detectable it simply timed out.... you got no response...

#37 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 3,062 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:44 AM

the best I ever saw was a busy type message...

dead was not detectable it simply timed out.... you got no response...

Right, Busy is all we need. The telnet client would provide the error message for a non-existent host.

#38 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 2,354 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:12 AM

http://ltxfaq.custhe...etail/a_id/1336

in one of our conversations there was a worry about bricking a lantronix box this is the warning about just that on the 1100 but directs you to the proper files based on mac address

they are evolution os devices and that sdk is what you would need to hack the dns from a later model to an earlier model.... it's driven me buggy that we can't find it... all I had to do was download the hack from the developers forum and simply sent it using device installer. Never has to do the work myself... parts of the itx forums look to be gone....  it was refered to in a number of ways back then... text to ip etc name to ip or dns very vague and inaccurate postings, one fellow posted the damn thing  and damn it still can't locate the crap...

notice the word permanently..... that's scary talk! why not have the software perform a check and prevent it? because they didn't bother and that's how some devices could be flashed to a different device provided the hardware was the same.... of course... but if you chose poorly,,,  life got very tough very fast.....

Edited by _The Doctor__, Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:22 AM.

#39 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• Topic Starter
  • 26,211 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:47 AM

yes same kind of device... same company....  very little is changed... just more responsive... resolves names and handles secure connections.... I traded up because I can no longer locate the firmware hack to add dns to the uds-10 and as a bonus some bbs's I could not reach worked now... seems they were using secure connections...   

Well I have a $11 bid on an MS-10, we'll see if I win that.  I see MSS-100's for around $30, so I can always upgrade.  

How many BBS's weren't working with the MS-10?  Is it worth the upgrade if I'm only going to play with it casually?  

#40 fujidude OFFLINE  

fujidude

River Patroller

• 4,642 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:50 AM

Thanks Kyle!  It's like info from a past life or something.  Hehe.

#41 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• Topic Starter
  • 26,211 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:29 PM

So I just got outbid on the MS-10 (no big loss).  Is the general consensus that I should go for an MSS-100 instead of the MS-10?  I see one for $30 shipped which seems like a decent deal.

#42 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 2,354 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:27 PM

the mss-100 does have modem emulation and can control the cd dtr etc... it follows the very basic at command set... I don't remember if it does dns but I remember it had some pretty robust support right down to fingering.... so it may have that ability as well..

yep confirmed I was able to connect via hostname to devices in my local network and make a connection using domain name to a telnet bbs.

GO for it! It resolves names

the more I remember and look over things the worse a uds-10 looks...   I see some people have problems with other devices due to not setting terminal type incorrectly ... these are the ones that complain a device hangs or sends weird characters..   just pay attention... and all will be fine..

Edited by _The Doctor__, Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:37 PM.

#43 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• Topic Starter
  • 26,211 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:43 PM

Well I managed to find a MSS-100 here in the junk pile at work (I thought I had seen one a while back) so I'm good.  Now all I need is the modem cable, an SIO cable, and I'm all set.  The bonus is that I can use this on my TI-99, Apple II, and C128 (although I need to get an RS-232 adapter for it).  Of course I'm not exactly sure what the point of dialing into BBSs is anymore since I doubt there's much going on on them, but it will be fun.  Why not?

#44 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 2,354 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:49 PM

I still wish to put a technical exchange BBS online.... I did find the old phone numbers that we used and that should allow me to get my software again if anyone can code a node still....but that another story....

a forum is pretty much a bbs..... though all the important info should be put into searchable faq form...but that's just me...

#45 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• Topic Starter
  • 26,211 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:56 PM

What kind of cable do I want going from the MSS-100 to the computer?  Serial or Null Modem?

#46 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 2,354 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:07 PM

I think it's a null modem serial cable.... I don't remember exactly, I made the cord so many years ago... it just sounds right.... pretty certain... I made it to go from the mio to the itx box... remember you'll need to wire it up based on what your using MIO, Black Box, 850, or P:R:  etc....

Glad you found an MSS-100 I really liked them... the uds-10 seamed like a step down to me and is why I used to use hacked firmware on them.... I only use 10's to receive calls or or on final destination devices.... I used the others to make calls and connect with terminals, and other machines.

uds1100 straight thru serial or modem cable

uds2100 null modem cables

Simple PC to MSS100 or other DTE DB25:NULL MODEM

To connect a PC's DB9M to a DB25M DTE device like the MSS100 use a Null Modem cable:

DB9P            DB-9F(female)                    DB-25F(female)
MIO/PR850 4 RXD pc 2<---------------------------<2  TXD
MIO/PR850 3 TXD pc 3>--------------------------->3  RXD
MIO/PR850 1 DTR pc 4>--------------------------->6  DSR
MIO/PR850 5 GND pc 5-----------------------------7  GND
MIO/PR850 6 DSR pc 6<---------------------------<20 DTR
MIO/PR850 7 RTS pc 7>--------------------------->5  CTS
MIO/PR850 8 CTS pc 8<---------------------------<4  RTS

be very aware to substitute the pinout that corresponds to those signals on the Atari side as the PC

this is just to get you started other useful signals like carrier detect etc.. should be added for devices that require them

you can buy pre made Atari null modem cable btw.... I always bought or made them as a pair though... Atari null modem and Atari straight modem from BEST etc.. a quick swap of the cable and all was good to go...

Edited by _The Doctor__, Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:04 PM.

#47 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• Topic Starter
  • 26,211 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:09 PM

I think it's a null modem serial cable.... I don't remember exactly, I made the cord so many years ago... it just sounds right.... pretty certain... I made it to go from the mio to the itx box...

The reason I ask is that I can just buy the Atari one, but if I want to use it with my other systems I need to know if it's null modem or something else.

#48 fujidude OFFLINE  

fujidude

River Patroller

• 4,642 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:35 PM

The reason I ask is that I can just buy the Atari one, but if I want to use it with my other systems I need to know if it's null modem or something else.

Shouldn't be null modem.  "Null modem" cables are for connecting DTE to DTE.  DTE = Data Terminal Equipment (which is PC, Atari, etc.)  A regular "modem" cable is for connecting DTE and DCE, DCE = Data Communications Equipment (modems, MS100, etc.).  Be aware though, that the Atari SIO bus is not compatible with the RS232© signaling involved here.  You need a RS232© based interface for your Atari like the 850, PR Connection, MIO, Blackbox etc. (or a modern substitute).

BTW, null modem cables cross SND & RCV, DTR & RTS (and myabe more that I've forgetting).

#49 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• Topic Starter
  • 26,211 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:52 PM

So for a TI99 or Apple II I'd need a regular Serial cable then?

#50 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 2,354 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:59 PM

standard phone line modems

ATARI MODEM Cable Connections Straight

DB25P           DB9P

20                  1 dtr

8                   2 crx

2                   3 xmt

3                   4 rcv

7                   5 gnd

6                   6 dsr

4                   7 rts

5                   8 cts

Edited by _The Doctor__, Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:07 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users