IGNORED

Switch loading times tested: MicroSD vs carts and internal storage

JamesD

Kind of sad but I guess expected a retail card would go slower to keep costs down so developers can earn more coin per purchase. Im surprised they mostly just messed with sandisk. Memory card ratings a year back on what they used specifcally and others showed the Samsung Evo Plus 64 and 128GB cards to be faster than Sandisk. Its the maker Ill go with when the time comes.

It still says a lot really just how short these load times really are given the mediums involved and not being on a disc with some fat installs to cover up a good bit of it so Nintendo gets some credit there.

The one thing I think is disappointing is that you can't transfer games between internal and external storage, you have to re-download them.
It makes it inconvenient to swap things around just for the sake of a few seconds, so you'll probably use external storage most of the time.
Put some faves internal and leave them.

It's the one thing I don't like about modern consoles - the loading times. My eldest has the 1Tb Elite Xbone and even its hybrid hard drive seems bonkers fast compared to the crappy drive that comes with the standard units. Okay, it isn't but the loading times are noticeably faster.

The thing is that even Xbone games seem to max out at no more than 9Gb, while most are much smaller. That's smaller than most memory cards that people use in their phones. So Nintendo have the right idea by going the cartridge route.

Haven't got one yet but decided to get one later in the year once a few bills have been paid.