IGNORED

Jaguar Rocks!

ZylonBane

Back in the year 2000, having entirely too much free time, I decided I was going to create the definitive, all-encompassing archive of Atari Jaguar game music—the Jaguar Rocks project—to include every song from every Jaguar game ever. So I hooked my Jag up to my PC and for months recorded everything I could lay my hands on. I did noise reduction to get rid of line hiss, made sure short bits of looping music repeated a few times and faded out cleanly, manually edited out pops and clicks in the original music, and cursed the games that didn't have built-in music tests. I tracked down original MODs where I could, and managed to get some from the original authors. Will Davis in particular donated about a dozen unused tracks from various Jag games he worked on.

On the down side, I originally had the notion that all this music would fit on a single data CD, so the MP3 bitrates I used were anemic even for back then-- mostly 64kbps for mono tracks and 128kbps for stereo. Fortunately, the synthy nature of most Jag game music meant it compressed very well, so the quality doesn't seem to have been noticeably impacted. This is good, because hard drives were so small back then that I couldn't keep any of the raw captures.

Anyway, you may have realized by now that no such project was ever released.

I got burned out on it, my primary fandom moved on to PC gaming, and the project went on indefinite hold. The closest it ever came to public release was a "0.8" version given away as a door prize at JagFest 2001. I figured I'd always get back to it eventually, but now that this project is old enough to drink, I'd best accept reality and just put the damn thing out there. No frills.

So here you go. Enjoy!

http://clayh.net/jagrocks/

post-2663-0-58855800-1489729562_thumb.jpg

• Like 14