Photo

Anyone else collect these?

11 replies to this topic

#1 mojoatomic OFFLINE  

mojoatomic

Chopper Commander

• 185 posts

Posted Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:00 PM

Lost track of how many I have now... but this is one of the nicer ones. I like the other all caps version as well, and have a few. No idea why I like them so much... but really, is a reason required? :-) 

79FFFB77-04CB-4C55-A2ED-FE52BFDDF105_zps1BBC0C9D-EA3E-4850-9A52-9C7185F1A96F_zps

#2 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 14,317 posts

Posted Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:02 PM

I got sucked into collecting label variants for a while, but I'm all better now. :lol:

#3 mojoatomic OFFLINE  

mojoatomic

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 185 posts

Posted Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:03 PM

Yeah, it's weird I guess. Don't know if I better yet or not...

#4 doctorclu OFFLINE  

doctorclu

******Blue Max****** *****Class 4***** **Moon Master**

• 7,135 posts
  • Captain - Class 2

Posted Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:33 PM

I had fun collecting the blue label Imagic games for a bit.  On the Atari 800 I thought it was cool when I found a "Star Raider" (instead of "Star Raiders") cart.

I totally love collecting the early 2600 carts with the border around them and the early Telegames carts that look kinda similar.

I also collect, as often as I can afford it, every Bubsy box variant I can find from places around the world.

#5 Hank Rearden OFFLINE  

Hank Rearden

Chopper Commander

• 142 posts

Posted Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:11 PM

I've never been a fan of variants in any hobby. Although at least in the case of Atari games, I really don't think it was done intentionally like it is for comic books.

But I have a soft spot for Raiders of the Lost Ark as it was one of the first games I ever solved! I don't remember if it was before or after my perfect score in Pitfall.  :D After all, it was over 30 years ago!!

#6 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Launch Edition

• 6,009 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:42 PM

I like collecting label variants, but only for Atari/Sears carts. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

#7 moycon OFFLINE  

moycon

Quadrunner

• 21,946 posts
  • moycon?? What the hell is that??

Posted Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:51 PM

Great Thanks Sharing

#8 doctorclu OFFLINE  

doctorclu

******Blue Max****** *****Class 4***** **Moon Master**

• 7,135 posts
  • Captain - Class 2

Posted Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:59 PM

I like collecting label variants, but only for Atari/Sears carts. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

I like the classy woodgrain and simple letter format of the early days.  And like you, I have to contain the collection to a narrow group or style so why I also collect the very early look only.

#9 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Launch Edition

• 6,009 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:14 AM

I like the classy woodgrain and simple letter format of the early days.  And like you, I have to contain the collection to a narrow group or style so why I also collect the very early look only.

The text labels are my favorite overall. But I have all of them (except for literally one or two), so now I'm into Atari Corp. carts, such as "Raiders Lost Ark" above. :-D

I've noticed a lot of peoples' collecting paths seem to be taking similar routes. Other collectors are specifically looking for Atari Corp. carts now after those used to be a sideshow in the 2600 world that nobody really paid attention to--they weren't "original" (being old games reissued past the 2600's prime--the 1981 copyright dates resonate more than the 1986-88 ones) and they had cheap, uninteresting, and often dull grayscale packaging and poor quality control re: the labels. Now as the serious collectors have hit walls with everything else, they are going after Atari Corp. carts.

But yeah, if I were to try to collect every variant of Activision and Imagic carts, and get all the U.S. Games and Telesys in both standard and bezel carts, and other stuff like that, it would just be too much. (Although I did do that for a while in my earlier collecting days, and consequently I have quite a few of those variants, but I don't hunt them down anymore.)

#10 FOX2600 OFFLINE  

FOX2600

Chopper Commander

• 132 posts

Posted Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:46 PM

I got sucked into collecting label variants for a while, but I'm all better now. :lol:

LOL, yeah to me I'd rather just pick what variant I like best for that certain game.

No variants for my beloved 20th Century Fox games, so I'm content lol

#11 Schizophretard OFFLINE  

Schizophretard

River Patroller

• 4,704 posts

Posted Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:29 AM

I got sucked into collecting label variants for a while, but I'm all better now. icon_lol.gif

Because of the Harmony Cart, collecting things like label variations are the only reasons for me to collect at all since I have other means to play. Second to that I like the manuals and catalogs. After that would be boxes but haven't got into them that much since cardboard makes it hard to find in good condition, the space, probably be OCD about their variations too, etc. However, if I did get into them I would probably start with going for the red box games that say they are for both the 2600 and 7800 to go with my mostly complete boxed 7800 collection that I would probably count as part of that and/or part of an Atari 2600 Junior collection.

#12 FOX2600 OFFLINE  

FOX2600

Chopper Commander

• 132 posts

Posted Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:37 PM

the red box games that say they are for both the 2600 and 7800 to go with my mostly complete boxed 7800 collection that I would probably count as part of that and/or part of an Atari 2600 Junior collection.

That's a good idea. I love those Red Boxes :-D

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users