IGNORED

So you are going to announce a new retro system?

Newsdee

Your new project is offering

( ) a PC-based ( ) an ARM-based ( ) an FPGA-based ( ) a custom hardware

approach to playing retro games. Your idea will not work. Here is why it won't work.
(One or more of the following may apply to your particular idea)

( ) It is not compatible with original hardware, either cartridges, controllers, lightguns, and/or CRT monitors

( ) Setting up is going to be complicated for regular users, nobody wants to fiddle with an SD card

( ) It's yet another Raspberry Pi (or similar) in a box, and the market is already crowded by other almost identical devices

( ) It will not work very well with modern displays, either from lack of HDMI, 1080p, or 4K support, causing lag and upscaling problems

( ) The game selection is weak and it won't be possible to license some of the best ones

( ) There are no specs and the console is running on handwavium fueled by dreams

Specifically, your plan fails to account for
( ) the hardware going to be too expensive when the market is flooded with 8-bit emulation boxes

( ) PC-based emulation being mature and freely available, with most users happy with what they have
( ) hardware being too weak to provide a good experience compared to the original machines

( ) some of the best games for the system(s) not being available due to licensing

And the following philosophical objections may also apply:
( ) the project team does not have a hardware expert or no prior experience successfully producing hardware
( ) crowdfunding the creation of a prototype means you have nothing

( ) the box is only attractive as a super pirate console and using GPL in commercial projects without contributing back feels like being a leech

( ) composite video is a crappy format, this is the 21st century

Furthermore, this is what I think about you:
( ) Sorry dude, but I don't think it would work.
( ) This is a stupid idea, and only stupid people will buy into it.
( ) Nice try for a cash grab! Now go back to capture cards inside a Jaguar shell.

• Like 3

The glut of silly retro gaming systems doesn't bother me, at least not often. I've seen a lot of cool ideas and projects that inspire me with my own projects.

Yes, some of the prices are ridiculous. Even more of a laugh is how everyone with access to a 3D printer seems to think they can mass manufacture a product.

But for all of the noise, there are a few really cool projects like the StarForce Pi. That's one I would love to see funded, even if it is "just another RPi in a case."

Hee hee! Needless to say, the concept of a "new retro" thing is an oxymoron.

I think this juxtaposition of old vs new, can't-please-everyone kinda says it all ...

( ) It is not compatible with original hardware, either cartridges, controllers, lightguns, and/or CRT monitors

( ) It will not work very well with modern displays, either from lack of HDMI, 1080p, or 4K support, causing lag and upscaling problems

Some people want old stuff and turn up their noses at anything that's new. Cartridges forever.

Other people would like modern conveniences like compatibility with their TV/monitor, wireless controllers, and pir8 support.

Half the people are stoned / And the other half are waiting for the next election. / Half the people are drowned / And the other half are swimming in the wrong direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0aNxzF7MAk