IGNORED

Macintosh Plus 1MB

Since I pulled it back out to check on it, I wonder what all I can play on my Macintosh Plus 1MB? I got this boxed system years back and due to the lack of software, haven't done anything with it besides make sure it's still alive. It is a straight 1 Meg system with an extra, external disk drive and the system diskettes that came with it. There are diskettes and a reference manual for a Hypercard, but that's about all I know about it. Would really like to do a little more with it since it works so well. Cracking open a Mac is not for me (done it before on Mac Classics that always seem to die), so want to just keep it as is.

Odds are that Mac Plus can only read 400/800k DD disks, not 1.4MB HD disks. Transferring files aren't going to be easy, Windows never handled Mac format at all and older Mac disk drive cannot read PC formatted disk. I think the easiest way at this point is to look for SCSI2SD, copy files from internet to an SD card (something small like 256MB, early System didn't have large disk size support) and then run files off the SD card.

There are some good B&W games for Mac Plus. The one I spent a lot of my time are Dark Castle. :D

Personally I prefer color Mac and have a Quadra 800 for classic games. I also have a Pismo that I can go online, download games, use SCSI cable to mount Pismo like an external hard drive for my Quadra 800 to transfer games. A lot of games I like don't work on PPC CPU, only older 68k CPU.

yea you will want something with a file transfer like xmodem zmodem or the like, an old school bbs modem type software, I use minicom on my linux box, or terraterm when in windows, on the mac side zterm, works great

id offer to make you a disk, but neither of my 2 mac's have a working floppy drive =(

you would also want a copy of disk copy, that way you can download img files and mount them as real drives on the mac

dunno its just a thought, you might be able to find a network adapter for it, but you still need software to get that setup and I think mac tcp requires system 7

Edited by Osgeld

Thanks for the advice thus far. Right now, it also points out why I sort of lost my love for classic Macs so fast. When you think about it, most of our 80's computers are usually found with at least some software if found in the wild. Macs are the total b****es when it comes to that. 90% of them around here ended up in schools and it seems the schools disposed of the software before selling off the computers later on. Basically, unless you have one with a still living hard drive, the Mac ends up being a neat looking, basically useless paper weight. Basically, with the ways things sound, it would be easier for me to just keep looking for IIgs! Apple II sweetness with a 16 bit kick!

• Like 1