IGNORED

RS232 Flash Disk

Meddler

Hi all, I found this and wondered if anyone has any experience with using it?

I do not have PEB or Drives but I do have RS232 so would this be any good as mass storage i.e programmes etc.?

"A portable, compact and high performance USB Flash Disk W/R controller with aluminum alloy housing. With RS232 port provided, you can easily do operations to USB flash disks, such as view USB flash disk’s information, write to or read files, delete folders, modify the directory, etc., by writing commands on PC via UART communication software. Set by corresponding commands, this controller can also be used as a data logger for logging data at a specified period in many applications, such as weather station recording, soil moisture level recording and so on."

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UART-Flash-Disk-W-R-Controller-RS232-TTL-GPS-DATA-LOG-MCU-Master-Multifunction-/231183763072?hash=item35d3a04680:g:SloAAOxyoVZTKPT8

• Like 1

Cool device! Looks like it it controlled using AT commands which I assume will be detailed in the manual. Should be easy to connect to it via any terminal program on the TI. I am intrigued by the data logging possibility for my wireless weather station project as I could have that device connected to the 2nd RS232 port and use RXB to save the data to it. My initial thought for data logging was using the AMS card since RXB supports it directly, but this would be more practical as I could easily transfer the files to my PC for further processing. Very tempting...

Edit: I bought it. It's free economy shipping to the US from England and under $30. Should make for some interesting experimentation.

• Like 3

Cool device! ...

Edit: I bought it. It's free economy shipping to the US from England and under $30. Should make for some interesting experimentation.

:D Suckered! Thanks, I look forward to hearing your assessment; my question is going to be answered in full! I tried to find some detail but it would appear that it is no longer supported as the company has diverged it's product line. At the price, I too was tempted but I am still awaiting another gizmo from China before I decide.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Cool device! Looks like it it controlled using AT commands which I assume will be detailed in the manual. Should be easy to connect to it via any terminal program on the TI. I am intrigued by the data logging possibility for my wireless weather station project as I could have that device connected to the 2nd RS232 port and use RXB to save the data to it. My initial thought for data logging was using the AMS card since RXB supports it directly, but this would be more practical as I could easily transfer the files to my PC for further processing. Very tempting...

Yes, let us know if the manual is good and has the needed information to use this device. I would like to try one too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

... Very tempting...

I went ahead and bought two of these, looks like it could be good project material.

Hey guys leave one for me!

Did you find any detail or just whistling? Oh! I didn't see this before:

http://sure-electronics.net/download/DB-DP11118_Ver1.1_EN.pdf

Edited by Meddler

Hey guys leave one for me!

Did you find any detail or just whistling? Oh! I didn't see this before:

http://sure-electronics.net/download/DB-DP11118_Ver1.1_EN.pdf

Well it uses the PIC24FJ256GA110 family chip by Microchip, and looks programmable, so I thought I could use it with the TI99 aand Geneve and maybe experiment with the programmability.

post-41593-0-95555200-1491315409_thumb.jpg

post-41593-0-55507100-1491315412_thumb.jpg

post-41593-0-49862100-1491315413_thumb.jpg

post-41593-0-53819000-1491315414_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well it uses the PIC24FJ256GA110 family chip by Microchip, and looks programmable, so I thought I could use it with the TI99 aand Geneve and maybe experiment with the programmability.

In section 1.2 Features, It states that it supports FAT12, FAT16, FAT32 management system

You are a star! That was quick delivery!?

I have been reading the support docs. while you posted this and whilst it does what it says, it is a bit verbose in it's responses.

I do not know what the sample software is for and assume that any attempt to read the PIC will clear protected memory; maybe the company will explain?

If you are going to have a go then I might be able to assist but for my purposes I need it to respond like a TI99A for storing programmes.

Good luck.

Well I think the process here, is to take a formated usb device and plug it in. Then files can be read and written to it and it does the translation internally, I believe it has potential as a deep storage device for at least the Geneve, but also the TI too. I believe software can be written to take advantage of the device, beside a terminal emulator. Maybe a HDX system could be utilized?

Edited by RickyDean
  • Like 1

My device just reached the US and is still on its way for delivery... Looking forward to playing with it. I should be able to send the appropriate string commands from within RXB to save and load files for data logging purposes. RXB has the super versatile CALL IO command which should be able to provide the needed functionality. Essentially send the data logging command, send the current data to be logged and terminate the process. Lots of options here...

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

My device just reached the US and is still on its way for delivery... Looking forward to playing with it. I should be able to send the appropriate string commands from within RXB to save and load files for data logging purposes. RXB has the super versatile CALL IO command which should be able to provide the needed functionality. Essentially send the data logging command, send the current data to be logged and terminate the process. Lots of options here...

Hi, did you get side-tracked, maybe ;) Any up-date on this?

How did this thing work out? I bought an MP3 recorder/player for starters.

• Like 1

Hi, did you get side-tracked, maybe ;) Any up-date on this?

How did this thing work out? I bought an MP3 recorder/player for starters.

Still in the box I'm afraid... My initial use for it was as a logger for my TI wireless weather station, and eventually I decided to not included that feature in the final product.

I actually totally forgot about it! I'll have to pull it out as I think it has a lot of potential uses.

• Like 3

Still in the box I'm afraid... My initial use for it was as a logger for my TI wireless weather station, and eventually I decided to not included that feature in the final product.

I actually totally forgot about it! I'll have to pull it out as I think it has a lot of potential uses.

Me too, I've been so busy doing other things, haven't had time to try this.