IGNORED

AT Games Intellivision Flashback 2 coming this fall..........

I want an intellivision FB2 badly. You get sick of all the other Ataris after awhile theres so many of them and every year not much changes in games. Colecovision and Intellivison 2's should release simultaneously again. Why? Because the first intv is highly regarded, that can release again, same design and quality, same games, fix Tower of doom. Add some 3rd party like Dracula, fathom, masters of the universe, demon attack. Thats something idlook forward to.

Colecovision needs complete overhaul. First in design, the first looked nothing like a miniaturized colecovision it was a coleco themed box. That cheap sticker was BS. Need the high quality silver plate running across the front, and a cart slot would be great. In fact I think it's time to drop all closed console designs. Atari fb's should accept carts now. Both should come with 100 games as standard. Though that may be a tad difficult. Genesis should be left alone until you can pull off one for real. No bs.

There are plenty of people who "care" on the AtGames side, including me, but again, it's a complex process. You can care all you want, but if the resources aren't there, one thing or another simply can't be addressed. Again, these are low-priced, mass market toys, and delivery needs to happen within a very specific window and at a very specific cost under very specific requirements set by retailers. With that said, we are definitely building off the 2017 momentum and the 2018 products are looking really great. I'm particularly excited about the emulation and added features. I think a LOT of people will be surprised. Time will tell, of course. It's put up or shut up.

In terms of an Intellivision Flashback 2, we actually made great progress in getting some of the "missing" third party games. Likely you'll see the fruits of that in our other products in 2018 before an Intellivision Flashback 2, however.

As for the ColecoVision replacement systems, I'm definitely looking forward to it. I definitely want the one that does ColecoVision, Atari 2600, MSX, etc., particularly since the 99% of my collection I got rid of included all of those systems.

• Like 1

I want an intellivision FB2 badly. You get sick of all the other Ataris after awhile theres so many of them and every year not much changes in games. Colecovision and Intellivison 2's should release simultaneously again. Why? Because the first intv is highly regarded, that can release again, same design and quality, same games, fix Tower of doom. Add some 3rd party like Dracula, fathom, masters of the universe, demon attack. Thats something idlook forward to.

Colecovision needs complete overhaul. First in design, the first looked nothing like a miniaturized colecovision it was a coleco themed box. That cheap sticker was BS. Need the high quality silver plate running across the front, and a cart slot would be great. In fact I think it's time to drop all closed console designs. Atari fb's should accept carts now. Both should come with 100 games as standard. Though that may be a tad difficult. Genesis should be left alone until you can pull off one for real. No bs.

Have you investigated the Intellivision Ultimate Flashback(thread and links in the Intellivision forum)? Either build your own with a used Flashback and some easy to find parts or buy one outright if money is no concern. It meets all your Intellivision criteria now...except cart slot.
  • Like 2

So I got the Genesis. It is improved over the first one which was utter dog shit. But not by much. Frame rate issues on some games is ridiculous but what ever I guess. I just have some major complaints that need to be addressed if Sega lets you make another one. First. These 28 f#@$ing bullshit games need to disappear. They have no place on this system. Get rid of them. Warehouse keeper, mr balls, jack's pea? What loser decided this would be ok? Considering the actual number of games doubles the amount available on Snes classic, these 28 bloatware pieces of shit need to be eradicated.

Why was the High Definition Graphics removed from the console above genesis logo when it actually has high definition graphics? If you are going to be true to the original, put that shit on. Especially if it's true.

Why is your logo even anywhere on the console? It's not on any of the other flashbacks, it makes this one look gay. I will be rubbing it off.

Most people have 3 button controllers. Which means Im stuck with shitty ass controllers because only the official 6 button works. Which i dont own. It oddly enough worked on the last one, but not on the premium console?

Sound, ihave to commend you on this. Drastic improvement over the last.

Carts do not load instantly, i have to wait 30-60 seconds to load my carts? This wasnt an issue with the last one, again, Why is it with the new premium console.

Be careful what new upgrades go into these things, because its not worth it if functionality tht was once there is gone now because of it. Carts dont load. Fix that. It should accept ALL controllers. Genesis had blast processing, you better find a way to come up with your own version of it, its breaking games that rely heavily on it. Menus dont need to be stupidly unintuitive. Using buttons to navigate is retarded. Use directional pad, atari flashback menu operates like a normal one so this one doesnt need to be a giant stupid mess. This is why I worry about your improvements, your genesis has improved but its a slow piece of shit, seems slower than the last one. Sometimes your improvements tend to move backwards. Shit doesnt need to be complicated. Simplify it. I still kind of like it though considering there isnt any other one to compare it to as a FB.

And for the love of god, golden axe wasnt the only brawler you know. There were 3 streets of rage games that in my oppinion were better. But knowing you guys, you would include only SOR 1&2 forgetting 3 and then only having Golden axe 1 or none of them. All 6 games needed.

All in all. Its just ok. Slightly shit. Will not feel bad when I gut it and turn it into something better. The actual console itself and how it looks is honestly thebest feature. Its big and bulky. And the first step to making consoles that feel like real consoles and not sweat shop toys.

It's time. I hope you're right about the future. Because fixing shit like this is the future. Increase price point by 10 bucks per unit if need be. Those genesis consoles literally flew off every wall around me here at bb&b, walmart and giant tiger.$10 dollars for drastic improvment isnt anything that will stop people from buying these year in, year out.

I actually like the Atari Flashback controllers. I think the looser stick is more accommodating to modern tastes than the stiffer originals. The latter can be especially hard for kids these days to use. We were fine with it of course because that's what we grew up with.

• Like 2

And you did fix the controllers. Kind of, I can move around now. Thats pretty cool, the controller itself feels like crap still. This should be fixed in next iteration if there is one. Once Genesis has been mastered, I say Turbo Grafx 16 needs a Flashback.

Edited by sn8k
  • Like 1

Geez, "snk8", it's probably time to do away with your use of some of those distasteful terms you pepper your comments with. Several of those terms went out for good reason a long time ago.

Anyway, a lot of what you're asking for is already being addressed for 2018 (and the three button controller should work just fine on your model). Thanks.

• Like 5

Next Atari needs cart port, and not one with a death grip. Clones tend to ruin games because they refuse to let go.

No cartridge port for Atari systems. Also, no chance of a Turbo-Grafx/16 from AtGames. It simply wasn't popular enough in the US and doesn't have enough high profile games to license.

Anyway, a lot of what you're asking for is already being addressed for 2018 (and the three button controller should work just fine on your model). Thanks.

I am definitely looking forward to the 2018 lineup. 2017 was a big (and nice) step in the right direction. Can't wait to see what the future holds. It should be great, especially when you see how far the FB line has come since the very first one and/or the Atari FB3 even.

Still doesn't change the fact that none of them including these new ones and the ones coming in 2018, 2019 still won't compare to Flashback 2, that is a fact. That's the issue I have. It's come along way from what? It was gold in 2004 and the current product doesnt match up in 2017 and definitly won't be in 2018 if things will be "just as exciting". You all might like shit but I tend to accept nothing but the best. I don't care where you're at as a company, if you cant recreate something from 14 years ago based on something thats 40 years old, you shouldn't f#@$ing be here. Period. Everyone in this thread so far is acting like I'm too harsh. But all have agreed they need to step up. And not a single person has stepped up to say I'm wrong. Just to understand their situation. Understand this, this tech is ancient. I don't care who you are big or small if you can't afford to make it today. You probably shouldn't be the one to carry a legendary name like Atari.

We haven't come a long way from anything. We've fallen far from the bench mark and are slowly and primitivly crawling back and still nowhere near what it once was. Atgames is a joke. I will say that as many times as necessary. I regret selling my FB2, if I had known these clowns were taking over then, I would have held on for dear life and modded a cart slot into it.

I am definitely looking forward to the 2018 lineup. 2017 was a big (and nice) step in the right direction. Can't wait to see what the future holds. It should be great, especially when you see how far the FB line has come since the very first one and/or the Atari FB3 even.

• Like 1

I regret selling my FB2, if I had known these clowns were taking over then, I would have held on for dear life and modded a cart slot into it.

That still has problems and wouldn't let you play Pitfall 2 or any of these newer homebrews that are pushing the limits.

I have two just in case my Jr wore out but since then I acquired two more 2600 systems making that a mute point.

Everyone in this thread so far is acting like I'm too harsh. But all have agreed they need to step up. And not a single person has stepped up to say I'm wrong.

I think you are wrong in the sense you expect these to be comparable to a regular system. They would not sell well over a certain price point. I'm at a house playing video games with people and asked them what a ColecoVision was. None of them knew what it was. An expensive CV flashback would fail regardless of good or bad quality. The Genesis would have a shot but if the price goes up much more than it is now I doubt it would have flown off the shelf as fast.

Here's a genesis that is $50 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F142559903990

Not as cheap but here is a colecovision https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F322994871859

And a $50 atari 2600 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F162791566478

• Like 2

And not a single person has stepped up to say I'm wrong.

That's because you're ranting like a fool, and cursing like a sailor. No one wants to get down into the mud with you. That doesn't mean you're right.

You have no concept of how difficult it is to make a mass-market, mass-produced product at an enticing price. How do I know this? Because you've spilled many words full of childish demands and foulmouthed insults, but you have yet to construct a persuasive argument.

Bill is a saint for engaging with you at all. I think you should piss off.

• Like 11

You can buy a Genesis, NES and SNES in 2018. New consoles.

I think you are wrong in the sense you expect these to be comparable to a regular system. They would not sell well over a certain price point. I'm at a house playing video games with people and asked them what a ColecoVision was. None of them knew what it was. An expensive CV flashback would fail regardless of good or bad quality. The Genesis would have a shot but if the price goes up much more than it is now I doubt it would have flown off the shelf as fast.

Here's a genesis that is $50 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F142559903990

Not as cheap but here is a colecovision https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F322994871859

And a $50 atari 2600 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F162791566478

In the future, please don't hold back and tell me how you really feel. Just a note that the wired controllers haven't really changed since the Flashback 3. The Flashback 2 and 1 were done by a different company.

Look, I completely understand there have been many missteps over the years, but these products are at least good enough for the target mass market audience since they keep on buying them. And there have been notable improvements over the past few years, with another notable leap in form and functionality coming for 2018. While I can understand how from the outside it's like "why can't they get it perfect already?", it's really not that straightforward. I don't expect anyone from the outside to understand some of the factors at play here (I certainly couldn't until I started working with them), but they are genuinely trying to constantly improve within obvious financial considerations. Eventually, since they'll continue to keep at it, they may even win over people such as yourself.

Bill, first off, happy new year! Second, I'm really glad you replied to this rant. Unfortunately I feel much the same way as that poster. Rather than rant at this point, I just vote with my dollars. I would have LOVED to buy each and every of these Flashback systems, but haven't for many reasons (much of which I've listed over the years). I do have the FB 2 and love it. I wanted the Colecovision, and was *this close to buying the recent 8 (although I couldn't find the Activision black version other than online at a price I wasn't willing to pay). I only found out the other day that apparently plug in paddles don't work with Kaboom? ...I really do hope I'm wrong on that one, but I don't think I am unless some investigative threads are misleading me.

I know it's not your fault and it's not like we're privy to the things you are, but you ARE one of us, Bill. Maybe that's why I get so, shall I say, 'passionate' :D about when I talk about the things I see going wrong in the retrogaming genre (a niche genre, granted, but a legit genre). And from where I stand, I realize you are under the employ of At Games and, as a responsible person, go on about issues that you most likely AGREE with us about: lag, frame rates, controller issues, etc.

My biggest gripe is that these systems are seen as 100% impulse buys by At Games (AG, from here out). Now I don't know this, but all signs point to it. These systems are seen as nothing different than those cheap ass 'mini arcade' things that you see at Walmart and elsewhere, something that they hope the consumer (not US, but Joe Consumer) sees and buys as a nostalgia hit. Then in a month its in the closet, the world turns. That is the problem.

I just saw three Sega Flashbacks at Walmart, about 100 CDN each. They've been there a while. I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. The Classic SNES however has been sold out here for quite some time, slightly higher price point (we know the reasons why), and while I don't mean to compare them, really? I should! The Genesis was HUGE...and that these systems have the issues they do just makes me sad. Literally :D ..at the lost opportunity to expand retrogaming. I realize that's not AG's aim....if it were, we'd see a lot more improvement than we have.

You mention the parameters and reasons why these systems aren't where they should be, not directly, but we can all tell: MONEY. AG is trying, but the company just seems to be putting out the absolute cheapest product possible...and every so often a 'new' version comes out, which again plays into their long term plan of just milking the nostalgia market. I realize I am not the target demographic of theirs...but let me ask, when then can Nintendo manufacture something so very close to what a system like this NEEDS to be in order to be valued? Are AG really that incapable of coming up with a piece of equipment that can do that? If the answer is no, then again, that's sad. Sad, because if they did (and even charged a bit more for it), I would have supported and bought every version of every system they make. And most of us retrogamers who value quality (not ultra quality, mind you, but something that gets it all right: controllers, emulation, reliability) would probably do the same thing.

Of course I'll keep an eye out for future developments, but who do they expect will come back to try their products later, after having so many sub par experiences? Again, I must keep answering my own questions because I realize these items are clearly NOT marketed towards retrogamers who expect 'something' from their new hardware. I'm not asking too much, I believe: essentially, something that equals my original equipment that uses multicart ROMS, but can be played on an HDMI TV. Throw some ports on there so I can plug in original old school controllers, because then I can still buy your product even though the pack in controllers are subpar. That's it, that's all. It hasn't happened yet, and until it does, these dollars are staying in these pockets.

The biggest disappointment is that I see how awesome it COULD be, if there were only companies out there who really took this a bit more seriously. I mean, the FB 2.0 was incredible, it really was. Is it really that much of a task to clone that tech to be used on an HDMI tv? I don't want wireless controllers or other gimmicks that don't work as promised. It's like they're saying, "Here it is, it's pretty good, buy it" rather than "LOOK at this, YOU are going to LOVE IT".

Are the profit margins really that slim that they have to go so cheap on these things that there is no other way to do it? They have Activision titles, for crying out loud, so you know they have some money to spend on the R&D side. It's frustrating. And keeps me tethered to my OG setup, rather than on my HDMI tv (with my Nintendo Classic machines, which, of course, aren't perfect either, but are the LEAST that I would accept in terms of quality).

Anyways, thanks for doing what you do and I hope that someday, SOMEday they'll finally get it together.

• Like 1

I see what you're saying: people don't know (possibly don't care, the majority) was a CV is, so why would they engineer it to a higher price point, only to make the games play more like the way you remembered them? The odd thing is that the only people I know who own these newer FB systems (and granted, there aren't many) are usually retrogamers like me. They're not bought by guys who remembered the CV (for instance) from grade school, and they sure as hell aren't buying them for their kids.

The attitude that "no matter how well the games are presented, these systems would still not sell big, so let's just make it cheap and price it as high as the market will bear" is a recipe that will push more people away from the product....I certainly hope At Games doesn't think this way. The Genesis FB isn't flying off the shelves, even at this, the upper price point. It's sitting there, because guys like me aren't buying them because we all go online, read and see the thing play on youtube. We're not going to drop 100 bux on it given the issues it has...well, at least I'm not. Do they need to be priced at 150 to get them to Nintendo Classic quality? I guess so. All that's happening is much like those Jakks Pacific Plug n Plays from a decade ago: their quality was always kinda sketchy at best, and just went for the steady sale rather than sell something that really got the job done (exactly what Nintendo is doing with their mini systems).

• Like 1

You can buy a Genesis, NES and SNES in 2018. New consoles.

But what about compatability? Can they play games like Virtua Racing, Castlevania III, or Star Fox? If so how many years of "sub par" clones didn't have those and kept pumping them out?

Heck can any of them play those games without issues? And if you have such a hard on for the Genesis go buy one of those new ones. Why you are doing all this ranting if AtGames version is so terrible and you could just buy one that's awesome from somewhere else?

They aren't a big company like Nintendo and aren't stealing Stella code like the Retron 77 probably is going to.

Im not arguing with you over this anymore. The problem has nothing to do with me and everything to do with them. I own the originals, I dont have to buy anything at this point. Atgames is f##$#ing shit and that's that. Nothing else to say on them. You want to defend mediocrity, go right ahead, nothing you say will change how much they suck. Everything I say aswell as 99% of the internet reinforces it.

But what about compatability? Can they play games like Virtua Racing, Castlevania III, or Star Fox? If so how many years of "sub par" clones didn't have those and kept pumping them out?

Heck can any of them play those games without issues? And if you have such a hard on for the Genesis go buy one of those new ones. Why you are doing all this ranting if AtGames version is so terrible and you could just buy one that's awesome from somewhere else?

They aren't a big company like Nintendo and aren't stealing Stella code like the Retron 77 probably is going to.

• Like 1

There is too much positivity surrounding these things. Stop settling and allowing them to sell SHIT year after year. I overlooked alot in the beginning too. Now its uncalled for. They arent assembling ps5 its an Atari. No excuses.

I would agree with you except that 2017 was a huge step forward for the Atari Flashback with the HD units. The controllers and emulation took a big step forward. If other changes are in store for 2018, I have to admit that I'm pretty excited.

I also think you are being a little harsh toward Bill. He has been working with AtGames for many years and has been pushing hard for the changes that we have today. Just as an example, when the initial HD units were sent out for review with many issues, Bill was instrumental in getting them improved before launch. Given that, as you pointed out, AtGames has a history of not giving much of a care, I say this is a big accomplishment.

I'm no fan of AtGames, but if they keep improving the HD units, I'll stay interested.

Edited by bmadgames
  • Like 2