IGNORED

Intellivision Flashback 2?

mr_intv

Just because the registration is dead doesn't mean the trademark is not valid. And I would think there is a way to re-register it.

Awesome if this happens!

Don't hold out for corrected control wiring, though. @Flojomojo's thread probably already covers that (too lazy to go check). Reiterating my thoughts on it:

• It would end up being a support nightmare for many in the customer pool: casual consumers. "Why won't my controllers from FB1 work in FB2?"
  • If you make the fix but change the connector to prevent that problem, then you just changed the kind of adapter we old-timers would need to use.
  • There would be new manufacturing / engineering costs, too -- either a "brand new" part or revision of existing.
  • Like 1

Awesome if this happens!

Don't hold out for corrected control wiring, though. @Flojomojo's thread probably already covers that (too lazy to go check). Reiterating my thoughts on it:

• It would end up being a support nightmare for many in the customer pool: casual consumers. "Why won't my controllers from FB1 work in FB2?"
  • If you make the fix but change the connector to prevent that problem, then you just changed the kind of adapter we old-timers would need to use.
  • There would be new manufacturing / engineering costs, too -- either a "brand new" part or revision of existing.

The controller thing is not necessarily an issue. We're making a clean break this year for the Atari and Sega products (wired controllers will still be the same). It's a simple entry in the included manual that previous wireless controllers won't work with the new models. There's always SOME point where you have to give up on some type of compatibility to move things forward.

In terms of adapters, if this were to go ahead (still an if) and the wiring was corrected (a second if) to work with Intellivision II consoles like originally intended, then that's not really an issue either. The adapters for the series 1 Intellivision Flashback would still be needed for those controllers.

• Like 1

The controller thing is not necessarily an issue. We're making a clean break this year for the Atari and Sega products (wired controllers will still be the same). It's a simple entry in the included manual that previous wireless controllers won't work with the new models. There's always SOME point where you have to give up on some type of compatibility to move things forward.

In terms of adapters, if this were to go ahead (still an if) and the wiring was corrected (a second if) to work with Intellivision II consoles like originally intended, then that's not really an issue either. The adapters for the series 1 Intellivision Flashback would still be needed for those controllers.

True that for Intellivision I style connectors you'd need adapters -- but the wiring of them would necessarily change. Unless there's some visual distinction, you'd have to just keep track of where the controller came from -- or just test it out, I guess. Given the niche audience of those who'd be interested in using new controllers on old system, maybe it's just not worth worrying about.

Nurmix discussed the controller pinout problem at great length with Keith. To keep his monopolistic empire of riches fueled by further cable adapter sales, Nurmix lobbied for a 3rd pinout.

In an unrelated note, here is a file photo of Nurmix.

attachicon.gifSnidely_Whiplash.jpg

I think that's his high school yearbook picture. This is more current. A life of monopolistic larceny does take its toll.

mr-burns1.jpg

• Like 3

Of course I want 1 or 2 or....

However, It needs to fix the sound issues!

Could/would Elektronite games be included?

It would be nice to see some newer games on the FlashForward 2.0

Use the Intellivision II colors so controller wiring can be corrected and easy to tell which controllers to use with each unit.

But please keep the controller design as is! I love these controllers.

Stonix would be another great game to add. most others would most likely have issue ©

Maybe a good incentive to finish Mad Drivin' or Castle etc.

Let's hope it happens! I have the Ultimate Upgrade, but for the less tech savvy friends and family, FB 2 would be a nice gift.

I did give a few of the original FB's away, but didn't think the sound and a few other bugs gave a real representation of the intelliivsion.

Plus, BT, Bump n Jump and Tron Deadly Discs would make a world of difference. All great 1 player games.