Photo

Atari 800XL no color

2 replies to this topic

#1 Ice Cream Jonsey OFFLINE  

Ice Cream Jonsey

Space Invader

• 13 posts

Posted Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:26 PM

I have an Atari 800XL that is going to a computer monitor via a composite cable. It has been working flawlessly for years. 

The other day I left the 800XL on for about 18 hours. When I returned, the graphics were in black and white. I turned it off for a couple days and started it again and color was back.

Today I left it on for about 4 hours and it is giving me just black and white images again. I've checked that the monitor is not at fault, but I am not sure where to begin troubleshooting this. Are there terms that would help me run some searches to find other people with this problem? 

#2 Paul Westphal OFFLINE  

Paul Westphal

Stargunner

• 1,213 posts

Posted Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:32 PM

Turn on. Turn over. Upside down on the right side there is a small hole. It is color pot access. Put small eyeglass screwdriver in and turn wiggle back and forth. See what that does for ya. Word up.

Edited by Paul Westphal, Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:33 PM.

#3 Ice Cream Jonsey OFFLINE  

Ice Cream Jonsey

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:47 AM

Turn on. Turn over. Upside down on the right side there is a small hole. It is color pot access. Put small eyeglass screwdriver in and turn wiggle back and forth. See what that does for ya. Word up.

Thanks, Paul. I turned the 800XL on this morning before work just to see the problem again and color was back. I will definitely look at that pot should that happen again. I didn't know about it, so I appreciate the information. I had left it off for about 8 hours... I guess this is a question for anyone, but are there components that could heat up and knock out color, to where letting it cool down for a bit would "fix" it?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users