IGNORED

Cleaning up the old case

jon-paul

Long story but by a very round about route the 800XL i bought new from dixons many years ago is now back in my possesion. And its a right state.

Apart from a couple of missing keys the main issue is that the case is a cosmetic mess, its dirty, grime covers and in major need of a clean up.

Any recomendations on what to use, and what not to use in my attempt to return my 'tari to something close to its fromer state?

:D :ponder: :?

What we use when restoring 1200XL's is a combination of stuff.

Ideally you need to remove the upper part of the case, and then separate it from the keyboard.

You can easily clean between the keys with a slightly damp cloth.

For the case we use normal polish, WD40 and plain old elbow grease with water and a scrubbing brush for the cream, rough plastic.

WD40 removes crayon, ink, pen and helps with scuff marks. Make sure you don't use too much.

If the case has yellowed then you will not be able to do too much with it apart from get rid of surface grime. I have heard of people putting yellowed plastics in a bowl of watered down bleach but it is not something I'd suggest.

Another way to get rid of yellowing is to scrape off the top layer of yellowed plastic, again a drastic measure and not one I would suggest.

Finally, best way to avoid yellowing in future is keep your Atari away from direct light.

Before everyone starts posting with technical expert like solutions and how our techniques are wrong, baah humbug. They work for us.

well i took it apart and attacked the muck with detergent, hot water and white vinigar (just as i use with plastic toy soldiers) its much better, some yellowing, but thats to be expected with the age of it.

now its all drying with the dishes :roll:

Archived