IGNORED

how about a new winter sport game? Biathlon

for those who don't know it, biathlon is a nice winter sport that combines cross-country skiing and rifle shooting. For some reason I think the Intellivision system is adequate for a port and I'm sure that not only the Canadians and the Scandinavians would enjoy playing it.

Actually it would be a totally new Intellivision sport game: the cross-country skiing race should be very different from the existing skiing games and we don't have any sport with shooting.

What do you think about it?

• Like 2

Its an interesting suggestion and I don't see why the Inty couldn't do a version of the game. However, finding somebody interested in coding such a game will probably be quite difficult unless they have their own interests in that area. Along with puzzle games, niche sports games aren't particularly popular for homebrewers to tackle or for Inty system players to buy.

It should be more than just skiing and shooting. It should be a simulation of the sport, which includes not only technical skills but endurance and strategy.

Take a look at the way that Epyx implemented the event in the Winter Games back in the 80s, where your shooting aim is influenced by your heart-rate, which depends on the effort you put while negotiating the cross-country skiing terrain.

Otherwise, it's just no difference than the U.S. Skiing game and any of the target shooters, bunched together.

• Like 1

Just cut the bridge and castle parts from Ice Trek and replace the bow with a rifle! :P

More seriously: For the cross-country skiing / shooting, I wonder if a modification of the approach for Commando would be one way to approach it. Some 'inertia' and 'forced' scrolling for hilly parts of the terrain. Incorporating fatigue and other factors - especially for the shooting - is a great idea. Not terribly familiar with the biathlon's details. Stationary target shooting could be a separate screen with different mechanics for prone vs. standing shooting. Not sure about 'shoot on the run' -- was that only historical or in military scenarios?

Actually I think that would be a great idea for a game- it would be a competitive game for two players, one that you and your buddy can play. The replay factor would be high for those of us with a competitive nature. With the aforementioned variables of heart rate, plus maybe wind speed and visibility...

Someone in Germany once ported the Epyx' Biathlon event from C64 to VIC-20. I think the majority of that port even in is BASIC. Apparently uphills and downhills were never implemented.

That looks clunky to say the least. Its not the best that the Vic20 can do by any means.

I haven't played any older versions but California Games on NES was awesome, I played the hell out of it as a kid.

The "Games" series from Electronic Arts Epyx are all classics. I played them over and over with my friends when I was a kid. :)

-dZ.

EDIT: Corrected to say Epyx. Electronic Arts had nothing to do with them.

Edited by DZ-Jay