IGNORED

what percentage of gamers use steering wheels?

At a guess, what percentage of gamers use steering wheels? I was chatting with a coworker about VR headsets and whether or not that will become the new gaming standard. If VR doesn't die off as a fad, it might at least settle into an established corner of gaming like people who use steering wheels for racing games. So that made me then wonder, roughly how big of the gaming community is that?

I suspect the percentage is very low. Ownership of steering controllers is probably less than 5% of the install base even when a racing game is a hot item, and even then most users won't continue using the steering controller more than a few weeks. Even with "killer apps" like Gran Turismo and Forza, steering controllers never seem to have caught on with the general gaming public.

I know a far more people with plastic VR headsets for their smartphones than have ever owned a steering controller. Even people who don't have a console and aren't into PC gaming seem to have one. But I also suspect most of them stopped using it frequently within a month.

• Like 1

I do not care for racing games as a genre, but I have never used a steering wheel because I tend to play games sitting on the edge of my bed (or couch); there is nowhere to mount the controller.

I never owned a Wii, but the steering controller for that system (basically a plastic holder for a Wiimote) would work for my set-up. There was also a small steering controller for the PlayStation modeled after an RC car remote that looks intriguing.

Steering wheel controllers seem to be very common at thrift shops. As akator observed, presumably people dump them after a short trial.

I would say 1% of people who actually play racing games, which is probably only about 10% of the total gaming population. So 1% of 10%, or .1% of the total. Even that sounds a little optimistic.

I did use a wheel with the Dreamcast because it was pretty cheap. Most wheels are intended for really hardcore gamers and are a lot more expensive. I'd use one all the time if they were $40 or so. I think I paid $30 for my Dreamcast wheel, and it's the official wheel.

I seem to remember the Yu Suzuki Ferrari game having some crazy feature set like supporting ultra wide screen that could be split across three monitors, to replicate the arcade version. Whatever they did almost 20 years ago likely seems really simple/lame today.

.1% is probably wildly optimistic!

Hey did the PS4 Gran Turismo ever come out, and if not, where is it?

I haven't owned a gaming steering wheel since the Dreamcast. When I did, it was all about San Francisco Rush 2049 and the Mad Catz MC2 Racing Wheel.

In total, I owned four MC2 steering wheels. Purchase two of them brand new at a huge discount - Think they were $5-10 each. One broke, and I believe another one I never even touched. It was left new in box.

The game and steering wheel(s) were regularly played with friends and family. I absolutely loved it. This was throughout ~2000-2003. Wow, it's been about 15 years.

Several companies make high end racing wheels and seem to survive, however they all use parts that have other uses in the real world so the barrier to entry is much lower. I'd guess an $800 steering wheel has a much higher contribution margin than the Rift or Vive.

Everyone raves about VR for racing games so hopefully it survives for that and flight sims.

Everyone raves about VR for racing games so hopefully it survives for that and flight sims.

Whoa ... when did VR jump the shark from "this is the new hot thing and everything will be VR" to "I hope it survives?"

I don't disagree, just wondering when that became something that people said!

Whoa ... when did VR jump the shark from "this is the new hot thing and everything will be VR" to "I hope it survives?"

Has 3D or VR ever worked? They care mostly about pushing new hardware than making durable standards. The Nintendo 3DS is a nice exception, but it might fold if the Switch starts eating into their mobile market.

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 1

For people seriously into racing games it's a pretty big market I think, not so much for the casual racer though, unless the price is right.

I picked up a small PS2 steering wheel the other month for a couple of bucks, it looks like it can emulate the d-pad and sticks of a PS2 controller so will be interesting to see how it goes with the Arcade Compilations etc on my PS2, when I eventually get to test it.

For my PS3 I have a cheap wireless effort with the accelerator/brake on the paddles as it has no pedals, is good fun for Sega rally, Daytona, GTI Club etc.

That's it for me though, nothing expensive and am not a huge racing fan, but that logitech did a good job of emulating the arcade experience at home.

This is what I want:

That looks awesome mechnically, but it's almost comical how small that TV is compared to the surroundings that don't move and that you're supposed to somehow ignore. I'd find it really distracting seeing the room move all over the place in my peripheral vision. I'd almost rather have a non-moving chair and wheel where at least you *can* ignore the surroundings.

I picked up a couple Logitech Driving Force GT wheels with pedals at a Goodwill a while back dirt cheap. They work really well with Gran Turismo 3 and 4 on my PS2.

I built a small wooden stand for the wheel, and I have a dedicated gaming space in my garage - arcade cabinets, and a variety of consoles - so it's not a problem to leave it up all the time. My 7 year old son loves it, and I enjoy using it as well.

It's not ideal for every driving game though; things like GTA Vice City / San Andreas support it, but who wants to switch back and forth between controller and wheel every few minutes?

And with a game like Burnout 3 Takedown, it's better to use the regular controller, since the wheel gets uncomfortable after a short while with all the crashing, bumping and twisting, plus you constantly need to use R1 for thrust which is difficult when trying to turn while fighting against the force feedback motors.

I wish it worked with Pole Position on the Namco Museum collection, and some other retro driving games though.

Bottom line, it makes some PS2 driving games more fun, but takes away the fun from others. Over all, worth having though, especially given the price I paid.

81ce472e787cb5782fb8643d15488a9f.jpg

• Like 1

Ok so let me add some Data here. I have 2 Steering wheels one is the Concept 8 for the Dreamcast the other is none other than the Sega Saturn Wheel. I don't count the Wii steering wheels cause its just plastic for the wii mote.

So Dreamcast wheel I use mostly for the games below.

Crazi Taxi 90% of the time. I mean really it works great for this one.

Daytona USA 100% of the time. It was just natural for that game.

MSR 50%. The wheel has response issues but it might just be the game as well but I find going between the 2.

Tokyo Extreme Racer 75% of the time. If I want to play quick I will use the controller but for longer stints the Wheel is used.

Now Sega Saturn

100% for all those below and more to come it seems

Daytona USA

Impact Racing

Hardcore 4X4

Andretti Racing

Panzer Dragoon

Panzer Dragoon 2

Virtua Fighter 2

Fighting Vipers

Die Hard Arcade

NBA Jam Extreme

Dragon Force

and more to come

Anything can be played with the wheel so long as you don't need the shoulder buttons. I find that both fascinating and fun.

• Like 1

I own a few steering wheels, including the first-party force-feedback wheel for the XBox 360. That one is particularly nice, but I rarely use any of them because I just don't have the set-up for them. A steering wheel pretty much requires a permanent installation, or at least some way to easily attach it to a good, sturdy desk or other piece of furniture that won't move. The best I can do is a TV tray in front of the living room TV, and that is definitely not sturdy. Maybe Someday I'll have the means to use a steering wheel more often, but it ain't today.

How do you play a fast-twitch fighter like VF2 with a steering wheel? Does it have a D-pad on the wheel, or what?

Nope but the wheel is mapped Left is Left Right is Right. Left shifter is up and right shifter is down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Eb3YPaRJIY

Watch the end of this for evidence and fun to be had.