Photo

What was Atari's reason for launching the STE?

50 replies to this topic

#51 Mostro OFFLINE  

Mostro

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 20 posts

Posted Today, 9:17 AM

there are a lot of potential noise sources for the vanilla ST sampled output, and you sort of nibbled around the edges, but there's really a lot more to it than what you've researched

Oh, I've no doubt about that. I don't claim that what I said was the be all and end all.

Tricks like- e.g.- adding together the "volume level" (i.e. 4-bit ersatz PCM position) for multiple channels to get better than 4-bit resolution are quite clever, and I'm sure there are other sneaky tricks and exploitation of the chip's characteristics.

The distortions you have identified are definitely there, but not for the reasons you might think.

If I'm wrong that the "jagginess" one would expect from unsmoothable bit-bashing was at least partially the cause of the "tinniness" of ST sample playback Zip referred to (or other artifacts) then fair enough, but I'd be surprised if it didn't have an effect, even if there are other factors in play too.

That said, I was starting to bog myself down in technical sidetracking in that last post, so I think I'll leave that for now. :)

Edited by Mostro, Today, 9:19 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users