IGNORED

Switch ultimately outselling Wii?

Rev

It launched with 9 games

I dont count digital download games as release games. :P :P :P :P :P Sorry bro!

By my count it was 4. Zelda, bomberman, just dance, 1/2 switch. And thats how I imagine the general public will perceive it. Many people I talked to say the same thing.

• Like 3

I thought it was 10? Either way 100M would be nice, but I think probably closer to what the 3DS did ultimately if it keeps going at a good clip. I don't see it bottoming out around the WiiU being even possible and surpassing the Gamecube and N64 with no doubts. Worldwide the SNES did 49.1M and I could see that being topped, the NES hit 61.9M and that's very probable too. The 3DS comes in next for them at 65.3M and growing as it's not dead by any means.

But the Wii did 101.6M, and after that you have the GB/GBC with 118.7M and the Nintendo DS in the top spot at 154M units (PS2 may have topped it by a few hundred K but they quit reporting figures so it's sketchy.) Just for perspective here and all that.

Where is all those Publishers/Developers from the Wii/DS/3DS days that churned out a ton of games? (bankrupt? lol) The switch is a portable, and a home console all in one. Most likely going to replace the 3DS, yes? How is the Switch even selling so well with only a small amount of games released. Its crazy.

Where is all those Publishers/Developers from the Wii/DS/3DS days that churned out a ton of games? (bankrupt? lol) The switch is a portable, and a home console all in one. Most likely going to replace the 3DS, yes? How is the Switch even selling so well with only a small amount of games released. Its crazy.

Dude.. you're off your rocker. The system just came out, give it time.

As far as digital games "not counting", as it was stated in another thread, digital sales are something like 50% of the market. That number is only going to increase.

Go back to your Intellivision cave and leave the sane, logical people who still game on modern systems to talk here.

• Like 6

Dude.. you're off your rocker. The system just came out, give it time.

As far as digital games "not counting", as it was stated in another thread, digital sales are something like 50% of the market. That number is only going to increase.

Go back to your Intellivision cave and leave the sane, logical people who still game on modern systems to talk here.

Lol. Funny stuff. You know zero about me.

I own more modern stuff by 10 fold than retro.

Is sales numbers what makes a game an official release? Or being a physical copy what makes a game an official release. I think it comes down to opinion. Dont discount my expressed opinion and infer that I am insane and illogical because you think of me only as a retro gamer. Pretty presumptuous of you I would venture to say.

I do know that you make stupid threads, so it's at least something more than zero.

Normally the one that resorts to name calling is the one with lesser intelligence. You fit the criteria perfectly.

Please refrain from trolling my thread and insulting. If you wish to behave that way go to the Intellivision section. ;-)

• Like 1

Normally the one that resorts to name calling is the one with lesser intelligence. You fit the criteria perfectly.

Please refrain from trolling my thread and insulting. If you wish to behave that way go to the Intellivision section. ;-)

Name calling? I indicated the thread is stupid, not that you are stupid. Slight difference.

• Like 1

Name calling? I indicated the thread is stupid, not that you are stupid. Slight difference.

I made a mistake as well. What you are doing is not actually 'name calling' in the classic sense.

Its a term called Ad Hominem.

Definition:

Ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person", short for argumentum ad hominem, is a logical fallacy in which an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself.

----

Its a classic move by politicians. Discredit the messenger rather than address the message.

Anyway, now that you have been put in your place. Lets discuss the potential Switch sales.

• Like 2

Ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person", short for argumentum ad hominem, is a logical fallacy in which an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself.

Attacking the substance of the "argument" itself? Sure, OK. Let's do some math:

Of course it has high game attach rate. It launched with 4 games!

Dumb statement #1

+

Dumb statement #2

+

Is sales numbers what makes a game an official release? Or being a physical copy what makes a game an official release. I think it comes down to opinion.

Dumb statement #3

=

A really dumb thread.

• Like 1

That nonsense aside, as far as potential sales are concerned, I think it's too early to tell and any sort of bold predictions at the moment are a wash. The Switch's current killer app (Zelda) and its ability to be played both on the go and on your TV is obviously a big draw, and that's a reason I see it succeeding in high numbers in the short-term even with minimal software offerings. I still say give it a year to see if this momentum keeps up, then start making more realistic predictions. Right now there's little else to go on asides from potential upcoming games (that may or may not get delayed) and the fact that it's portable.

"That nonsense aside"

You just can't help yourself with the insulating tone can you. Its actually quite sad. Lol

I'll be making a new thread to delve deeper into some points I've made. Try not to troll and insult me in those as well. I know it'll be hard for you to do. So I forgive you.

"That nonsense aside"

You just can't help yourself with the insulating tone can you. Its actually quite sad. Lol

I'll be making a new thread to delve deeper into some points I've made. Try not to troll and insult me in those as well. I know it'll be hard for you to do. So I forgive you.

Insulating? I don't think my text needs insulation. It would make it look considerably fatter, which would be weird.

(Too much insulation there.)

lol?

:P :P :P :P :P :) :) :) :) :P :P :P :P :P

Your only rebuttal is calling everything "dumb". Your vocabulary skills are no match for me.

fa·ce·tious

adjective

- treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.

I doubt any console will sell Wii numbers again. The market is just too segmented.

It'll probably sell in the GameCube to N64 range if we are lucky. To many smartphones and ps4s out there, not to mention PC.

I also think there is a pretty good chance the Switch will fall flat shortly due to lack of power and third party support and sell Wii u numbers or less. Remember the Wii U had a strong launch also and people were speculating that it was going to outsell the Wii.

The Wii at launch had streaming Netflix, which was sort of equivalent to the PS2 having DVD when it launched. I think that really helped the Wii because then at least mom could use it for something after she got bored of Wii sports. The Wii had all sorts of fun apps when it launched, the Switch has a blank screen with a whole lot of nothing to do and no Netflix, not that that matters because everything streams Netflix there days.

All speculative, who knows could be a wild success but I stand by my statement that it would never sell Wii numbers in this day and age.

Edited by travistouchdown
  • Like 1

Boggles my mind that people think having Netflix would help Nintendo in any way. Let Xbox One be the TV-watchers' console. I bought a Switch to play games.

Surely anyone with $300 to spend on a Switch has something else for Netflix.

Will it outsell the Wii? Of course not, unless everything Nintendo does for the next 15 years is a Switch or Switch upgrade, like they did with the GameBoy line.

• Like 2

Boggles my mind that people think having Netflix would help Nintendo in any way. Let Xbox One be the TV-watchers' console. I bought a Switch to play games.

That's not what I said at all, i'm saying it boosted the original Wii's sales at the time, because not much streamed Netflix back then.

But...that being said it certainly couldn't hurt. Most average consumers spend more time watching TV than they do games, and companies want people consuming media on their boxes versus others.

The Wii sold in the numbers it did because it managed to sell as more than a console, it was the "hot toy item" for a few years, as well as being the "fun party game" and the "thing your grandkids like and maybe you want to try also". Wii managed to be something that people bought for reasons OTHER than it being a video game console, which makes your potential market go up exponentially. But it's an extremely difficult trick to pull off. I can think of only three other systems that did it: The GameBoy (travel entertainment for businesspeople in the early 90s), the PS2, and the PS3 (both easy upgrades to then-new video formats).

So no, I don't see the Switch doing Wii numbers as long as it's sold as a game system.

• Like 1

Whether you like digital or not, this would be a mistake because to the developer/publisher they absolutely count.

Personally, I picked up Zelda (physical)...and then Fast RMX, Blaster Master Zero, Shock Troopers & Metal Slug 3. Picking up Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth + (physical) this week... Pretty decent start to the console.