86 replies to this topic

#76 Rev OFFLINE  

Rev

A.K.A. Revolutionika

• Topic Starter
  • 15,049 posts

Posted Tue May 2, 2017 10:00 AM

http://www.gamesindu...ii-sales-levels

Nintendo thinks they can reach wii levels with switch??? What's this?

#77 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

River Patroller

• 3,993 posts
  • I took the midnight train going a-ny-where...

Posted Tue May 2, 2017 10:30 AM

http://www.gamesindu...ii-sales-levels

Nintendo thinks they can reach wii levels with switch??? What's this?

It's definitely optimistic, even naive, but consider the reasoning:

"...we think there will be households that feel as though one is not really enough."

They're using portable logic, where people buy multiples of the console for pther household members, or even themselves.  Considering the Switch has a strong portable side, that isn't terrible logic.  There are a whole bunch of reasons I don't think it'll happen, but it's not a completely unfounded ambition.

#78 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

Stargunner

• 1,392 posts

Posted Tue May 2, 2017 12:44 PM

Actually I'd buy that argument completely, the one about a single Switch being enough.  Definitely not in a grossly large amount of places, but as the price drops with time, and with variants (like we said, maybe a handheld only one without the docking parts/cables) it would get into a realm where you have families who have multiple $200(when newly retailed) 3DS handhelds around, or anything else from them or other companies.  It's portable logic, it's a portable system, so why not?

Trumping the Wii, that's a tall glass of hopefulness I doubt until I see some farther out projections based on fact, not just trends over about 2 months as that's nothing.

They do have a very strong point, the faster they can close on 10M units shipped to actual retail to have been bought or been bought and are in use already is huge.  A number that big, and them swinging for it within their fiscal year ending 3/31/18 is crazy good if they hit it.  That would instill a heap of confidence back into them to be a viable gaming company the WiiU utterly destroyed.  This would allow developers to feel far more at ease and confident in releasing product as they know by numbers alone they'll be able to move goodly amounts of their games making profit far less questionable.  Look how bad the WiiU sold overall month to month for its whole life outside of the first month or two it existed, awful.  It ran people off who were on the fence, and those who were on board mostly ran for it into year 2 because they knew the base was so piddly they couldn't get the money out of bothering with it.  Once they hit 10M+ units they'll nearly have crushed 5 years of laughable WiiU sales on the whole which is a real turn around.

#79 Rev OFFLINE  

Rev

A.K.A. Revolutionika

• Topic Starter
  • 15,049 posts

Posted Tue May 2, 2017 4:39 PM

It's definitely optimistic, even naive, but consider the reasoning:

"...we think there will be households that feel as though one is not really enough."

They're using portable logic, where people buy multiples of the console for pther household members, or even themselves.  Considering the Switch has a strong portable side, that isn't terrible logic.  There are a whole bunch of reasons I don't think it'll happen, but it's not a completely unfounded ambition.

As long as they keep releasing some good retail games, I could see me getting a second one by next year. Especially if they release a new Metroid.

#80 Punisher5.0 OFFLINE  

Punisher5.0

River Patroller

• 3,142 posts

Posted Tue May 2, 2017 5:11 PM

You can count me into the households with two. Nintendo has a great product and I think the Switch will be successful for them.

#81 omegadot OFFLINE  

omegadot

Dragonstomper

• 875 posts

Posted Sat May 6, 2017 2:32 PM

If I were to buy one for my children it better have either some serious gorilla glass screen or a clamshell.  That screen is like fine china.  I absolutely do not trust kids with it at the current price point.

#82 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

Stargunner

• 1,392 posts

Posted Sat May 6, 2017 8:35 PM

I think you could sorta gorilla glass it.  There's a pack (of 2) up on amazon that is tempered glass that you can pop into place over the original plastic flimsy lens over the screen now.  I've heard it can take a significant pounding and not get a mark on it.

#83 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 7,670 posts

Posted Sun May 14, 2017 3:30 AM

Its the best of both worlds. Handheld and portable. I could see it doing extremely well, as good as the Wii is a bit out there though. Still, its perfect for people like me who always looks for TV options for handhelds and vice versa (nomad, super gameboy, master gear for gamegear, gbatv, gameboy player, psp3k video cable, vita + ps3. I'm sure there's a few more I got)

#84 Punisher5.0 OFFLINE  

Punisher5.0

River Patroller

• 3,142 posts

Posted Sun May 14, 2017 7:40 AM

Its the best of both worlds. Handheld and portable. I could see it doing extremely well, as good as the Wii is a bit out there though. Still, its perfect for people like me who always looks for TV options for handhelds and vice versa (nomad, super gameboy, master gear for gamegear, gbatv, gameboy player, psp3k video cable, vita + ps3. I'm sure there's a few more I got)

Agreed. It's really nice having the freedom with the Switch. It's become the system of choice for our house since we got one on launch day.

#85 Mord OFFLINE  

Mord

River Patroller

• 2,441 posts

Posted Sun May 14, 2017 5:37 PM

Still don't have a switch myself yet - almost had one a few weeks ago but the supply ran out by payday. Then the pay ran out before they stocked up again. :D

Realistically it's going to be early-mid fall before I'll likely have one, but I've already started the prebuying of games/accessories for it (Got Zelda and 3 of the 4 amiibos for the game so far. Might get the last one this week.)

I suspect the internet connection options for the Switch are wi-fi only like pretty much all of Nintendo's consoles? I'm a lazy bastard with respect to that. I'd prefer to just plug in a cable. ^^

#86 Punisher5.0 OFFLINE  

Punisher5.0

River Patroller

• 3,142 posts

Posted Sun May 14, 2017 9:05 PM

Still don't have a switch myself yet - almost had one a few weeks ago but the supply ran out by payday. Then the pay ran out before they stocked up again. :D

Realistically it's going to be early-mid fall before I'll likely have one, but I've already started the prebuying of games/accessories for it (Got Zelda and 3 of the 4 amiibos for the game so far. Might get the last one this week.)

I suspect the internet connection options for the Switch are wi-fi only like pretty much all of Nintendo's consoles? I'm a lazy bastard with respect to that. I'd prefer to just plug in a cable. ^^

It does support a cable connection to the dock.

#87 Mord OFFLINE  

Mord

River Patroller

• 2,441 posts

Posted Sat May 20, 2017 4:32 PM

It does support a cable connection to the dock.

That works for me then! :D

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users