Photo

Switch ultimately outselling Wii?

106 replies to this topic

#101 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

River Patroller

• 2,236 posts

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 12:49 PM

http://time.com/4705071/nintendo-switch-production/ -- That was last March.  Nintendo officially doubled production of the Switch to make, ship and (hopefully) sell not 8M but 16M units by April 1 2018 the end of their fiscal year. We know for a fact the WiiU is out of production and has been since last year and they were sitting on inventory shipping it out through the end of 2016.  There are a little over 13.5M units of the WiiU created and sold.

All Nintendo has to do in 12months and couple weeks time has to do is meet their production projection, and the WiiU will be bypassed by a few million.  Nintendo is still wishing, but still given the pacing of the Switch has outmatched the pacing of the Wii in the same time frame, they may be on to something.

Edited by Tanooki, Thu Jun 8, 2017 12:50 PM.

#102 Karyyk OFFLINE  

Karyyk

Dragonstomper

• 536 posts

Posted Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:11 AM

I've yet to see a single Switch in stock anywhere, although I'm sure they're selling them through. It's selling like hotcakes, but it's mostly due to the perceived uniqueness of the platform and for the relative exclusivity of Breath of the Wild (relative in that the Wii U did not sell well).

The thing that gets me is the complete lack of games available for it. Outside of Breath of the Wild, almost everything is a port of some kind (Lego City Undercover, The Binding of Isaac, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, you get the drill). I know the games are coming, but they're sure not coming quickly.

Edited by Karyyk, Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:12 AM.

#103 Mord OFFLINE  

Mord

River Patroller

• 2,516 posts

Posted Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:38 AM

I've yet to see a single Switch in stock anywhere, although I'm sure they're selling them through. It's selling like hotcakes, but it's mostly due to the perceived uniqueness of the platform and for the relative exclusivity of Breath of the Wild (relative in that the Wii U did not sell well).

The thing that gets me is the complete lack of games available for it. Outside of Breath of the Wild, almost everything is a port of some kind (Lego City Undercover, The Binding of Isaac, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, you get the drill). I know the games are coming, but they're sure not coming quickly.

On the way to work yesterday I noticed Gamestop had several Switches on the shelf behind the counter. Fridays appear to be the best day to look for restocks imo. The 3-4 times I've seen them available have been on a Friday - at which point it'd be sold out before I got paid the next week! ;)

#104 Rev ONLINE  

Rev

A.K.A. Revolutionika

• Topic Starter
  • 15,208 posts

Posted Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:32 PM

I have not seen a switch in any store since I bought my own.

#105 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 14,971 posts

Posted Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:04 PM

I have not seen a switch in any store since I bought my own.

Best Buy got in a few shipments so did Gamestop. A couple times I've been to Best Buy looking for stomething else, they had sianga up saying "Switch in stock" to replace the usual "sold out" notices. Same as Gamestop. A couple times I went to gamestop to pick up switch games, the clerk asket me if I wanted a Switch console, I said "nope, already got one, may I please have a copy of X..."

I live in a medium sized market, about 300,000 counting the surrounding areas. It is possible with the prevelance of placs like Walmart in ural communities, perhaps medium sized urban areas are the best shot. Rural towns may only have one or two stores carrying the items, while mecium sized pupulatoan centers may have lots more. And scalpers tend to center around large upan areas so people in big cities, small towns may jave ;ess opportunity to purchase switch consoles than people in medium zied ciites .

It als o may vary considerably pending on east coast west coast veruss deep sourht or midwest regions. Suppliye tranins run to disgrubeue goosd so i may be people in one geographic region have better luck procuring consoles than others. I stood in line to preorder the switch on the big january revieal so I was given ticket #4 for the bit midnight launch event.

Sorry vor the typos, my fingers aren't coooperating  right now... :dunce:

#106 LionHearted78 OFFLINE  

LionHearted78

Space Invader

• 34 posts
  • Special Assault Brigade for Real Emergencies

Posted Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:18 AM

It's a great debate to be had really. I honestly think that once this next holiday season is over, you will start seeing the Switch launch window as being pretty favorable. More  so than a lot consoles in recent memory. They already had a GOTY candidate in Zelda at launch. Mario before the end of the year, then a Kirby and Yoshi game before the end of winter 2018. Then you probably have Metroid Prime 4 later in 2018 Pokemon on the horizon as well... Not to mention bringing over Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 2 ...and a bunch of other great titles, that's one of the better first year launch windows that a console has had in awhile. Especially a Nintendo console. It's also a great sign to see 3rd party titles like Rocket League and Skyrim as well as EA sports titles for the systems long-term survival.

The system itself is very solid and versatile. I was cautiously optimistic at first, but now after owning mine for about a month, I'm totally sold. It's great. Love being able to play at home as well as on the go. System is solid and the games look great. Now that they have announced a few of the details of the Online platform, Things are definitely on the rise. The price point is pretty close to on the money for a lot of people to adopt the platform and it's designed to fit into most peoples lifestyle. 

I really could see this thing being one of the best selling Nintendo consoles of all time. Even in a time where dedicated consoles are on the decline. 

#107 Bill Loguidice ONLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,412 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:54 AM

I really could see this thing being one of the best selling Nintendo consoles of all time. Even in a time where dedicated consoles are on the decline. 

I wouldn't say dedicated consoles are in a decline. The sales pace of this generation (PS4, Xbox One, Switch) has been better than ever. The catch is if one or more of the three will break 100 million consoles sold, which is a pretty high bar. All three could get there, with the PS4 being the only potential lock at this point (although still a long way to go) with 61 million units sold to date versus the Xbox One's ~33 million.The Switch still has a lot of time left to make up that kind of ground.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users