Photo

Ok I got my coco-flash from retro-innovations..now what

5 replies to this topic

#1 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 2,056 posts

Posted Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:24 PM

Came in a box with the board in a static bag, an invoice and a disclaimer sheet about license.. that's it..  

It boots up after i hold reset for a bit..  get the menu, can load dos from it (yay no more cloadm) and that works..orchestra loads, and so does the two images on it for buzzard and temple of rom..  

There's a youtube video from Barry showing it works with the menu and stuff but no data on how to actually flash roms into it..etc. what the buttons do?  what kind of audio cable is needed for the orchestra port (I assume that's the headphone jack port)..  i plugged in a stereo to rca adapter and its playing music out my monitor :D so that works 

Greg

#2 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,056 posts

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:24 AM

ok I got more information on how to program it from Barry documentation and tools are forthcoming.. i got some basic tools to try and create cart images and flash them editing the menu is easy its all in basic and then programmed to a rom slot on the card

#3 Nebulon OFFLINE  

Nebulon

Stargunner

• 1,446 posts

Posted Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:21 PM

What is this product?

Is there a website with more information on it?

#4 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,056 posts

Posted Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:39 PM

here is the product: http://store.go4retro.com/cocoflash/

It's so new.. that there's little/no formal documentation.. I have been successful in programming mine with cartridge images it came with the drivewire rom as one of the defaults so it is easy to set up a drivewire server to transfer data

specs:

CocoFLASH is a multi-ROM cartridge system for the TANDY Color COmputer Models 1,2 and 3. 

The unit offers the following features:

• 8 Megabyte of FLASH ROM storage, enough for 1000 8kB ROM images, or 512 16K images
  • 64kB of EEPROM storage (for game save storage, or other data)
  • Orchestra 90 compatibility (including stereo out capability)
  • 2 user defined switches
  • 1 user defined LED
  • cartridge bank support (ala RoboCop, up to 1MB cart size)

Firmware features:

• requires only 4 bytes of IO space
  • IO base register can be modified by software to anywhere in $ff40-$ff7f)
  • IO registers can be "hidden"
  • Optional Robocop "offset" register
  • dual offset capability (master 4kB bank register + optional 16kB offset register)
  • programmatic "autostart" capability
  • Manufacturer and Device ID registers

I have tested the orchestra portion and it works well.  I've also successfully loaded two 16k cart roms and two 32k roms in mine.. Some conversion was required to make them loadable they have to be broken up into 16k blocks and load at a specific memory address:  cartridge images must be converted to CoCo format .bin files that load at &H4000 to use with the writing software.

The menu system is a basic program and is easily modified and reflashed onto the device.

some photos: Attached File  17440296_10158746465960144_279213782_n (1).jpg   71.07KB   1 downloads Attached File  17505718_10158761422340144_1458768476_n.jpg   59.99KB   1 downloads

#5 Nebulon OFFLINE  

Nebulon

Stargunner

• 1,446 posts

Posted Today, 12:36 AM

BINs: (if you click on ALLBIN.ZIP you'll save yourself a lot of time since it contains the whole list)

ftp://maltedmedia.com/coco/SOFTWARE/BIN/

#6 Nebulon OFFLINE  

Nebulon

Stargunner

• 1,446 posts

Posted Today, 12:55 AM

I don't suppose you could write a quick little point-form text tutorial on here describing how to transfer BIN files/ROMs to the CoCoFLASH, could you?

Edited by Nebulon, Today, 12:56 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users