IGNORED

Having a mental dilemma over a Wii

Tanooki

An odd stroke of luck today at the goodwill netted me a mostly there Wii black system, late model with no GC inputs (fine by me.) It lacked the controller+nunchuck but had the Pro controller in there in matching black. Body is a bit scuffed up, not terrible considering the garbage plastic Nintendo used you can look at it funny and it scratches, and i had been able to buff some out using my pinball Novus kit too. The one big question mark was the drive, couldn't test that until just a bit ago. Went to a shop and found Wii Sports Resort which requires the WM+ module(or all in one controller) but funny thing, 2 doors down some doofus screwed up and put a $4 price tag on a white WMP module so I grabbed them. I have 2 spare sets of white standard controllers and nunchucks so I was set -- and in the end it all works 100% correct.

Now the thing is... I kind of want to really keep this. The only reason I let the Wii go was the piece of crap WiiU thinking it would actually survive out of the gate, a mistake. I'm also a bit OCD about completion of certain things, more so about condition.

So the questions are:

- Do I keep or sell it?

- If I stay with the Wii, do I keep it, or sell it and get a nicer one?

If I did stay with it, I'd then sell the other, keep the pro controller though, but let WSR+the wmp module go so the next person isn't hosed.

Not really sure where to go, but if my thoughts are right, last I checked, Gamestop wanker pricing aside you can get almost all the games on the system in like the $3-20 range, little goes higher, thanks at least in good part to the Nintendo Selects line tanking some values.

I'd not go deep on this if it sticks around, but I'd really love to experience the Mario Galaxy games again, get and this time FINISH New SMB Wii too. Outside of that not really sure, Geometry Wars was cool, so was MOH Heroes 2, Zak and Wiki, never finished Fragile into Dreams, and there's random stuff I never had a chance at too. I am totally fine with the Dreamcast I found last Dec I sparingly use and am really digging the Switch now, but it just seems like it might not be such a bad supplemental system to dabble in slowly.

Any thoughts, questions?

Also maybe just not worry about the scratches if you got a good deal...I know this is easier said than done for some people...

Yeah....I have a real hard time with scuffed up consoles. How badly do you have to mistreat your belongings to scuff up an actual console? Some people...

Since you asked...I would sell it and start fresh if you want to experience the Wii. The way to go in my book right now, if you are starting from scratch, is to get a large bundle on the cheap off the local Craigslist. Lots of people are unloading Wii Stuff right now; you can get a nice mint shape wii, 4 wii motes, and 10-25ish games for like $120. If I wanted the most bang for the buck that is the route I would go now.

Also....if you don't have a GameCube, I would look for a backwards compatible Wii, because there are a number of excellent GameCube exclusives that are worth tracking down.

So the questions are:

- Do I keep or sell it?

- If I stay with the Wii, do I keep it, or sell it and get a nicer one?

Any thoughts, questions?

I would say to keep it for two reasons:

1. There are a lot of great games for the system that you can pick up fairly cheap! I recently went to a used game store in Des Moines and grabbed 3 great titles (RE: Umbrella Chronicles, Obscure: Aftermath, and Domino Rally), all complete and in great shape, for about $24. A couple of months ago, a local game store had a BOGO 1/2 off sale, so I grabbed "The Last Story" and "Pandora's Tower" for about $40.

Over the past year I have been on a Wii renaissance kick and buying the more quality games for the system. I have also watched several Youtube videos of "Wii Hidden Gems" and based my purchases on those videos (our very own AA member Metal Jesus Rocks has two videos to check out). Just this past weekend my daughter and I had a lot of fun playing "Sin & Punishment" and "Wario Ware Smooth Moves"!

2. You can very easily software mod your Wii with the Homebrew Channel, which you then can download lots of emulators for! Lots of Youtube videos with a step by step procedure on how to do it, some updated this year (2017)! I recently saw a video that shows how to use a Homebrew channel to use the USB port on the back of the Wii for USB storage of your roms!

If you have an HDTV, I suggest buying an HDMI converter that allows the composite Wii signals to be sent over HDMI. Do a search on Amazon, there are plenty to choose from and pretty cheap. I bought one myself and and pretty happy with the quality I see on my 60" Visio flat screen.

Just my two cents, but I have been having a lot of fun with my Wii!

• Like 1

Appreciate the posts, one thing I should be clear on, I would not be 'experiencing' the Wii', I had one. WiiU with it's endless trail of victims and disappointment motivated me to ditch it since it ran the stuff too (oops.)

Craigslist around here doesn't see the systems pop up much, sometimes I wonder if my area just prefers to stuff things into the hands of half priced books, BME(local mostly in town chain), neighborhood garage sales yearly, or ebay. The stuff that does pop up is either overpriced or beat and missing things and I did check that last night again, same.

I'm looking at a unit on ebay at the moment for a cheap shipped price, system seems in excellent shape, has a pile of $2 turd titles but a couple of ok ones, but has extra parts and all nice in the original packaging for under a $100. I really don't get people beating up a system either, it should just be plugged in and left alone, not used as a soccer(foot)ball.

I never did buy any of those project rainfall trio of games in the day so you can kind of guess around when I stopped buying between that, kirby's return to dreamland, nor did I get the kirby multi-game pack(like mario allstars) either. I had a good many 1st party games, but I did buy the more honest non-B team slap in the face stuff 3rd parties did too. DQ Swords, Zack & Wiki, Geometry Wars, MOH Heroes 2, Fragile, and so on (been a decade need to read a list to remember at this point.) I'd be in no way interested in snapping up a huge stack of stuff either, and I wouldn't touch the Zelda titles on there either again as TP sucks(have GC one) and SS I got fed up with the controls more than the game itself.

I have a Gamecube with the gameboy player so that's going nowhere, also why I'd rather have the later horizontal version too. I will NEVER own a WiiU again, awful waste of my time and money.

I guess at this rate I need to get comfy with Wii Sports Resort a bit and today think more about it. It never was a bad system, just out of date I guess a bit at the time but still had a decent enough library unlike its sorry successor. Also must consider that bundle I found or just keep my mismatched cheap one though selling it would chomp into that a bit.

Maybe get a vinyl skin to cover the scratches if they're bugging you? I know there's ones that look like the original NES but were made for the original white console. I would still keep it though and softmod it. Too bad you don't like the WiiU. It's one of my favorite systems, but I know it's not for everyone. Anyways, I also have one of those cheap HDMI converters for the Wii that plugs into the system, and I think It's worth getting if you have a HDTV. Madworld doesn't work with mine, my TV and monitor says it's out of range. Some games might give you problems, but so far that's the only game I have to play on a CRT.

I resolved the issue. After putting some time into it I decided I won't collect for it, but get a select small set of games to actually play for it, a mix of a few favs and stuff I missed out on. With that since that comment I had been watching various online outlets, and I found this one sale someone had with a unit that a husband bought for a wife who only turned it on a few times, let it sit for a few more months plugged in, then stuffed it in a box for like the last 5 years or so (whenever the 101-Mario Wii+Mario Galaxy Audio CD came out) to then decide to sell it. Also even ended up buying for her a 2nd powder blue wiimote plus that just sat as well. Basically new with extras (+3 games, 2 junk, one has value) I have no interest in, and I had a $20 ebay coupon too, so it ended up being super cheap. I'll just sell the one I picked up days ago and take the like new one from the box.

I don't care to softmod, it's more effort for me than it is worth as I wouldn't use it. WiiU turned me off because I'm as much into third as first party stuff, and they initially released buggy outdated games, then mostly released more crap within a year later, then ran for it blaming Nintendo. I ran out of anything to do by the time Mario kart 8 came out with only Xenoblade and Starfox as knowns so I dumped it. Sadly I dumped the Wii when I got the U since they ran the same stuff.

I wouldn't mind looking into what you said about an HDMI device hookup though, could be interesting to see what it does and its price.

Odd topic this. I never had a Wii as I thought it was all Wii Fit/Wii Play/Let's Dance bollocks at the time and the UK 2nd hand market seemed to just reflect that. Then I bought a Wii U, which I adore, I got Wii backward compatibility and discovered that it was just not the case. Such a lot of really good games on it.

Now I also don't really understand the hate for the U. I can understand it for the way many things were handled on it and the cost of the accessories. Not the mention the necessity I had to swap the battery out for the bigger one as the stock one is woeful, and having to spend what ever daft amount it was for a physical network connection because the wi-fi is shite. But other than that, there's a decent amount of really good games on both. The only downside to the U beyond that that I can see is the fact it's region locked. Which sucks.

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 1

Such a lot of really good games on it.

A great library on both systems, but especially the Wii. Between first party, third party, backwards compatibility, Wii Ware, and Virtual Console on the Wii U though, it has to be the best system with the deepest library ever made by Nintendo. I never understand people who bitch about the Wii U, just assume they haven't actually spent much time on one..

• Like 2

Well the WiiU hate really isn't hard to grasp, unless you went in with lower expectations of really just buying it for Nintendo games. I'm not someone who buys Nintendo for just that, I like variety. So when it ended up getting old ports with bugs and problems to start I was pretty choosy. Then a year into it when the second level of games came out and while far better, still were less than stellar or worse inexplicably spite(or not?) delayed months afterwards to then turn around and bitch about poor sales was the garnish next to the shit sandwich that finished my cares. It came down to keeping it for Xenoblade which I knew I'd never buy and hope to finish, and the poorly even in preview received Starfox over janky panel control forced shenanigans so I ditched it before the bail trail set into play of people mass selling the things off. The Wii was a mistake in two ways, one I sold my original, and two I ditched it thikning the WiiU would last and be fine. Ended up I should have kept the thing.

Despite being tweaked at it a couple years in lacking for a lot of fun games, it had a slow steady trickle but it was hard to see being the PS3 was so compelling and just knocking it out of the park. I got one when Circuit City folded up shop for 50% off along with 4 games and an upgraded video cable for less than the price of the full price unit and just went with it and Wii ended up being mostly a netflix toy.

I'm researching games on it as of last night seriously and digging into the back half of its life where i missed out and the quality definitely did ramp up after I parted interests. I used my WiiU quite a bit, had around 15 games for it, but it just ended up repulsing me in the end due to how it was handled and setup to fail on all accounts so that's where I lie on it, it's not like i didn't try to stick with it, but ultimately I wanted it dead and gone.

I've read the same thing, and I think it may be true, but I really didn't double dip on VC games between the two. I wasn't going to give Nintendo my money twice on the same games because of their shenanigans. I ended up having Earthbound and a few others, that was it, and they did seem less colorful/poppy than the originals on my same TV. I don't think emulating to HD would do it as I've run those same carts yet again in HDMI through the Retron5 without loss.

Wii to Wii U VC upgrade prices were quite fair for the benefits you'd gain, in my eyes. Not pleased about the $3 TurboGrafx-16 fee though, but I don't own many of those and only one is even available here for me to upgrade.

I loved the ability to remap buttons, off-screen play capabilities on the Wii U gamepad, reloadable save states, the reintroduction of controller rumble for Nintendo 64 downloads (Important for the Zelda's and absent on the Wii after being on the Zelda discs on the GameCube), and the ability to use the fully wireless Wii U Pro Controller with them.

And if they have a fair upgrade path to the Switch, even better, I bet. Can't see how their system would recognize Wii (Or Wii Mode) purchases off the Wii Shop for a system that never had an account. But I can log into my account right now and see my full 3DS and Wii U purchase history.

That $1 investment for instance to upgrade a Wii Mode NES download to the full Wii U version quite possibly has unlocked the ability to now bring it forward to the Switch for free or another nominal fee, since it's seen as a Wii U purchase after upgrading and is tied to the same account I'd log into on a Switch.

If Nintendo isn't a greedy idiot when we get some VC details, all the upgrades I've done for free with the Deluxe Digital Promotion credits I earned, suddenly turned into an even better deal once I buy a Switch.

I've never owned a Wii U, but is it true that the VC games have inexplicably dimmer and harder to see screens than the Wii? I don't know details, but I've heard that and assume it has something to do with emulating in HD...

I don't think it has anything to do with HD.

The rumor has been that this was Nintendo's attempt to combat epilepsy. It affects the Wii U's NES emulator, but the Wii counterpart was every bit as dark. And unlike the Wii, Nintendo 64 games are also now very dark and it's confusing why they'd feel the need to combat near non-existent screen flashes on N64 games in this manner. Never done a 1:1 comparison, but Super Nintendo games still look bright and vibrant and New Super Mario Bros. DS looks just fine to me for DS games. Not sure the status on TurboGrafx-16 games.

And GBA games are also a bit dark, but that was M2 trying to compensate for the various tricks developers utilized on the GBA to make their games more playable on the original's unlit screen. The result to my eyes with the half dozen or so GBA downloads I've bought, has been a pleasing one.

Happily, the NES Classic Edition provides hope for the NES emulator on the Switch. Not perfect even there, but so much better than what we had before.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

They said that the Wii and old DSi level stuff was never tied to the Nintendo Network, NNID or any of that. It was a basically Nintendo Network beta or whatever, not compatible, so once they flip the lights off on that, unless you're into homebrew channels that stuff is toast. All those games were system bound alone, not even trackable under the current or the previous website either for 3DS/WiiU.

I do have some lots goodies on WiiU, I'd hate it but i'd probably eat a fee to get stuff like Earthbound, those old .20 games they did for 24hour periods for 1 week about a year if that into the WiiU, and if other eshop stuff got the door opened I'd grab up D&D Mystaria again and whatever else I had if i remember liking it.

That epilepsy thing took another turn on the NES CE if anyone recalls. Anything that flickers was either slowed/toned down, or they did it in like a flashing splotchy wave like with the fire/flash effects in Final Fantasy (which actually looked really amazing.)

• Like 2