IGNORED

Pitfall Harry's Contest of Doom

Pitfall Harry

I haven't been able to figure out any of the clues yet. I've been having fun finding game titles in the word jumble... All the Activision games are there, but that hasn't helped me decipher the clues.

I took the clue "THEREISMORE" to mean that some of the words are bent... but it probably means "more" than that. I don't think there is anything else hiding in the picture (at least not with other colors it seems.)

With Ben's last contest, the clues he provided were simply hints at the puzzle itself, but were not in any way required for solving the puzzle.

In some ways they were a distraction, because the clues were challenging puzzles in themselves but ultimately may have been a "waste of time" in solving the real puzzle.

The same may be the case here. The colored letters in the word search do not fit into the blanks in the clues, no matter how you approach it. The clues may pertain to the correspondingly-colored letters. Maybe not. In any case, it is my hunch that the primary puzzle can be solved without even looking at Ben's external clues.

The only significant things I've noticed with the colors so far:

1. None of the yellow letters are in any of the words I found.

2. In the couple of cases where I've found words multiple times, the same letters are the same colors in both instances.

In the couple of cases where I've found words multiple times, the same letters are the same colors in both instances.

Really? I only found that to be true with one of the duplicate words. Of course, none of the words are really duplicates. :ponder:

The word "six" is in there twice. You can easily see some other words, but they may all be coincidence: five, tear, read, ring, forge, rage, wed, get, boner

I managed to decode one clue, and partially another one... doesn't seem to help much. I already know they are "everywhere", and making them everywhere by filling the whole thing with white doesn't seem to do much for me either.

Here is what I got so far:

• The length of the clues matches the number of the letters of the corresponding color (except for the green folder)

[*] the colored letters don't match to the clues (e.g. missing letters)

[*] The readable part of all clues has 14 letters (+2 spaces)

[*] The green letters are only in odd rows

[*] The yellow letters are sorted on the map

[*] I only found Activision games (35 in total)

[*] There is no yellow letter in any Activision game name

[*] the frequency of all letters is quite exactly the letter frequency of english, except for K (and maybe B), which is there too often. So the letters are most likely not encoded (but somehow mixed :))

• Not very much. :?

Thomas...

I think you've missed a few words in the puzzle.

I found 47 titles. All of the Activision titles that come up in a search for Activision, all regions, in the 2600 rarity guide search are represented.

I found Ghostbusters and H.E.R.O. twice. One of the Ghostbusters is actually "Ghostbusters II" but that was never released under the Activision label so I'm not sure if it's meant to be that way or not.

Here's something (from the Pitfall manual):

DIAMOND RING = 5000 POINTS

GOLD BAR = 4000 POINTS

SILVER BAR = 3000 POINTS

MONEY BAG = 2000 POINTS

Obviously associated with the clues above. Diamond, gold, silver, green. What does it mean? :?

14 letters in each clue.. a perfect game is 114,000. Ok, I think I'm over analyzing it now! :D

Thomas...

I think you've missed a few words in the puzzle.

Probably. :)

I foound all 2600 games from Activision (36) except:

Decathlon

Bridge

Kaboom

Laser Blast

Oink

Pitfall

Pitfall II

Rampage

Robottank

Skiing

Tennis

Hm, I wonder where the other 11 are, I can't miss them all. :?

Hmmm... well now that you mention it, I've just stumbled on a couple of non-Activision games that are 4 letters each.

I'm willing to allow that, just POSSIBLY, those (as well as the second H.E.R.O.) slipped in by accident. Ben's usually very careful but it would take forever to verify -- with "bent" words in the puzzle -- that no real words accidentally slipped into the filler letters.

Hm, I wonder where the other 11 are, I can't miss them all. :?

Follow this clue Ben left for us in the bottom left corner of the puzzle...

(I wouldn't normally give this away but someone else already did.)

T

H

E

REISMORE

Archived