IGNORED

7800 units sold?

FOX2600

According to Wikipedia I'm reading it was 100,000 units? That seems awfully low. I understand it didn't do well but still. Also, apparently there was a lot of left-over stock in Atari warehouses(similar to a certain infamous Atari game)? Does anyone remember the 7800 in a fire-sale?

Poor 7800, wrong place wrong time :-(

According to Wikipedia I'm reading it was 100,000 units? That seems awfully low. I understand it didn't do well but still. Also, apparently there was a lot of left-over stock in Atari warehouses(similar to a certain infamous Atari game)? Does anyone remember the 7800 in a fire-sale?

Poor 7800, wrong place wrong time :-(

That information isn't correct based on what Curt Vendel posted in 2009. Curt had original internal Atari sale reports from 1986 to 1990. I don't if he still does.

Here is the source: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/144552-happy-25th-7800-sales-figures-attached/?hl=+sales

Edited by 8th lutz

Not sure what he read.

The Wikipedia article states than by end 86 Atari sold 100K unit, then it also states that by July 88 it was 1M.

I remember a final 3.77M figure floating around:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/MattMatthews/20090526/84050/Atari_7800_Sales_Figures_1986__1990.php

I am not sure what to believe!

That information isn't correct based on what Curt Vendel posted in 2009. Curt had original internal Atari sale reports from 1986 to 1990. I don't if he still does.

Here is the source: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/144552-happy-25th-7800-sales-figures-attached/?hl=+sales

Thanks a lot Lutz! This is the kind of info I want to see, thanks again ;-)

Short Answer:

~3,770,000 units sold.

Long Answer:

Although Wikipedia is not always the most reliable source for accurate information, regarding the Atari 7800, the Wikipedia article under "Launch" states:

"By the end of 1986, Computer Entertainer claimed the Atari 7800 had sold 100,000 consoles in the United States."

[Note: Accurately listed as sourced from Computer Entertainer's Dec 1986 and Feb 1987 articles.]

That same article continuing under "Marketplace Challenges" relates:

"By June 1988, the Atari 7800 had sold 1 million units worldwide."

[Note: Source actually states: "...more than a million units to date".]

As linked to earlier in the thread, official sales figures provided, have been reviewed here and discussed elsewhere, details ~3,770,000 consoles sold by the end of 1990.

The Atari 7800 remained actively sold for another year, through 1991. Production ceased in January 1992.

Number of consoles sold in 1991, adding to the ~3.77 million consoles sold is unknown.

Not sure what he read.

The Wikipedia article states than by end 86 Atari sold 100K unit, then it also states that by July 88 it was 1M.

I remember a final 3.77M figure floating around:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/MattMatthews/20090526/84050/Atari_7800_Sales_Figures_1986__1990.php

I am not sure what to believe!

That guy who sticks by that number is kind of a prick. I've changed it several times to the Curt number (since it's from Atari's source), and he's deliberately changed it back.