IGNORED

UnoCart (a new multi-cart) - orders/pre-orders thread

Can someone give me the highlights on the differences between uno and ultimate? (What do I get for the extra ~$50?

Also, if I preorder ultimate, any idea how long the wait would be before it would ship?

Thanks!

The Ultimate can handle larger ROMs and will work on 400’s or 800’s. The UNO will work on any XL or XE (even the 1200XL) but can only handle roms up to 128K (1 megabit). Fortunately, this includes every commercial vintage title ever released for the machines in their commercial lifetimes, and all the goofy bankswitching schemes - from the various OSS methods to Bounty Bob, you’re covered. The UNO also has very limited support for .ATR files though it’s very much an afterthought and doesn’t work with a lot of stuff.

So: if you want to use a mulitcart with a 400 or 800, or need very large ROM sizes, use the Ultimate. If you’re mostly an XL/XE person and are happy with vintage ROM sizes generally used, the UNO is great.

DISCLAIMER: I am a very happy UNO user.

• Like 3

I agree with DrVenkman. The UNO Cart is probably the best thing that I ever bought for my 800XL. I've got 700+ files on mine and it works superbly. ATR support on it is actually pretty good and much better than I expected; I'd wager that 2/3 or so of the ATRs that I've tried gave me no issues whatsoever. Plus CAR, ROM, and XEX support is all but perfect.

• Like 1

I agree with DrVenkman. The UNO Cart is probably the best thing that I ever bought for my 800XL. I've got 700+ files on mine and it works superbly. ATR support on it is actually pretty good and much better than I expected; I'd wager that 2/3 or so of the ATRs that I've tried gave me no issues whatsoever. Plus CAR, ROM, and XEX support is all but perfect.

Thanks SS for such glowing praise!

Given that the whole device was really just started as a quick "will this work?" type project (and then polished in order to give me a good article to write for Excel magazine) it's great that its working so well for you.

Robin

Can someone give me the highlights on the differences between uno and ultimate? (What do I get for the extra ~$50?

Also, if I preorder ultimate, any idea how long the wait would be before it would ship?

Thanks!

Let me answer your specific questions first:

1. The UNO carts give you convenience in the smaller SD card form factor, as well as ATR availability. Ultimates give you larger ROM file access and 400/800 compatibility. Those are the basic differences.

2. Ultimate carts are being produced as soon as I sit down at the table and make them in a few hours. If all goes well, they could ship on Monday (30 Oct). If all does not go well, they will ship next week (07 Nov).

UNO cart orders ship immediately. Although I need to sit down and order more parts/create some more because my initial run is running low.

In general:

In my tests while producing UNO carts, I have found the ATRs to be quite responsive. Is it 100%? No, it is not. I try to check a different ATR every time I test a cart before shipment, this way I get a feeling for what does and does not work. If the ATR "follows the rules" of programming, then they generally work. I will admit that sometimes testing takes longer because I start playing with the ATR I just booted! There are some that are a collection of chip tunes and I always get distracted playing the songs. A GREAT thing to use it for is flashing PIC chips for the various upgrades. All I do is copy the FLASH.ATR to the SD card, boot the UNO, connect my JOY2PIC and I am in business, no need for anything else. It is much faster and more convenient than using anything else.

The Ultimate cart is also a great piece of gear, especially if you have a 400/800 or large ROM files, but if you only have an XL/XE, the UNO does everything you need it to do and then some. Personally, I think having one of each is the best of both worlds. I can have the Ultimate in my 800 and the UNO available on my XL. However, since I am the one producing them, it is a little moot! ;-)

I will tell you this: Having both available is one of the reasons I decided to sell all of my 8bit carts: Everything I wanted to run/play I could do over the UNO or Ultimate carts.

Edited by MacRorie
  • Like 4

I will tell you this: Having both available is one of the reasons I decided to sell all of my 8bit carts: Everything I wanted to run/play I could do over the UNO or Ultimate carts.

I am seriously considering doing this too, although it is sometimes kind of nice to look at my drawer full of (now mostly unused) cartridges. Maybe I should start off selling my old multi-carts first and see how it feels.

A GREAT thing to use it for is flashing PIC chips for the various upgrades. All I do is copy the FLASH.ATR to the SD card, boot the UNO, connect my JOY2PIC and I am in business, no need for anything else. It is much faster and more convenient than using anything else.

I've been doing the same thing. Instant boot and the PIC is programmed in no time. I love my UNO!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. Fantastic, awesome, incredible...

...except for the case. So I decided to do something about it. Nothing fancy and not done yet, but here are the results from an extra CBS Software cartridge I had.

- Shaved a tiny bit off two posts (45 degree angle so the UNO fit)

- Drilled a hole for the reset button.

- Lay UNO cart in place (perfect fit)

- Put it all back together (one screw)

- DONE!

Will look into MicroSD card opening as well as programming connections, but since I have just about every possible 8-bit file I would ever want on there, no immediate need. Worst case scenario, remove one screw and remove MicroSD and/or re-flash, etc.

post-61269-0-52000600-1510450573_thumb.jpg

post-61269-0-41349000-1510450611_thumb.jpg

post-61269-0-48469400-1510450646_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Will look into MicroSD card opening as well as programming connections, but since I have just about every possible 8-bit file I would ever want on there, no immediate need. Worst case scenario, remove one screw and remove MicroSD and/or re-flash, etc.

I can't tell you how many times that I've thought I was *absolutely* finished adding games to my SD card only to find that there was indeed something else that I wanted. It's been almost a week now since I put a new game in the card so maybe I'm finally done with it but I wouldn't be too surprised if something else pops up one of these days.

I can't tell you how many times that I've thought I was *absolutely* finished adding games to my SD card only to find that there was indeed something else that I wanted. It's been almost a week now since I put a new game in the card so maybe I'm finally done with it but I wouldn't be too surprised if something else pops up one of these days.

I see they make MicroSD extenders :grin: so I might get one and add a slot on the top for a cleaner finish.

I see they make MicroSD extenders :grin: so I might get one and add a slot on the top for a cleaner finish.

This is a pretty good idea. I've got an extra cartridge or two sitting around so I might actually think about giving my UNO Cart a full sized cartridge upgrade. How do you think that you might go about securely attaching the micro SD extension to the cartridge shell though?

This is a pretty good idea. I've got an extra cartridge or two sitting around so I might actually think about giving my UNO Cart a full sized cartridge upgrade. How do you think that you might go about securely attaching the micro SD extension to the cartridge shell though?

Off the top of my head, double-sided foam tape, but not sure until I actually have one to play with. Appears there are several different types. Encased and bare, etc. More than likely will purchase a bear one.

OK, this is unexpected. I didn't think that the UNO Cart is supposed to load AtariMax .CAR images but I've just managed to successfully run two different 1MB AtariMax files ("Pac-Man Arcade V2 FINAL" and "Gauntlet (Mindscape)"). What's the story here? I didn't play very far into either game so might they end up crashing at some point? Or is it possible that I am not noticing some other in-game error? Can anyone shed some insight?

Edited by SS

OK, this is unexpected. I didn't think that the UNO Cart is supposed to load AtariMax .CAR images but I've just managed to successfully run two different 1MB AtariMax files ("Pac-Man Arcade V2 FINAL" and "Gauntlet (Mindscape)"). What's the story here? I didn't play very far into either game so might they end up crashing at some point? Or is it possible that I am not noticing some other in-game error? Can anyone shed some insight?

UnoCart can load ROMs up to 128k in size. This includes 1Mbit AtariMax carts (128k), but not 8Mbit (1024k) AtariMax carts.

Note than AtariMax carts are named from the number of BITS they store rather than BYTES.

Hope this helps,

Robin

• Like 1

Quick update. Fantastic, awesome, incredible...

...except for the case. So I decided to do something about it. Nothing fancy and not done yet, but here are the results from an extra CBS Software cartridge I had.

- Shaved a tiny bit off two posts (45 degree angle so the UNO fit)

- Drilled a hole for the reset button.

- Lay UNO cart in place (perfect fit)

- Put it all back together (one screw)

- DONE!

attachicon.gif1111172029_HDR1.jpg

attachicon.gif1111172029b_HDR1.jpg

attachicon.gif1111172030_HDR1.jpg

Yeah, I know. The case has been on my "need to change" list for a bit. It is a perfect design, but I find that it is difficult to use with the XL series as the cart door on the machine always makes me want to put it in the middle. One of these days, I will make a case design, but for now the one Robin designed is very well done. However, I see your point. :-)

-M

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just found this, had no idea a multicart for Atari computers even existed! Are these still available? If so I'd like to buy one.

Why yes they are! In fact, there are two types of multicarts! The UNO and the Ultimate. Both are made by ElectroTrains! and both are sold by me! send me an email macrorie@thebrewingacademy.com!

• Like 1

They will play the 1mb images. Check the manual for a listing of all of the cart types it will play

If I were to sacrifice a surplus cartridge shell, would the UNOCart's label fit the older cartridge shell?

It should. However, that label is not coming off for love or money, I put them on waterproof labels for durability and, well, yeah, they adhere like glue almost instantly. I can send you a new label if you like.

It should. However, that label is not coming off for love or money, I put them on waterproof labels for durability and, well, yeah, they adhere like glue almost instantly. I can send you a new label if you like.

Yes, please. If you are Marlin4 on eBay, I just purchased an UnoCart from you. You can send me an extra label that way.