IGNORED

Original Xbox & PS2 on modern TV- to stretch or not to stretch?

As I redo my setup to make space for an eventual Switch/Xbox One S, I decided to dig out my old Pelican HD system selector so I could run a few things in through component instead of composite- specifically, the PS2, Xbox, & PSP (lucked into a cheap NOS cable at a thrift store a few months ago.) Everything is hooked up and running smoothly, barring the hunt for a proper cable for the Xbox instead of the cheap China job I've got now. However, I've run into an interesting problem- everything is coming out at 16:9, regardless of system settings- so any games that don't support 16:9 are looking a little stretched. I can change the TV's settings to 4:3 for the component source, but then the stuff that IS 16:9 (and the PSP) get squished instead.

It's not terrible by any means- in fact, if I didn't have a video of Otogi running on my phone to hold up to the TV and see the difference in the HUD, I doubt I'd really notice. I'm still curious, though- is there a way to make the systems switch between 16:9 & 4:3 depending on the game? Or should I just set up for 16:9 and let the picture be a lil' off? For the record- no, I don't currently have the option to connect to a CRT instead.

Can you set the TV to "native" so it will switch depending on what resolution it is being fed? On most of my TVs that also handles the 4:3/16:9 formatting.

(this can then be a hassle though when you watch TV and switch between 480/720/1080, because slow TVs can take a second to find the resolution--really depends a lot on your gear)

I pick this up from being a movie purist but, I never play or watch anything unless it is OAR: Original Aspect Ratio.

Analog signal carry information for 4/3 and 16/9. But your switcher might not transmit it? Or maybe the component out of your systems doesn't do.

If your TV have it, select "native format" as already said. Or switch between 4/3 and 16/9 when you feel like it.

In the end, it's all about YOU. There isn't a retrogaming police that is going to check if your games run in the right format. Do you feel laright with the picture being off? Then don't bother. It's a free country :P

Edited by CatPix

I'm really not bothered by it- I wouldn't even have noticed save for trying to make sure my Xbox was running correctly & putting in a game I knew didn't have official 16:9 support.

I've never actually used component before, so I was just wondering if I was missing something obvious.

I don't have a native output option on my set, sadly- it's 16:9, 4:3, zoom & custom. It's a 32" Samsung J6300, if anyone's familiar with the model.