IGNORED

screwing with pirates

I've decided that the best way to fuck with pirates is to password protect the games that I make. so here's a small snippet of my code:

10 print "are you a pirate"

20 input a$

30 print "hello, my name is c64..., please give password

40 input a$

50 if a$= 1000 to 9000 (or brute forced) goto 80

60 if a$= 8145 or 99872 goto 90

70 goto 80

80 (loops)

90 (unlocks computer)

what I want to do is separate them into 2 different code batches. 1 to protect any games I make or upload to this site

2. to unlock it if needed. (I trust those I give the password to will not spread it over the internet)

currently in alpha stage

If the password is in the program it'll be found in no time. If you do fancy encryption it'll take seconds/minutes longer.

In the modern day, emulation and debugging means you can't hide much at all.

The way to go with a password would be to encrypt most of the program then have the password actually form most of the decryption key.

By doing that, it's not discoverable by any other way than actually getting it right.

Then again, brute force password hacking is easy with fast modern CPUs.

• Like 1

I've decided that the best way to fuck with pirates is to password protect the games that I make. so here's a small snippet of my code:

10 print "are you a pirate"

20 input a$

30 print "hello, my name is c64..., please give password

40 input a$

50 if a$= 1000 to 9000 (or brute forced) goto 80

60 if a$= 8145 or 99872 goto 90

70 goto 80

80 (loops)

90 (unlocks computer)

what I want to do is separate them into 2 different code batches. 1 to protect any games I make or upload to this site

2. to unlock it if needed. (I trust those I give the password to will not spread it over the internet)

currently in alpha stage

Add these lines for additional protection:

5 print "Please pry off the Break key with a screwdriver before continuing, then press any key to continue"

6 input $a

• Like 5

Control-3

Error 136

L.

This actually worked for me on a particularly difficult BASIC program. It shall remain nameless because of how I "re-used" some of the code I was able to unprotect.

It was a combination of rapid fire hitting break and Ctrl-3 and pressing System Reset here and there, but I finally got a READY prompt. This disk had no DOS, it booted directly to the BASIC program, and all disk I/O was handled by the program.

Once I got READY, I had to save it, but no DOS was booted. I had to use C:. What a pain, but it worked. Booted a DOS disk, loaded from C: then saved to D:

:)

• Like 1

What stops the pirates from simply viewing the BASIC listing and spotting the password or removing the "protection"? There's nothing you can do as a BASIC programmer to obfuscate your program that a cracker - someone who usually has a lot of "in the field" machine code knowledge - can't undo and even if the program is compiled it doesn't take much picking around for someone with that skillset to find the password.

The bigger question that springs to mind though is why would you bother in the first place?! Even something that'd put up a fight from assembly language is pretty pointless because one password leak or weak algorythm later and everything is undone.

• Like 1

Guys.... um let's just indulge the enthusiasm without bothering with the wider scope of it all. I'm pretty sure there's a reason for it all.

Okay, so who fancies explaining the reason behind "screwing with pirates" then...? Enthusiasm is fantastic, but piling all of that energy into something like this is akin to driving up a cul-de-sac in a rocket-powered car, it's going to end messily...

• Like 1

Okay... I'll just get it over with. The OP has either started a humorous exercise in futility, or he's suffering from some kind of mental affliction. In the 1st case, there's not much fun in pointing out the futility, as that kills the joke/humor. In the second case, it's best not to tear down his grand ideas as he enthusiastically explores programming an Atari 8-bit, less he have some kind of mental episode or psychotic break. ;-)

• Like 1

The OP has either started a humorous exercise in futility, or he's suffering from some kind of mental affliction. In the 1st case, there's not much fun in pointing out the futility, as that kills the joke/humor.

Assuming there was something to kill in the first place...

In the second case, it's best not to tear down his grand ideas as he enthusiastically explores programming an Atari 8-bit, less he have some kind of mental episode or psychotic break. ;-)

If he's losing the plot that's going to happen sooner or later anyway, probably around the time he tries to use players from BASIC. But okay, i won't bother responding to his posts any more because i'm not going to waste time working out if he's being serious or not.