IGNORED

Issues with Transfer

Opry99er

Trying to transfer the TELCO disk files to my TI. I have extracted them from the .DSK file and am now trying to move them all over to my disk drive.

It will allow me to move the normal files over (TELCO, TELCP, etc) but there are a bunch of files on the disk that have the prefix "T>"

The PC changes the names to T@xx, but CFHDXS1 recognizes them as "T>", just as they are on the disk.

Whenever I try to transfer these files, I get an error7.

Does it have something to do with the file names?

T>ADM3A

T>ANSI

T>ASCII

T>CATALOG

etc.

Any ideas?

Both correct... In TI99Dir, I can view both the PC Name and the TI name.

The PC Name is: T@CATALOG

The TI Name is: T>CATALOG

In Windows, inside the file, I see "T@." On the TI side during transfers, I still see "T>", yet the files refuse to transfer... error7

Both correct... In TI99Dir, I can view both the PC Name and the TI name.

The PC Name is: T@CATALOG

The TI Name is: T>CATALOG

In Windows, inside the file, I see "T@." On the TI side during transfers, I still see "T>", yet the files refuse to transfer... error7

I remember this problem. It's time consuming, but I found the easiest way was renaming the files, copying them over to the TI, then renaming them back once I got them back onto the TI. IIRC, I used DM2K and the character "-". Good luck!

Edited by --- Ω ---

These FIAD files were extracted via TI-99Dir.

The .dsk image is the one you posted a while back with the manual, etc...

Can you confirm this rename/name method works? And if so. Why in the hell would it matter what the PC name is if the file itself retains all TI properties??

Just seems strange to me...

Why in the hell would it matter what the PC name is if the file itself retains all TI properties??

Just seems strange to me...

Telco is looking for a specific filename to load a module (off of DSK1.), it cannot find it, (due to the name change), it will not work.

Also, IIRC, Telco will not work over the HDX.

The only other program I remember with file issue names was RemindME! It will work over HDX, but if you try to copy the file it generates on the PC and try to use it on the TI, you'll have to rename it. Interesting to say the least.

One of the mian reasons I like TIMXT so much, I just wish it was finished.

Well, I am not trying to run it via HDX. I am just trying to transfer the FIAD files to the TI.

My question is why CFHDXS1 would throw an error when attempting to transfer a file.

My concern is that the files are corrupted or unrecognizable... And if that is the case, I need to re-DL or re-extract the disk rather than dink around with file names.

Edited by Opry99er

My concern is that the files are corrupted or unrecognizable... And if that is the case, I need to re-DL or re-extract the disk rather than dink around with file names.

That was not my experience. I believe the program is balking at the file name. Rename the invalid character on one file to a "-" and then you'll see it will copy over.

***By the way, what is "unfinished" about TIMXT?

Well, I guess it's one of the reasons I've not been on the boards for so long. Currently, every time a BBS's IP# changes, you have to break out the sector editor and modify the text in the macro's and then reinstall the program on the FR99. Same goes for every other BBS you would like to save or use. If not, you'll have to type in a long set of numbers every time you want to connect. It became so tedious, I simply stopped. If the program was setup to read a macro file from DSK1. or anywhere else, it would be welcome.

Feature of hdx.. When the ti tries to copy the file it uses the tifiles/v9t9 header filename but the hdx server tries to find it only to find nothing as the actual filename was changed to have the @ instead. They need to match. I rename them in tidir so they match with a valid pc filename then rename them back on the ti disk once transferred.

Have you got the latest hdx server? Vague memories of bugging Fred to fix this.

Greg

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Feature of hdx.. When the ti tries to copy the file it uses the tifiles/v9t9 header filename but the hdx server tries to find it only to find nothing as the actual filename was changed to have the @ instead. They need to match. I rename them in tidir so they match with a valid pc filename then rename them back on the ti disk once transferred.

Have you got the latest hdx server? Vague memories of bugging Fred to fix this.

Greg

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

My vague memory may also have been a fix to TIdir.. check that version too

Greg

The filenames are working as you describe because they are V9T9 style files with the original filename embedded in the header. I can't explain why you can't transfer them, though... but the '@' symbol might not be supported in your tools. The naming mess is why Classic99 adopted '~' for Windows illegal characters and doesn't mess around with them at all. ;) But Omega's advice will get you through. But if you're trying to get to the TI, there are two easier ways than messing around with filenames - either transfer the entire disk image, or if you don't have a way to do that, use archiver in an emulator to create an arc file, transfer that, and re-extract on the TI side. It'll be a lot faster dealing with just one file and you won't need to worry about filenames (or corruption, since it'll be detected during unpack).