IGNORED

sega 32x after market link cable

icemanxp300

So I got a 32x in a few weeks back but it was system and a/c only. I grabbed my link cable and tested it and it worked. So I went on ebay looking for replacements and found some from China for $2.26 each.

So today I got them in and they look good. I fired it up and bam works like a charm until you go to power off the genesis (model 2). It would not power off LOL. I was like wtf seriously? So I unplugged the genesis but not the 32x and it still ran with the a/c unplugged from the Genesis LOL.

Well I had noticed the aftermarket link cable had an extra pin that the original did not. After about a 30 second Google search I found multiple threads as to how that pin shorts the 5V rails. So I used a dremel and cut that pin off, one side only (kind of redundant to do both ends).

I then powered it on and it worked properly this time. The genesis shuts off when it should. So if you want a cheap replacement just know you need to cut a pin for it to work properly.

I'm still on the fence on what feedback should be given as in my opinion this item is defective and not made for a 32x link cable. I took pictures to show the difference and pin that needs to be cut.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401223816825?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

post-25078-0-82616200-1490839845_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing. If I may the picture before the "dremmel-action" is a little blurry. I know that unfortunately you can't go back in time and take a better one, just noticing.

In any case the last picture shows exactly what to do.

At <2.5$ they are really cheap!!!!

I know it was blurry but figured it didn't matter much anyhow as the last picture is the same just after the pin is cut down. So I didn't bother retaking it. I did take this new one just now because the seller wants me to send them a picture so they can confirm this. Kind of irritates me they can't figure it out on their own. A simple google search shows what an original looks like and they obviously can look at theirs.

This is a clearer image.

post-25078-0-88655200-1490875345_thumb.jpg