So hey there^^ I've decided to pick up and start learning bB and using the visual tool recently. To be honest,I've got more of a background in art, I've never programmed a day in my life before recently. Unfortunately, all of the information I've found so far seems really disorganized and I haven't found any sort of hub or directory that shows examples of code and explaining how the information actually works. I've had a few problems so far, but I know how to do part of what I want. If anyone could point me in the right directions when it comes to specific tutorials/ part of guides and such, that would be great.
The project itself is called "Magnificent Heist" it's a top-down, Zelda-style, stealth based dungeon crawler where you play as a thief and have to evade lasers, spotlights, and security guards as you go deeper through a building to burgle treasure.
Things I can do/ know I can do:
- Create and place sprites (multiple copies of one as well) on a playfield
- sprite animation
multicolor sprite/pfcolor kernels (also the no_blank_line)
- missile creation (I won't it for this project, however)
- programming lives/ how to lose them
- sound effects
- items (temporarily invisibility cloaking device)
Things I've struggled with:
- creating working controls for the player
- proper playfield dimensions/structure (how to form a "good" screen that's big and isn't cut off when emulated, how to design a level for the 2600)
- Keeping Code Organized ( as the project gets bigger, I'm wondering how I'm going to keep everything straight/in their own sections)
Things I'll need to figure out/learn eventually for this project
- Title Screen
- moving from one screen to another
- applying a transition animation to that screen change (similar to the Zelda transition when you move screens)
- Enemy logic (A spotlight/ guard chasing you if you get to close to a guard or touch a spotlight it and lose health/ a life to it once)
- multiple "floors" with a few rooms on each floor, possibly the need to search the rooms for a key to get to the next floor
- progressive difficulty with each floor
- end goal that sends back to title screen
So yeah, if anyone could give me some advice or point me in the right direction that would be great. As of posting this, my current issue is the inability to get the player character to move.
I'm at work on my phone, so I'll have to wait until later to share the file/code, but If anyone has more advice, thoughts, scathing criticism, etc. I'd love to hear that as well ^^