IGNORED

Atari 8 bit video output to VGA...

Solomon_Man

Update on my cheap chinese brick :)

It turns out the first one i received was either defective or the firmware was buggy. The replacement I've got today works with no problem. It is exactly the same device with different firmware and a slightly different button configuration. So if you don't mind taking a risk and have plenty of time and can wait for the replacement to come in case the first device doesn't work, it is a good overall converter. Longevity remains to be seen.

Gargoyle can you post a link from where you bought your converter? I have a couple nice small square Sony VGA monitors that I wouldn't mind getting some use out of.

Thanks,

- Michael

I can't answer the question about the TI machines. I believe the Commodore DIN is also wired somewhat differently. That being said, it is quite easy to wire up your own cables using a standard 5-pin DIN, and multiple RCA jacks. I usually make mine with Composite, s-vid jack for separate luma/chroma (since I installed an s-vid jack on the back of my 1084S), and a single RCA for audio, which I can then split for TVs with stereo.

does anyone like ebay or amazon sell a 5 pin din cable for atari 800xl that works with no modification. I am going to need 2 cables for my exidy max a flex arcade games. They use a single rca for video (connecting to an ntsc to rgb pcb) and and single audio rca going to an audio amp/timer board. Basically the standard cable you could find everywhere 30 years ago.

• 1 month later...

All,

I know this is an old post....but I started it and I thought I would update things at least where I am at....

So I had a Cheap AV2HDMI unit that I already had along with a HDMI to VGA adapter....

The AV2HDMI;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Composite-3RCA-AV-to-HDMI-Converter-Adapter-AV2HDMI-Upscaler-HDMI-Cable-1080P-/331674931522?var=&hash=item4d395dd142:m:m_2eihad5tbNfsez8JbgXJQ

The HDMI to VGA;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-Male-to-VGA-With-Audio-HD-Video-Cable-Converter-Adapter-1080P-for-PC-B-/122484825109?var=&hash=item1c84aa1c15:m:m_crc-2sF3FU2ca0BKodAlA

The Cable was a bought 5 pin Din to 4x RCA outputs;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008N29OSG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I am using a Phillips LED TV 20 inch flat panel And a Viewsonic Monitor....I used the TV to verify where degradation occurs...

The Cable to the Composite in on the TV....Clear a whistle...I mean I really like that output much better than the RF.

The Cable to AV2HDMI to HDMI in on the TV...slightly blurry....but useable...seems like I can see vertical lines....but it worked...

The HDMI to VGA to monitor similar as the HDMI in to the TV....So the Composite in to the TV was clearly the best.

I am looking at purchasing the Composite SVideo RCA to PC VGA next;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TV-AV-Composite-S-Video-RCA-In-to-PC-VGA-Video-Converter-Box-Adapter-3-Cbale-/351938330226?hash=item51f128be72:g:je8AAOSwNKVXMa3U

I will probably see if I can use the HDMI to VGA as a VGA to HDMI out of curiosity/options....

If the above next test is better or the same as the Composite in to the TV...I will use it with my monitor....If not the Ambery is my last approach.

Thanks

Chris

Edited by Solomon_Man
  • Like 1

So I've been following along and did buy the converter pointed to by Gargoyle https://tinyurl.com/ladvu8e It looks the same as your Ebay unit but I can't vouch for how well your ebay unit works compared to mine.

The unit I have does a fine job with the S-video output from a UAV output, happy with it for the most part. Haven't done extensive testing but have noticed some lag so may have problems with fast game action. I would recommend the UAV mod, as it really improve the Atari output and S-Video output is very good.

The OSD comes up in Chinese so you will have to follow the skimpy manual to change the language. Press Menu 5 times and then press PIP to cycle through the Language selections. The P.P button sets the resolution, you'll need to go through them to find the best match for your monitor and hopefully your monitor can shift the picture Horz and Vert to center the picture.

Haven't tested the PIP feature yet but looking forward to using it to combine the Atari with a RPi HDMI-to-VGA signal.

Yogi

• Like 1

I'd just like to add that if you really want good results from any of these converters it's mandatory that you feed them the best quality video possible, and that means a UAV in my book. And there are some DIY video mods that also improve things, sometimes considerably depending upon the model of A8 you are using. But if you are trying to use the stock video out of the A8, and then up-convert that it'll look pretty bad in my opinion, unless it is S-video out of the 800.

Spend the $25 on the UAV and you won't be disappointed.

- Michael

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I know this thread is somewhat old, but in case someone else runs across this (like I did) trying to figure out the best way to connect their Atari to a VGA LCD:

I tried 3 other adapters that did not work before finding this thread and trying the one that Gunstar recommended (Ambery). That adapter is the only one that has worked correctly for me. The other ones produced horrible output (missing color, torn, shaking, etc).

@Gunstar: Thanks!!

• Like 1

... the one that Gunstar recommended (Ambery). That adapter is the only one that has worked correctly for me.

Seconded. Great product for a very affordable price.

Just surprised that there is absolutely no mention of the brand (Ambery) at the product. Not on the box, not on the hardware itself, and not on the manual. Very strange

• 2 weeks later...