Photo

Ultimate Atari Cart (Electrotrains) PURCHASE Thread

106 replies to this topic

#101 SS OFFLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• 5,639 posts

Posted Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:39 AM

I wanted to mention that there is an error about the Ultimate Cart in the Topics for Newbies thread comparison chart for the MultiCarts and SIO replacements. It says you can load single disk atr's, symbolized by the Yes and (1) in the ATR row under Ultimate Cart, but it does not.

I noticed that too.  The UNO Cart can load single disk ATRs but the Ultimate Cart cannot.  

#102 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

Dragonstomper

• 712 posts

Posted Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:57 AM

I noticed that too.  The UNO Cart can load single disk ATRs but the Ultimate Cart cannot.  

I noticed its lack of ATR support is mentioned a couple other places, but I think in the end, a lot of people may use the "big downloadable chart" to make a final decision with cluttered memories of the different carts' details. I've read a couple posts of someone surprised when they could not load ATRs with their Ultimate SD cart. I don't know how big of an issue it is, though, with A8 emulation as well as PC/Mac to machine devices available (SIO2PC/USB/SD, etc.), but it could be an unpleasant surprise.

#103 tep392 ONLINE  

tep392

River Patroller

• 2,761 posts

Posted Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:10 AM

There is a workaround that I have used, though it isn't terribly convenient.  You can create an Atarimax cart image that contains ATR files using the Maxflash Studio software.  Put the cart image on your Ultimate cart and load it when you boot.  Then use the Atarimax menu to select the ATR you want to run.  I've used this technique to copy ATR images to floppy disk.

#104 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

Dragonstomper

• 712 posts

Posted Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:34 AM

There is a workaround that I have used, though it isn't terribly convenient.  You can create an Atarimax cart image that contains ATR files using the Maxflash Studio software.  Put the cart image on your Ultimate cart and load it when you boot.  Then use the Atarimax menu to select the ATR you want to run.  I've used this technique to copy ATR images to floppy disk.

Still, sounds like a useful work-around. When you say "load it when you boot," do you just open the cart image like you would another file or folder on the Ultimate Cart or is there something special to be done when booting to get the AtariMax multicart image to load properly?

#105 tep392 ONLINE  

tep392

River Patroller

• 2,761 posts

Posted Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:50 AM

Still, sounds like a useful work-around. When you say "load it when you boot," do you just open the cart image like you would another file or folder on the Ultimate Cart or is there something special to be done when booting to get the AtariMax multicart image to load properly?

Yes, just open it like any other cart image.  Also, you can put more then one ATR images in the atarimax cart image you build and switch between them with ctrl-shft-numkey.  So I would put dos2.0 in the first slot and additional atr's in the following slots. My physical drive was set to drive 2.  I would boot dos2.0 from the atarimax menu then use ctrl-shift to switch the images I was going to copy into the drive 1 position.  Then just copy D1 to the physical D2.  But now I have an Sdrive^2 so I don't have to mess with all that anymore. :)

#106 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

Dragonstomper

• 712 posts

Posted Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:01 AM

Yes, just open it like any other cart image.  Also, you can put more then one ATR images in the atarimax cart image you build and switch between them with ctrl-shft-numkey.  So I would put dos2.0 in the first slot and additional atr's in the following slots. My physical drive was set to drive 2.  I would boot dos2.0 from the atarimax menu then use ctrl-shift to switch the images I was going to copy into the drive 1 position.  Then just copy D1 to the physical D2.  But now I have an Sdrive^2 so I don't have to mess with all that anymore. :)

I just got an SIO2PC, but I skipped the $50 registration/support option, so I may or may not be vexed by the free APE software for a while, since I have not tried it yet. Your work-around may be easier (or not) in the short-term. I've relied on Altirra emulation in the past for ATRs but trying to move to real hardware now.

#107 Philsan OFFLINE  

Philsan

River Patroller

• 3,384 posts
  • New Orleans Saints Super Bowl XLIV Champions

Posted Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:06 PM

I wanted to mention that there is an error about the Ultimate Cart in the Topics for Newbies thread comparison chart for the MultiCarts and SIO replacements. It says you can load single disk atr's, symbolized by the Yes and (1) in the ATR row under Ultimate Cart, but it does not.

Corrected, thanks.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users