IGNORED

AtariMax?

Bikerbob

I'm retired and sometimes it takes me a week to reply to someone. Seems like I do more running around now then when I was stuck at one place

9 hours a day(lunch included), five days a week! I've learned to slow down some and be patient (except with all the damned idiots on the freeways

(my wife swears I'm one of them).

David

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Let me get this right. w1k complained how old school and no good atarimax was on April 8th, placed an order in April 12th and is complaining on April 19th...

If it was "no good" why the hell place an order? Was it just so you could come back and complain?

• Like 4

From everything I've ever read, the logoart-3.png is the bomb! :thumbsup:

It's on my list was one of those MUST HAVE devices! It's just a matter of time, sadly too many things on my list right now though.

I'm so grateful that people take the time to invest in, design, troubleshoot, build and offer these kind of things to those of us who want EVERYTHING playable on these classic units.

• Like 5

Well my point to starting this thread was just that I have not been able to contact him.

I have bought and supported his products.. and in fact the more I learn if I really wanted to be frugal about running my 8-bit stuff (which I am not!!!) I could have just gotten away with an sio2pc and that would have given me just about everything I need with the use of an old PC laptop to slave.

So I was not in this to question or slag Steve's contributions to the hobby.. I just want my SIO2PC fixed! :) please!

James

Edited by Bikerbob

atarimax is bomb?

modern companies can order orders within 24 hours

AtariMax is one guy operating a side business supporting a hobbyist community's needs, as he has done for years. He almost certainly has a real job, probably a family and other hobbies. Patience would serve you well in life.

Your incessant trolling is getting tiresome.

• Like 8

if i have business, i taking care about my customers = communication, ordering, etc, etc, etc..

is year 2017, not 1971.. in 1971 if someone have business, job, family and no time for business, it was ok.. but no in 2017.

if i dont have time for my business - i close it.. huh?

this is critique, not trolling.. i dont critique to you:)

Edited by w1k

if i have business, i taking care about my customers = communication, ordering, etc, etc, etc..

is year 2017, not 1971.. in 1971 if someone have business, job, family and no time for business, it was ok.. but no in 2017.

if i dont have time for my business - i close it.. huh?

this is critique, not trolling.. i dont critique to you:)

Well if that was the golden rule of business, then that would cancel out three-quarters of the homebrew/retro-hardware business out there.

Is that what you want?

This is a 'hobby' for people with a certain amount of patience.

Perhaps a dose of realism is required when critiquing people who make stuff like the AtariMax products. Have you sat down and done the calculations for how much product a person would have to manufacture and sell to just barely pay the bills and have you considered the size of the customer-base? This is a niche market so you're lucky to even have products like this available at all.

Speaking from my own experience as a customer, the AtariMax cartridges revolutionized the way I use my Atari 800 and 800XL machines. I use it very often and I'm certainly glad it exists.

• Like 8

I think the problem is AtariMax presents itself as a business, not as a hobby. When you do that you assume certain responsibilities such as timely response, fast shipping, good PR and customer service. Nobody is critisizing say Simius or Hiassoft or Phaeron, Electrotrains, etc... they are hobbiests and they do what they do as a hobby. Not so with Atarimax, Lotharek etc... They do put up a business front and they must stand behind it whether they have a full-time job or not. So I am not sure who's trolling or who's really critisizing here but my opinon is such that anyone claiming to be a business must act like one.

Edited by gargoyle
  • Like 1

lotharek and all others who making something - excelent communication, fast replies to emails, everything OK

only atarimax is strange.. thats 1/20 ? one from 20 ? all others are superb.. so what a trolling?

We've had these threads before. Someone "innocently" asks if such and such is OK since they're not replying to emails, and a page later it's open season on the vendor in question. I'm not sure what the desired outcome is supposed to be.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 4

We've had these threads before. Someone "innocently" asks if such and such is OK since they're not replying to emails, and a page later it's open season on the vendor in question. I'm not sure what the desired outcome is supposed to be.

Well it is one of these smooth situations...

Why?, are we not supposed to express our opinion, what has this anything to do with the hunting season. The web is full of vendor reviews and not all of them are glorifying, that's life and we have to accept it as is, otherwise if one's skin is too thin, they shouldn't be in business in the first place. Funny thing is, it is not the vendor who is objecting to criticism, it is the "other" people who have no financial, business, or legal ties to him :)

Edited by gargoyle

As a community sometimes people can get protective of those who've given the community so much enjoyment. Sometimes negative criticism is warranted, other times not, especially when it looks like an unjustified pile-on attack. For those of us who've been online for a while, we've seen the results of too much negative activity. Sometimes the object of the attacks simply says something like, "I don't need this ___t.", they depart the scene, and the community suffers due the negative actions of a few.

If I were to give any unsolicited advice to anyone, I'd mention a few things...

1) Don't be annoying and don't be easily annoyed.

2) Realize that no one will ever be in 100% agreement with you or have the same goals, nor should they be expected to.

3) The world does not revolve around a single individual or their personal expectations.

4) The word SHOULD is only based on an opinion, and they vary.

5) Realize a 'hobby' is a spare time activity and don't assume others have more time to devote to you than their own family or job.

6) Relax, breathe, don't stress over minutiae or things beyond your control, you'll have a happier life.

7) Know that 'meltdowns' online only serve to make a fools of the ones having them, if anyone cares, they are simply laughing.

• Like 6

atarimax is bomb?

modern companies can order orders within 24 hours

Modern companies?!? Really? This is a VERY small community that your modern companies don't even know exist. So we get hobby-companies, since the only ones who care are others like ourselves, hobbyists. Some of us like just using our vintage computers, some like to upgrade them too (me), others enjoy doing programming and making us new games, some make new hardware and sell it, like AtariMax, who are around for years and you can depend on them having what they say they have because they care enough to make it as professional in service and product as possible. Then there are other making hardware who do one, two or maybe a few random "runs" of their hardware over the years, and sell there products like hobbyists when they feel like it, and not as a dependable service year in and year out, but are they getting trashed on because somebody can't get a hold of them to buy a limited run product they did last year? NO/

As was said above by others, whether you try and be as professional as possible or not, it is ALL just a hobby for us and not a career! Maybe the poor guy is in the hospital or something. Maybe he's had to go on the road for his REAL job for a while. It could be anything, but Steve has been around forever, and usually runs his company BETTER than your "modern" companies when it comes to long-term service. I know this is as a fact from personal experience and he's done more for me as a customer with a problem than I ever got from any "modern" company or big corporation. Including a free replacement with free shipping, no questions asked. More than one time too, and it wasn't from a bad product, I broke the stuff myself! And told him so! I was just wanting to pay for repairs! Ever get service like that from your "modern" companies? Punk.

Almost all my upgrades in my 1200XL and 1050 are Atarimax, as well as external devices too, and it's because of great service, quality product that lasts for years that I've gone back to him at least a dozen times for his products, including ones not listed at his site, like a Rambo compatible memory upgrade (must e-mail and ask for it). I've been enjoying Atarimax products and service for well over a decade.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 7

W1K, I have never seen anything shipped from the USA to Slovakia ever arrive in the time frame your wishing for.... I would stress that whenever it ships, (at longest a week or so) That it will take at least that long plus Slovakian post to sort inspect deliver. I know there is a language barrier and also some forcefulness involved. Realize also that sometimes they return ship if the slightest thing is incorrect on the paperwork and then it's doubly long. Sometimes it requires the recipient to see(photo) the reason why it was refused to translate and help redo the shipment/document to get it there. This is the case often with overseas shipments coming and going. This has and always will be the case. Please offer help to your hobbyist vendor, he is trying to help you but may not know how to respond. This is a communications break down compounded by frustration on both parties as strongly worded emails tend to cause ill will among men.

Any Slovak want to help W1K? He can use some effort on translation of thought to word. It starts out unintentional but ends up in spiral as both sides travel down that bumpy road.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Why?, are we not supposed to express our opinion, what has this anything to do with the hunting season. The web is full of vendor reviews and not all of them are glorifying, that's life and we have to accept it as is, otherwise if one's skin is too thin, they shouldn't be in business in the first place. Funny thing is, it is not the vendor who is objecting to criticism, it is the "other" people who have no financial, business, or legal ties to him :)

There appear to be a sufficient number of eager virtue signallers ready to add criticism as well. ;)

• Like 5

I bought an item from Poland a couple of years ago, the thing was shipped that very day, exited Europe and arrived in the United States within 3 days... where it promptly languished in customs for 10 days... before taking another 5 days to make it across the country. It was the longest 18 days I've experienced in my adult life. I dunno how long it takes to go the other direction.