IGNORED

Atari 130XE + Ultimate 1MB 2k14 + SIDE2 - how to configure?

Scyzor

I have got Ultimate 1MB (rev. 2k14) and SIDE2 from Lotharek for my 130XE. SIDE2 was working right the way with default 130XE setup then I have decided to install Ultimate 1MB. After successful installation (I can see Ultimate Setup page w/o any glitches) I have try to configure all with SIDE2 but I have got into problems to get all devices to work together.

My current Ultimate configuration looks like

UE5XTM4.jpg

With configuration like above SIDE2 (SIDE Loader) is not loading at all (switch on the cartridge is set up - LED light) and Atari is booting into the SpartaDOS X with a prompter as D3: not D1: When I have set SIDE hardware to disabled then SIDE Loader is loading as should but no real time clock functionality and other features from Ultimate are present.

Another test was with the SIDE2 switch set to lower position - towards the computer. I think in that configuration SpartaDOS should to see SIDE2 as a disk but is not or I do something wrong :\

I have "googled" to find anything similar to my case but whatever I have found it wasn't look like mine setup (Ultimate and SIDE Loader screens totally different). Mine was bought from Lotharek's site at the end of December past year and based on his description of the product it is " ready to use, always newest firmware, flashed".

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

As Kyle says, update the firmware in your U1MB. After that, you can go right into the loader for the SIDE2 cart from the U1MB firmware page, or boot into the loader directly. The new firmware even adds the ability to boot .ATR files, and the optional ability to select multiple .ATR files on the SIDE2 CF card and use the little button on the top of the cart to cycle through them - this is great for multi-disk games and such. :)

OK. It looks like I need to update both - U1MB and SIDE2 but is there any particular order to do that? There is nothing about that on the site if you need to flash both devices with a new firmware.

From the documentation it looks like I need to follow steps from "Updating with the SIDE XEX Loader" but under that section there is something called "All-in-One Firmware Update". Should I run that as I have U1MB? If so it doesn't say anything if I should to use UFlash for that or not and if this will flash both devices or still just only U1MB?

Thanks

Okay, personally, I do *NOT* update my U1MB from the SIDE Loader. Rather, I use an .ATR disk image der mounted as D1: in RespeQt software running on a modern computer, and connected to the Atari with an SIO2USB device. I then enable SpartaDOS X on my U1MB without the SIDE2 cart installed, boot to the D1: prompt and at the D1: prompt type, X UFLASH.XEX

​UFLASH boots, recognizes the U1MB, and I update each firmware slot one by one from files on the .ATR

After my U1MB is updated, I update my SIDE2 cart basically the same way, except I disable SDX in the U1MB, boot to the SDX contained on the SIDE2 cart, and then do the same procedure, this time updating the SDX slot on the SIDE2 with the latest version.

Well, I do not have SIO2PC or SIO2USB :( So there is no way to flash SIDE2 w/o that?

PS.

Any suggestions where I can get SIO2PC in the States? I prefer to get it quick rather than waiting for my order from Lotharek.

Edited by Scyzor

Well provided you can get the UFLASH.XEX file and the updated ROM files onto your CF card, you should be able to load UFLASH.XEX from the SIDE Loader on your SIDE2 cart.

As for a US source for an SIO2PC device, assuming you don't want to build one yourself, Steve Tucker (AtariMax) sells his device but lately orders seem to take about two weeks to arrive so you might as well order from Lotharek if the wait is your consideration.

Definitely pay close attention when you're doing the flashing! I was tired when I did it and managed to flash my SIDE2 with the U1MB firmware image on Friday night.

I temporarily recovered by physically swapping the flash chips between the SIDE2 and the U1MB. They're the same size (physically and logically) but they are from different vendors and use different flash programming algorithms. I was able to reprogram the SIDE2 once I had them swapped, but I had to manually specify the flash type in the flashing software.

The next day I was able to get things back to normal by reprogramming both flash chips with their correct firmware in an external EPROM programmer... though for some reason the SIDE2 was still not quite right after this. I got it back to normal by using the standalone SIDE reflasher program in a different computer which did not have the U1MB installed.

post-52761-0-25991000-1491226427_thumb.jpg

So back on track. Whatever I see right now - for U1MB and SIDE2 are firmware written by Candle and all references floating on the internet are mostly for the software from Atari8.co.uk site as a new, rewritten versions.

To flash U1MB I can use SIDE2 to load UFlash.xex and follow steps from "Updating with the SIDE XEX Loader" or ""All-in-One Firmware Update" (which is better in my case?). Be sure I will choose right device to flash ;)

To flash SIDE2 - I'm not sure in that case. I know that I need to disable SDX and SIDE PBI on U1MB but can I flash directly from CF card or do I need to use SIO2PC? That situation reminds me times 6 years ago with rooted android phones when ClockworkMod app show up which allows to flash custom ROM directly from the phone, which was handy-dandy for quick nandroids and flash-tests, but there was a high risk of ending up with a bricked phone. For SIDE2 flashing case I want to double check before I will do something what I shouldn't ;)

Any tips are welcome!

Edited by Scyzor

The firmware packages all have README files attached and if you download the user guide that also contains guidance for actually updating the flash ROMs.

http://atari8.co.uk/firmware/

http://atari8.co.uk/apt/documentation/

There's an AIO ROM package in the U1MB download from atari8.co.uk. The others "floating around" aren't guaranteed up to date and will contain different collections of operating systems, etc. In addition to the AIO 512KB ROM, there's also (for U1MB) a 64KB firmware blob you can apply with UFLASH which contains Main BIOS, PBI BIOS and loader. You can't really go wrong with that (you flash it to the "firmware" slot).

You can update SIDE direct from the old XEX loader providing it's of a sufficiently recent revision that it allows "D1:" access to the FAT partition.

1. Place UFLASH.XEX and the ROMs in the FAT partition of the CF card

2. Disable everything except 1MB of RAM in U1MB

3. Put the SIDE switch in the lower (SDX) position

4. Boot SDX from the SIDE cart

5. Type CAR at the SDX prompt

6. In the (old) XEX loader, find UFLASH.XEX and run it

7. Navigate to your new SDX or loader ROM and flash

The SIDE needs to be in SDX mode, BTW, because in loader mode, the bottom 256KB (the SDX area) of the flash ROM is not accessible.

• Like 1

While on the topic, I'm facing a similar "dilemma", I just don't have SIDE2, just the U1MB.

Is there any benefit for me to flash your new firmware? (apart from candies like setting the time or better hardware info)

Also, what if somethings go wrong or I just want to return to the old firmware, is it available somewhere?

While on the topic, I'm facing a similar "dilemma", I just don't have SIDE2, just the U1MB.

Is there any benefit for me to flash your new firmware? (apart from candies like setting the time or better hardware info)

Also, what if somethings go wrong or I just want to return to the old firmware, is it available somewhere?

Yes, here: http://lotharek.pl/zasoby/produkty/67/pliki/UltiUPG.atr

If nothing else, Jon's firmware has "native" support for HSIO so you can take advantage of much faster SIO operations without the need for a specially-patched version of the Atari OS. It's also vastly more configurable than the original Candle firmware.

It's also a lot prettier. :)

There's really no downsides to updating to use the new firmware, aside from the tiny risk any time you flash memory. Many of us have been using Jon's work as it evolved for the last couple years with no problem, or only small configuration or incompatibility issues, which Jon addresses very quickly when they're pointed out to him. In short, Jon's a pro and his firmware work is FANTASTIC. I cannot imagine using the U1MB without it.

• Like 6

You can dump the current firmware (or the entire 512KB ROM) using UFLASH (just press 'D' on the appropriate slot and provide a filename) and revert to it later so you preserve all your custom stuff.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2

Has anyone ever done a guide to an emulated setup, I did ask a Looooooong and I think Jon did help me but a. I never keep the message an b. I've done so many HD additions to real machine ie SCSI drives on the Amiga etcetc that all the knowledge is somewhat blurred. Also new users to Altirra may want to do all this and I've not since found a sort of guide so they can try these types of setups but emulated fully using the latest Ult roms without the need for flashing (the flashing part even emulated may put people off even though they can't do real damage).

Just a guide to setting up an emulated HD, what size can and can't be used, what roms to use, how to do it without the CF card, that sort of thing.

That's if anyone has the time, stuff like this could be a sticky or go in the new users section.

I know its dull as ditch water and if I still had the info I'd do it but as I never actually had a HD on my real machine and my first playing with HD and all the prep work was on the Amiga where it was all new and not very friendly means I'm not the guy for this sadly.

Well, I do not have SIO2PC or SIO2USB :( So there is no way to flash SIDE2 w/o that?

PS.

Any suggestions where I can get SIO2PC in the States? I prefer to get it quick rather than waiting for my order from Lotharek.

Sloopy (on AA) has SIO2pcUSB for sale, he is in NE USA.. he is pretty quick too.. I think he has a couple left.

There is also RAY in Toronto Canada - he has his SIO2PCUSB as well. Atareiwarez - actually one of the first that pops up on google.

James

I made a similar cable, but I didn't hack, chop and tape. Also, it takes more than three wires to do it right.

You need Ground, Receive, Transmit and Command. Power is supplied from USB side. You could leave out Command and set it up using software protocol in RespeQt, but this is a poor solution.

Please build these correctly and use the Command line as intended. Also, some non-FTDI chips need a diode unless you are using them as your only SIO device. Genuine FTDI is best.

• Like 1

I made a similar cable, but I didn't hack, chop and tape. Also, it takes more than three wires to do it right.

You need Ground, Receive, Transmit and Command.

Description from that video tells

Atari SIO Black wire to Serial to USB Black wire (this is GND signal - Atari SIO Pin4 )

Atari SIO Green wire to Serial to USB White wire (this is TXD signal - Atari SIO Pin5)

Atari SIO Orange wire to Serial to USB Green wire (this is RXD signa - Atari SIO Pin3)

Where Command suppose to be connected on the USB side?